Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its time to replace the springs in my clutches. but what im really concerned with is what spring do you think will give me more snap at the low end without sacrificing alot on the top end?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I haven't put much testing into mine yet, I put an almond round in there and am very happy with initial results. However the almond has a higher finish rate than stock, so I think that might over-rev the sled.
In that case, an almond/blue would work better because it has the same finish rate as stock. I only put an almond in because I had one laying around.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
The stock black spring is a 120/310, The almond round is a 140/330 and will increase the engagement along with increasing the peak RPM a bit because of the higher finish rate as said by Polaris_Parts_MN, the almond blue is a 150/310 and will probably increase the engagement 3-500 RPM's depending on how new the belt is and where the belt to clutch sheave clearance is set, just keep in mind that too high of a engagement will just cause more track spin out of the hole unless you have good traction.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks guys. I don't need much of a difference. I'm thinking even just replacing with stock there will be a much better change.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
98700xc said:
The stock black spring is a 120/310, The almond round is a 140/330 and will increase the engagement along with increasing the peak RPM a bit because of the higher finish rate as said by Polaris_Parts_MN, the almond blue is a 150/310 and will probably increase the engagement 3-500 RPM's depending on how new the belt is and where the belt to clutch sheave clearance is set, just keep in mind that too high of a engagement will just cause more track spin out of the hole unless you have good traction.
Numbers are all right, but the stock spring in these is the dark blue, later substituted by the dark blue/white. Mine engaged at 3500 with the stock, and at 4200 with the almond, so I'm think just a tad higher than that with an almond/blue.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[?]
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
98700xc said:
Numbers are all right, but the stock spring in these is the dark blue, later substituted by the dark blue/white. Mine engaged at 3500 with the stock, and at 4200 with the almond, so I'm think just a tad higher than that with an almond/blue.

Ok I'm thinkin ill go with the almond. How does the top end work out with that?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
MuscleD said:
[?]
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
98700xc said:

No idea yet. Still have lots of testing to do when the snow flies. Only got to run it once down the water drainage ditch in the backyard this summer, so only took it to 30mph. I wish I remembered what the peak RPM was with the stock spring so I'd have an estimate what the peak RPM might be with the almond.

Also with the almond spring, there were square and round versions, both have the same spring rates but the square was more prone to breaking

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
MuscleD said:
[?]
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
98700xc said:

No idea yet. Still have lots of testing to do when the snow flies. Only got to run it once down the water drainage ditch in the backyard this summer, so only took it to 30mph. I wish I remembered what the peak RPM was with the stock spring so I'd have an estimate what the peak RPM might be with the almond.

Also with the almond spring, there were square and round versions, both have the same spring rates but the square was more prone to breaking
ok ill keep a look out for the round ones. and the peak rpm with stock is about 8000 rpm. mabey ill get both and see what i like best. i think im gonna call the local dealer too.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
98700xc said:
Just going by what the Polaris parts finder search and partsland info provided and both sites stated it was a black spring,I've never been into the clutching on those 500's so I had no idea of what was in them from the get go, another good spring to use that has the same rate as the stock BLUE spring is a TEAM white which also has a 120/310 rate, there are other tangibles that will affect engagement and peak RPM, you just cannot go by spring rates alone, belt condition, clutch sheave to belt clearance, deflection and what hole the secondary helix is set it will have a slight effect on peak RPM also, a EPI RED 145/300 could also be used, 10 pounds of finish rate on a primary spring is not going to affect peak RPM very much if at all, the only way your gonna find out is to test some different springs, of course your gonna need a long enough run to be able to run the sled out at full throttle and be able to watch the tach to see if it hits your target peak RPM and also if it holds there or creeps up or falls off a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts