Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.

I just bought a 1999 Yamaha Sx 500 Vmax for 1500 dollars this fall, hoping for a good all around sled with enough power to keep up with big dogs. I liked its rear suspension desgin, and its front, since it has some hefty parts. I also like how Clean and nice it was kept, and its racey look. But, a friend of mine commented on how i need a real sled to have any fun, and I am Quite sure I have bought a real sled, since so far until then, I have only heard good things about that model. He tells me that the stock suspension settings will make me push through corners instead of pull through, because my skis dont have much weight on the ground. then he started commenting on my motor. I am Quite sure it is a reed valve 500 liquid with flat slides. and in my mind those add up to some good clean pure power. all I want to know is if im totally mistaken or not, since I have little experience with these models.

[galleryattach=13133]

-thanks guys

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Youll easily keep up in trails. You can setup your own suspension to make it perform the way you want it to. Your friend has no idea what hes talking about. Nice sled and great price.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I agree with the above. Nice sled and it will be a great ride.
The Yami's do have lots of adjustments on the suspension. There are so many combos, that you can fine tune to your liking.
If you need help learning about all the settings, check out the tech section on http://www.totallyamaha.com/

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fired up my SX today and rode it. It ran really good then got a little boggy at times, since the gas is from last year. thats what I meant By that

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would assume that there was gas sitting in them, but I purchased it from a dealer who went through it all this fall, and they didnt put new gas in. I believe they cleaned carbs and did all the anual checks. It was actually the Owners personal sled. I put some HEET for 2-strokes in the gas, and I filled it up with fresh gas, so it has half fresh half old. It seemed like a fouled plug, but im not too sure because the plugs werent bad at all. Not even fouled much. I did put new plugs in, and checked to see if the chokes were stuck on or anything, and started it and it ran better, but still bogged a bit every now and then, Normal symptoms of bad gas. Are those flat slide carbs complicated to pull apart?

-Jake

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this is our snowfall and my sled: [galleryattach=13178]

this is the day i bought it: [galleryattach=13179]

any idea how much horsepower these 500's put out? and when it was running good it felt like I could take on anything. like.. It might be because its my first ride of season, but I think this has a better power than my older 95 vmax 600, and the 600 has only 1000 miles on it..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
alright.. thanks..

happy trails this winter. be safe... and, do you ever come up above the bridge into the U.P. to ride? you'll never want to leave if you do!

-peace-

1 - 20 of 69 Posts