Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the usual oil in the gas and all as we are supposed to for break in at 50:1,
so I did oil foul 1 set of plugs. I can live with that, I brought a 6 pack of them as this is normal with all the assembly lube and the double oil along with not being able to go full throttle and clean it yet.
The ONLY other negative was the under the seat bag I bought,
the zipper didn't work, so I had to carry the 18 pounds of tool roll in my backpack, so that made it a little heavy on me, not too bad though.

Now the rest is totally positive.

First the set up.
I went with just the SLP can since I do have a 4 year bumper to bumper on it and even though the SLP single is a no-flash variety, I think that technically it does still void warrantee.
From there, all I did was to add risers, bars, grips, brake line, cable, and dual throttle kit.
That set me up 3 inches taller than stock riser and bars.
Basically a stock sled (Most stock I've EVER owned)

The conditions.
WE NEED SNOW
It did snow big wet flakes all day on us pretty steady, but only netted us a few inches and frozen goggles.
It was powdery, but not enough to even think of getting off trail much. Went through a bit of brush and stuff in places.
No base, we were riding in it.
Supposed to get dumped on all this week though so I'll go back probably Sat, maybe sun or both

The air shocks up front felt really awsome with that IQ skid.
The sled soaked up bumps better than any other I've ridden.
Very confidence inspiring.
The fat skis seamed to float everything well.

It's a big sled and I can feel all that length hanging out behind me, but it's very light and easy to move around.
The tall seat is nice, feels all narrow like a dirt bike seat.
Big improvement over Edge or Wedge either one.

As for the power out put and feel,
The motor was a little tight at first and I was not going to give it too much as it needs to work in a little first.
It was very responsive though, even right at first.
We were just on the trail and not going real fast, so I was able to fan the throttle lots and just get the feal of it through bumps and all.
I did a quick 1/3 throttle climb in this gravel pit that went up maybe 50 feet and right back down the other side.
No hesitations, it held the left ski up and went at a really hard sidehill angle to the top with no problem at all.
That made me smile.

It just worked perfectly all day.
No vibration issues. Jumped well and landed a 6 foot drop onto flat well too.
That one jarred my wrists a little, but it was fun.

At about 1.5 on the hour meter, I could feel the motor really start to come to life.
It would lift the skiis across any thing I wanded with out hesitation.
I do like that.
I had just over 2 hours on it and finally gave it a little full throttle. It went straight to 8100 quickly and I let off.
Didn't want to push too hard too fast.

On the way back I lined up beside my friend on a 99 RMK with a Struthers built 800 and Holtz skid etc and we did 3 short rolling start drag races.
All 3 times we held even to mid and then I would walk away from him at will.
We traded sleds for a few minutes and so it was his turn to walk away from me. It did this on double oil with a reletively tight motor, and so this really impresses me in particular.

We even cut our Christmas tree while up there.
I threw it over my shoulder and rode 1 handed the last mile and a half out.
That was a little difficult.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Big smiles on that report. Sounds like a great sled. Wish we could drive out and join you. Have fun.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Awesome review. I'm glad the sled is everything you expected and maybe even more! I've heard lots of positive things about the Dragons and it's bound to get even better with the flatlanders getting the 121's in!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
good to here its working good for you. Im glad to see you dont have some of the bogging problems that others have been having. I cant wait till next year. I sure hope there will be an 800 dragon in the lineup. cause ill be the first to snowcheck one of those.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey Student Driver,
Where do you ride? I see your in Boise, I'm 120 miles away in Jerome. Have you ever been to Fairfield. Thats where I go riding most of the time. Good hills to climb, pretty good snow up there. Anyway I was just curious where you ride around Boise. Thanks
Gerald

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've ridden Fairfield a few times. Really liked it a lot.
You offering to play tour guide?

I ride Pilots and the surrounding areas quite a bit, West Mountain is good

I wish I knew my way around Brundage better as well as the Trinities.
I've ridden both, but not enough to know my way around worth a damn.

·
Registered
80 Posts
WY Rider didn't Polairs do away with the snowcheck program after last year? At least that's what I heard.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
So when you coming down here to ride? We need more snow here too. Snow conditions are pathetic and I am new to the mountains even. It snowed about 3 inches here in the valley so hopefully the hills got dumped on so we can go out this weekend again.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Originally posted by RMK550
[br]WY Rider didn't Polairs do away with the snowcheck program after last year? At least that's what I heard.
they don't "do away" with the program they just close it down for half of the year, if you go to Polaris's web site you can still get to their snow-check site but it will say that you have to wait till next spring or something before it will let you go any further

I think by "ended" they only mean for the season, not entirely
http://www.polarisindustries.com/FactoryConnection/

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
ACG, do some riding for me!

This whole no snow crap is really getting depressing[xx(]

and Student Driver, it's nice to see such a great review on the sled, hopefully you'll get some more time in the seat, have fun this season and get some pics of it in the snow when you get a chance.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Awesome review, i've been hearing nothing but good things about the dragon. Polaris might be making there way back to the top of the mountain sled class.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
That's an excellent report SD, but when do we get pics... or did I miss them somewhere? You are correct the SLP pipe does void your warranty, but I only have to wait a year to get mine [:D] Did the can open up after you put some miles on it? Mine sounds a little restricted yet...

With some luck, in 2 weeks I will be giving the switchback it's first ride. Now you got me really excited, as if the 3 months staring at the sled didnt do it.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We got a winter storm warning last night that said they expect a foot where we ride and the local weather reports all say rain here in the valley all week but Saturday and mountain snow all while it's raining down here.

I'm going up in the powder on Saturday.
Now we gan get off the trail and actually ride.
This will be the real test of how the sled is.
With a fairly loosened up motor and powder.

The can still sounds sort of restrictive, but even so, the motor is extremely responsive.
No pictures yet, I'll fix that Saturday

·
Registered
316 Posts
Student Driver,
I would be happy to play tourguide. I am looking at those Dragons also for my new sled next year. I have heard nothing but great reviews on them. So I have it between a Dragon or the M-8. I have the year to decide I guess. Don't think my ZR700 will keep up with your Dragon. But if you wait up for me, I can point you in the right direction. LOL

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
sounds nice. whos left throttle kit did you go with? where did you get the longer brake lines and throttle extenders. just funnin.
sounds like she is everything you want it to be!!

please send us a pic of someone having fun. it has been almost 40 for a week with a little rain. tommarrow is almost going to be 50 if the sun comes out. I will be mowing grass before riding the sled at this rate.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by madcow
[br]sounds nice. whos left throttle kit did you go with? where did you get the longer brake lines and throttle extenders.
I don't know. Some A Hole I found on the internet.... lol

Hey Madcow,
I know how you like [xx(] getting these E-Mails, so I'll give it to you here instead.
It sort of pertains to the thread any way. Enjoy: [BeerPull]

I looked at the snowtel site (National water survey people measure hourly)
and they show an additional 2 feet from last week at 6,100 feet in the same area.
The weather report says over a foot today over 7,000 feet, freezing level at 5,500 to 6,000 feet.
It's raining like hell in town right now at 2,700 feet, and supposed to do that til late tonight and clear off in town tomorrow morning.
That should be another day to get up over the mountains and a sunny clear and powdery day on Saturday.

EDIT: I love living in the West.
Now back to Mad Cow's E-Mail.

The parking lot where we unload is at 6,155 and we ride up over 7,500 feet and hang out in the 7,000 to 8,500 foot range all day.
Should be some where just over 4 feet up there, I'm thinking.

This Saturday will be a much better test for the Dragon and I'll get some pictures too.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
4 feet. other than drift and swamps with grass I have never seen a field of 4 feet. you just keep giving us pics and we can live vicarously through you.

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by madcow
[br]4 feet. other than drift and swamps with grass I have never seen a field of 4 feet. you just keep giving us pics and we can live vicarously through you.
I'd have to be a ditch banger if I lived back there.
No 2 ways about it. My wife would HATE that too.
Looks like fun.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts