Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new here but this site looks kool. Im having some real problems with a 89 Ovation carb! Can anyone tell me the fix for this over engineered piece of ....! I've goon through it several times and still to much fuel. I've been told to get an intake and carb off an enticer and pitch the 2 barrel. Problem is this is my wifes sled and the grand kids, and I wouldn't have an air box?
How can it be fixed?
Thanks KCCats

·
Registered
366 Posts
Does the float/s float? Inlet valve not sealing? Fuel pump diphragm ruptured?
Putting a different carb on could be opening a big can of worms.
Describe the problem fully, how it started and what you have done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I'm so frustrated with this thing. It's a 89 Ovation, ran good last year, even ran this summer. It's getting too much fuel and if you just peg it, it will bog and die out with a backfire sometimes. I've gone through a box of plugs or more, cleaned the carb several times even dipped over night, replaced the float needle ($20) and the gasket ($7) still nothing. I pulled it apart and reringed it and cleaned up the porting, still nothing. took the chain case apart and ran it without the chain, I even fired it up without the exh oh my god its loud, but it seemed better not sure. I heated the pipe up with a torch and raped on it, nothing.
So I'm back to the carb? Was told on another sight to replace with an enticer setup, but I wouldn't have an air box. I guess Yamaha had isues with the 2 barrel?
Does anyone know what the fix for the 2 barrel would be?

·
Registered
366 Posts
You may have been on the right track with the muffler. May be a mouse nest inside. Heating it with the torch may not have done anything - I have seen that tried and when it did not work, the muffler was cut open and there was a mouse nest in it.
Cut a door into it - three sides and remember to keep the cut as thin as possible so it can be welded back shut easily. A jig saw would probably work well. Cut in a place where there are no weld puddles on the surface - that is where the baffles are welded to it.

It would be unusual for a carb to cause the problem you describe without anything having been changed- to idle okay and then go rich when the throttle is opened.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll give it a try. I have opened cans before and even reshaped an exh complete.
Thanks
Has anyone heard of anything with the 2barrel?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I got one also it's the daughters sled,runs great ,do you use ISOHEAT could be a water problem,also have to make sure you're needle and seat are good ,next time take carb off turn upside down and put a hose on the inlet ,then blow ,if air get threw it probly bad ,also could try putting a small fuel filter on the line going to the carb ,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts