Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[?]I have a buddy that I am/was going to buy a 151" track off of and put on my T-Cat but every third window is closed and it is only clipped every third window. My concern is that with some additional mods I will be putting out 200 HP and around 130 ft/lbs of torque. I think I need all windows clipped to handle the torque and power output of the sled. Any info would be great thanks

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Wow, 200hp hu! That's out of my relm of knowledge. Good luck with the mods though. Sorry I couldn't help.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
200HP is a number that I am shooting at but shouldn't be unrealistic it starts with 172 stock. I'll take pictures of the progress and post this summer.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
umm. The windows don't have anything to do with what kind of power you have to the track. Not unless you were running extrovert drivers anyway. All they are there for is for the metal clips to go on, to run against the hyfax.

If you have a 2" paddle track, obviously your running in deep enough snow that your track will get plenty of cooling and lubricating snow. Don't go more than 100 feet on hard pack though, or you WILL melt your sliders.

-Dean

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Originally posted by 2000TCMC
[br]200HP is a number that I am shooting at but shouldn't be unrealistic it starts with 172 stock. I'll take pictures of the progress and post this summer.
Cool, can't wait to see em'!!!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I was considering extroverts so that I could run the track sloppy loose but doesn't look like I'll be able to go that way. I will probably install ice scatchers to help when I'm running on hard pack or ice. but for the most part I try to stay in the deep stuff but you know how that goes you always end up riding a trail to get there or a river or what ever and I thought that having the windows closed wouldn't allow as much snow up through the track to the hifax. I'm on my third set of hyfax and it only has 850 miles on it. But hyfax are cheap.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ripperd,
I did make the original post without thinking about how the track was driven (I realized my mistake/mis understanding shortly after I posted the topic I figured someone would point it out.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I'm not greatly expirienced in high HP sleds, but from what I can tell, with 200HP, you really are going to want 4 drivers, and extroverts if possible. Your going to have to run the track pretty tight to not rachet with that much power if you get any kind of traction.

So I agree with your thinking, a fully windowed and clipped track would be best so that you could run extroverts. The only reason they skip some, is cost, and weight.

-Dean

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good info HighSierra, I can buy a fully clipped full window track for less than buying a good used track and having the work done. But the info on the page has helped make my descision a lot easier. I think I should go with the full window track. (Thanks for the help)

·
Registered
331 Posts
hey, I saw above mention of Extroverts, I went to trackpunch.com and see them there, my question is this....can any tooth arrangment fit to any track? Or is it like if you have a 144" track then you need an 8tooth Extrovert, or if you have a 155" track then you need a 10 tooth Extrovert..???or are the teeth spaced such that they will fit any track as long as all windows are punched out?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you run extroverts or No Slips you will need the same size # of drive teeth as you run stock but will need to move the rails back slightly to clear or you could go one size smaller (ie 9tooth to 8tooth) It is not track length specific more a matter of how much tunnel/cooler clearance you have.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTW,
Bought a fully clipped soft compound A/C design track yesterday from Tracksusa. Great guy to do business with very helpful and knowledgable about tracks and gave good answers to all of my questions. great vendor. Just need to pick up my tunnel extension tomorrow then I'll have my work cut out for me.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Exactly... (on the #teeth for the exrtroverts) It's all about getting those paddles (or fingers) to not hit the front cooler (or back of the bulkhead if no cooler. You can use the exact same track with any size drivers...The spacing between the drivers teeth remains constant.... it's the diameter of the driver that is smaller.

The Pictures of the Extroverts that they sell at the Trackpucnch.com place are not the best ones you can get.... especially for you 2000TCMC if you're going to go with only 2 drivers... Look for the ones that drive both sides of the lugs rather than just one side. I got mine from Wahl Bros Racing..... They are SWEET!!!

Good call on the Tracks USA guy....he's an A+ Vendor!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shipping to Alaska is usually a killer but Tracks USA shipped USPS not UPS and saved me $60 on the shipping. Nice to see a vendor out there who is trying to save customers money on shipping. Most places only ship UPS to Alaska, sucks cause by the time you pay shipping it is almost as cheap to buy local. And if it is close in price thats what I do. Couldn't touch a track locally for the price I paid.

Your right on Tracks USA is an A+ vendor.

Depending on how much work it is to take out the drive shaft I may just stick with my stock drivers unless I have a ratching problem. Can pick up a set of combo no slips (the ones that drive both sides and the center) for $160 locally. TracksUSA was out of the ones I want cause for $100 that he wanted I would have just installed them now.

G

·
Hi, I am the guy that made a 550 fan into a 144" track sled. I had a small problem with the closed window track on my 700. It would slip if I didn't keep it pretty tight. The stock drivers pull on both sides of the two inside drivers and off the inside of both outside drivers. It pulls on 6 lugs across the track at the same time. To use the extrovert driver you will need to use a fully clipped track, as they also pull on the cross bars between the holes. One of the guys I ride with cut out the closed windows on his track and installed the missing clips. It was alot of work to do but turned out fine. Changing the drivers is not really any big deal. You will need to find a buddy with a hydraulic press though. Just press of the old ones and press on the new ones. They are a pretty tight press fit. .030 press or so. At first glance they look like the hole is just to small but they are plastic and press on without much trouble. You want to make sure the drive lugs are all lined up. You could have a real mess if the timing was off. The drive shaft is 6 sided the the drivers are either 8 or 9 tooth or 10 tooth. Believe me, they only go on position in one place on the shaft in relation to the teeth. 8,9,and 10 don't divide by 6 evenly, if that makes sence. A 6 tooth driver could go on and match up no matter what and so would a 12, but those are not your choices so be carefull when you install new drivers that all the teeth line up.

Once again, good luck on your project.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by 2000TCMC
[br]Good info HighSierra, I can buy a fully clipped full window track .....I think I should go with the full window track. (Thanks for the help)
That's what he did....good info though.

WTF is the real reason that Camoplast even makes those closed window tracks anyways, better floatation, or as was mentioned cheaper to produce.

G

·
The thinking behind the closed window was that the snow that made it up into the track would stay there and not fall though the holes. It also has less weight. All those metal clips add weight pretty fast. I have closed windows on two of my sleds and open on the other. I don't really see much advantage either way unless you want to use extroverted drivers. We mostly ride in deep snow but at times we have to ride a hard trail for miles and I have never had any problem with eatin up tracks or hifax on either type of track. We put 9,000 miles on a 99 Phazer and never did change the HIfax. The skis wore through the skins and the steel at about 8,000. Yep, thats right, wore all the way through the skis. My father said. "This thing has not been turning very good this season" He rides 3,000 miles a year. Lucky guy. I got 1200 this year and thought I had a good one.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey 1200 sounds like a good year to me. We had to drive quite a ways 180+ miles one way for really good snow this year. But it was really good snow. Hence the change to a 151" track and the higher handle bars. Hope to get closer to your 1200 next year. I will post pics of the project by the end of the month (I hope)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts