Snowmobile Fanatics banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out ice fishing with the boys yesterday and on my way back home there was these 2 f cats on the lake putting on a little show ,, i told my friends that i HAD to go home ,unpack my machine and go drag with those 2 sleds.
I don't know if they were stock or something was wrong with them ,, but i'll tell you what, they couldn't come CLOSE to me on top end ,, at 660 ft i was about 4 lenghts ahead of both of em , and only pulling away further and further ,,,'
THey wanted to see what was under my hood and i had no problems showing them my 1000cc engine that was stock ,, only had my clutch worked on ,,,,,,
Just Goes to say , that even though my machine weighed almost 100 lbs more,, i'll take the power ANYTIME over the light weight

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the actual,weight on the Fcat is an estimated 435 compared to 565 on my t-cat ,,, so more power means better

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Are you forgetting that you have an extra 300cc's on the Fcats? Of course in TOP END you are gonna waste them.

A lightweight twin isn't designed for top end speed like a triple.

Go take your T-cat VS F-cat on a mogul filled ditch, or on a sno X track, where the F-cats were designed.

Triple cylinder sleds, designed for the lake, high speed, just go.

Lightweight twin sleds, designed for the bumpy ditches or track.

Drag race means nothing. Sure you wasted them on a semi-smooth lake. Can you waste them on a sno X track or rough ditch. I have my doubts.

More power isn't better. You just prefer it over a nice lightweight machine you can throw around. Some prefer the machine they can throw around over a big heavy thing that can just go fast.

[red]Edited for those who wish to turn my every word against me.[/red]

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
THE ONLY THING that causes you to reach top speed (terminal velocity), is drag. It don't matter if your sled weighs 400lbs, or 1000lbs.

top speed is drag VS horsepower.

You didn't say how the first 660feet of the races went ;-)

That is where f=ma comes into play. Accelleration is purely a contest of power (that reaches the ground!!) to weight ratio.

-Dean

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Originally posted by acadian
[br] at 660 ft i was about 4 lenghts ahead of both of em , and only pulling away further and further
Here is the 660 results Dean, if it's true that is great. Your sled must be dialed in or there weren't.....good on you.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I take offense to "big boat triple".Sounds like bashing to me. My Xlt 580 is about the same as a ProX 600 and my Triumph is about 25lbs. heavier and neither of them has ugly handlebars that stick up 2' above the windshield.
TO EACH HIS OWN! You've said it before P-man

And to acadian. Smoke all the twins you can!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems to me Polaris man took something a little personal ,,
Of course those machines aren't designed for the same thing ,, i'd whoope em ALLLLLLLL day on the lakes ,, but i NEVER said i'd beat any of em on a snowX track ,, hell who knows , if they don't know how to drive a machine ,, i'd beat em with my blizzard,,,,,,,, i was just saying that even thoough i weighed over 100lbs more then them , i still whoped em,, and i'm sorry but the Fcats should at least be up there with me, not 4 lengths back.
Drags mean nothing ,, well i guess all those races during week-ends and you see on TV aren't nothing ,, you know some people have more thrill going down the lake at over 125mpg then going around a track jumping.
to each his own

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
well it finally happened. I have been on here many times saying that the lighter sleds cant loose me in the trails. I was riding with a guy of similar experience on the weekend. He has the 2002 800 twin with the edge. I got the 2000 XCR. No problem at all beating him in drag races and high speeds. No problem through the woods and on fairly rough trails but when it got really bumpy he left me with ease. He said it is the suspension more than anything. It really is way better. moral of the story for fellow big triples stay out of the really rough stuff with those new suspension guys. lol

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah you said it hotrod ,, it's all in the suspension ,,,,,makes a hell of a difference, but i still would of thaugh that those new fcats would be faster then they are,, i mean what are they running 145HP and only weigh around 430lbs , and i still took en both on take off,,

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
yep sounds like a bash to me to. i have no trouble when i ride with other people no matter how rough it gets, i take the two minutes to change the suspension if i have to to keep the ride nice. funny how the new sleds keep getting slower than what they are supposed to replace. look at the zr 900 and the rx-1, but thats how good the advertising and marketing is from these companys, give it a lot of hype and people will buy it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's true madcow , i mean i was sure that these new machines replacing them would be faster ,, but it doesn't seem to be the case , they are more concerned about the weight and ability for a machine to go around a track jumping up and down ,,,,,,lot's of low end torque , with no top speed,, i'll like it solid and fast , and like you said , , i havn't seen much twins do what Polaris-man says they'll do

·
Registered
699 Posts
i drag raced my 1989 yamaha exciter against 5 phazers and a inticer 340 and stomped them all it just feels good to beat people in a drag race but i would rather ride the trails if i ever get some snow around here again

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
same here ,, i get lots of fun out of the trails , but there's something about those triples and strugling to hold on to those handlebars through acceleration , just nothing like it man,,

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
With my tripple I wouldn't even attempt to go on a SnowX track, I would destroy the suspension, if I put a ZR suspension in it I would try it, but I would still loose to a Fire Cat, that's what they are made for, but in the trails, even if they are rough I can almost keep up to anybody I sled with, if not pass them, a lot of them have twins now two, but there are a few people that are a bit better riders that go by me. (or they are just driving stupid for the conditions)

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
my opinion is: i like to go get goin fast and once i get to 60-70mph its time to slow down again neway. hittin bumps and jumps is more fun than going on a flat surface at 100mph IMO...

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Ya, it gets boring going 100 MPH+ for a while, but tripples are still prety good for jumps if you set the suspension, but you wont catcha machine designed for that.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Originally posted by madcow
[br]funny how the new sleds keep getting slower than what they are supposed to replace. look at the zr 900 and the rx-1

What is so bad about the ZR 900 and the RX-1? And what exactly did they replace? As far as I knew they were not replacements, but new sleds altogether that didn't exist before (900 twin, and high performance 4-stroke.)

I know I love my big bore twin, and that it is PLENTY fast on any lake, but still gives me the flexibility to run sno-X style and not worry about killing myself or the sled. Coming from a big triple on my last sled, I only miss the smoothness that the triple provided.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
well, seems that people can't read any rules, nor do they listen to me. I worded that strongly just to see who actually listens and who actually doesn't listen. I have an announcement asking people to read the rules. I made a topic in the "news" forum telling you to read the rules.

the link is:

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/polarisman/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4418

or

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/snofan/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4418

Yet, everyone still tells me what is and what isn't bashing.

That was my own little test, and those who flamed me, failed it. I am not impressed one little bit that you guys don't read the announcements or do what we ask. You think I bashed? ALERT A MODERATOR AND LEAVE IT OUT OF THE TOPIC.

Will you read the rules? Obviously not.

I have no issues with triples, this seemed like a very good controversial topic to run my test on, and I'm not happy with the results.

Anyway, by the same note of you all saying I'm bashing, I guess I could take his comment about more power being better, and twist it all around and say that is bashing all small engines. More power isn't better. Maybe it is to you, maybe it isn't to him. I know lots of ppl who would ride an Indy Lite over an XCR 800. Is the XCR 800 better? Maybe to the guy who wants to go a million miles and hour and all he wants to do is talk about horsepower this and horsepower that. But to the guy who wants to just rip around and have fun, the XCR 800 is a hunk of garbage that isn't worth being on the snow.

Everyone has their opinion. More power (large cc triples) isn't BETTER. Maybe YOU like it more, which is fine. But stating it's better is a bash of all smaller engines. I only say this because you guys all seem to just want to pick out every word I say and throw it back in my face, so I'm going to be WAY harder on everyone now. To those who just accept everything as is, blame those above for me being picky from now on. I'm sick of people not paying attention to what I have to say, and I'm sick of people twisting everything I say trying to make me look like a jerk.

Taken from Site Policy
[br]Bashing other brands of snowmobiles is not acceptable along with personal attacks made to individuals
I'm sorry people, Another thing that is bugging me is you haven't even read the site policy. Things you are turning on me for isn't even included in the policy.

You think I bashed? FINE, OK, WHATEVER. But the Policy CLEARLY states that we don't stand for BRAND BASHING.

Did I say "Your Arctic Cat sucks, so you should buy a Polaris"

nope, sure didn't

Did I say anything about the brand? Certainly not. But you had to rip on me anyway.

Thanks do go out to those who have read and understand our rules. It is appreciated by all staff here at TUSF.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
You people just think about this. It seriously looks like you are trying to pick out every detail to make P-Man look like a jerk. In reality, he had made an opinion with facts to back it up and not a bash. Using the word "boat" just describes what those sleds are like. They are big and kinda ride like a boat with lots of power - they are meant for fast paced and straight riding, no big deal. The firecats on other hand are like jetski's - Quick and aggressive, made for quick turning and maneuverability.

I have nothing against any of you, but please try to not be as serious on this bashing stuff in the future, let us decided what is and what isn't. Of course you can pick out the obvious, but it you don't know, don't say. Contact a moderator or one of us. If you suspect either me or P-Man is bashing, PM the other and see what we can do.

Thank-You.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.