Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got my new seat/tank (1pc) and i am putting it on the sled that had the 2 piece seat & tank.. it fits fine, but i was wondering how it mounts in the front? the old tank had a spring that held it down but on the new tank there is no place for the spring to go around..and the bracket that holds it on top that also holds the steering column, seems like it is too short (i only get about 1/8" of it onto the indent in the tank where it goes).. is the bracket longer on the 1 piece setup vs. the 2 piece?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
You should have snaps on the one piece cover in the front. One on each side. You might have to go to the local sewing shop and get some snap mating halfs and rivet them to your tunnel. I put a one piece seat and tank on a 1993 XLT and had to hacksaw off one of the bottle mounts (oil or coolant) and reweld it to the steering hoop. It hit and would not let the seat slide forward enough.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by bulldog_shotgun
[br]there should be a cable through the front of the seat. it holds the front of the tank down.
there is.. but what does it hook to on the ends? the snaps? the snap on the left side lines up perfect but the one on the right side is about 1-2" forward..

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
On my ultra its got a snap on each side then a little tab that sticks out in the middle of the steering loop. I ran into the same issue with the tab as dodger did when putting a 1 piece on a 91 Indy 500. It was a really simple thing to modify.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
bull dog....the cable holds the seat cover to the tank only....keeps it tight

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Ill bet your hitting a bottle or mount on the right side

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
cut the lugs or lug off with a hack saw and reweld them....Un hook your electrics, cdi ,stator, ect before welding to be safe. Not that big of a deal but be carefull.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by dodger
[br]You should have snaps on the one piece cover in the front. One on each side. You might have to go to the local sewing shop and get some snap mating halfs and rivet them to your tunnel. I put a one piece seat and tank on a 1993 XLT and had to hacksaw off one of the bottle mounts (oil or coolant) and reweld it to the steering hoop. It hit and would not let the seat slide forward enough.

where on the hoop did you weld the bottle mount bracket?

·
Registered
985 Posts
[br]bull dog....the cable holds the seat cover to the tank only....keeps it tight
i understand that but if he is using a tank off a sled like the 96 RXL there is no front tank mount. that cable does keep the seat in place.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
A steering loop off a newer indy 500 might work, not completely sure. Otherwise pay someone to weld it....that'd be the cheapest and easiest route to go.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i can get a welder and do it myself but was just wondering where on the steering loop he welded the bracket..that's all..

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
You will have to cut off the lugs or lug
-place the new seat on the sled and slide it forward till you can snap the snaps
-mount the bottles or bottle to the lug(s) and fit it to the steering hoop
-mark the location with soapstone
-cover the seat or remove, and cover other items as well and for Gods sake clean up the oil and gas
-Hook the ground of the welder to the HOOP
-tack weld, cool it ,and fit the tank and replace the seat
-if everything is o.k. then weld it up and spray black when done....good to go

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
[br]
[br]bull dog....the cable holds the seat cover to the tank only....keeps it tight
i understand that but if he is using a tank off a sled like the 96 RXL there is no front tank mount. that cable does keep the seat in place.
Partsland shows the snaps that hold your seat in place in the front....along with the steering hoop its going nowhere.

http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N=1165956052-4434&P=SM-1996-RXL-SEAT-AND-GAS-TANK

·
Registered
985 Posts
did you happen to see what the cable is called?
Cable, Tank, Retention. polaris must have thought it held the tank too.

I agree he should remount the tank tab if needed. fasten the snaps, but i would make sure i hooked that cable up with a couple of exhaust springs.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[br] I agree he should remount the tank tab if needed. fasten the snaps, but i would make sure i hooked that cable up with a couple of exhaust springs.
no where to hook them to on my wedgie...

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
They call it that on all prints...I show 1995 and older do show a spring...You are putting this seat on a old 2 piece seat/tank chassis so yes, you might want to go through the hassle(those old long ones were a pain in the a$$...I didn't on my XLT and put 5000 miles on it...and they were far from easy. If you can't feel it chuck back and forth and to and fro when done, I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts