Snowmobile Fanatics banner

2 Questions

714 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  MadMatt900 
#1 ·
Question #1: Does it really matter if you over fill the chaincase oil a bit over the full line??

Question #2: is there a way to remove the hifax without taking the rear suspension out? or is it easier taking the whole thing out and doing it like that?? Thanks!

#2 ·
1. Yes it matters but not if you only fill it like 1/2 ounce over. You could use a turkey baster to suck some out.

2. Ive always removed my hyfax out thru a track window. If it wont fit but is close then you can carefully widen one window on each side. Squirt a bit of dish liquid or a film of oil to help with sliding them on.

#3 ·
yeah, if you're only a little over on chaincase oil, it's no big deal.

if you have the skid out for some reason, it's much easier to change the hifax. but taking the skid out just for that can be a pain. you can go through a window of the track like MonsterJay said. make sure you take out the front screw first! lol.

#4 ·
ok thanks thats just what i needed to know. So for the chaincase oil as long as i don't go over the full line it's should be fine right? cuz i recently changed the oil and added to much and now it's mabye about and inch over the full line on the dipstick.lol

#5 ·
i think the worst thing that will happen is you might have it splashing out of a vent hole and making a mess.

#6 ·
Just suck it out with a turkey baster. Or if you don't have one of those handy, use a piece of hose that will fit in the hole and put your thumb over the top until you get it down to the correct level. Or clean up the mess after your first ride. Nothing bad will happen to the chain or gears, although there will be more drag which will decrease efeciency in the whole system. On a side note, a buddy of mine had a seal go (more like a leak than a rupture)on his chain case last year and sprayed oil all over his brake and footwell. Wasn't a problem until he had to stand up or stop.lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.