Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my head it seems easy enough, but had to ask. Im hunting down a dual stage throttle to put on the ho since its pretty damn stiff. A 2 hour ride on my 4 wheeler and my thumb/hand was cramped up pretty bad by the end. Dunno why but my hands tend to cramp easy.

So, I know already im gonna be dieing come time to ride long trips.

Should be pretty easy to get a 2 stage on right? Love the one on my uncles 670 and being the same handlebars dont see why not. Just simple mechanics on the throttle design.

With that, did find one for a 00-01. Would that fit fine?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I actually thought of doing that on my 2000 but never followed through. I think my thumb muscles just got stronger along with the other muscles I don't use 9 months a year.
The theory is there for the installation. I thought I heard that it doesn't allow the throttle to open 100% though.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I used to have a 670 HO.... what i did, was chop off about 2" of the spring in the carb. That made it pull much easier. Also, get a tennis ball and squeeze it with your thumb while you're sitting around watching TV.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
A friends formula 3 has a real stiff throttle too. 2kms and your thumb is dead. Seems like a lefty throttle would work pretty good. At least itll give your right thumb a break.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw in a magazine some twist throttles for sleds. But dunno if I'd like the idea much. Seems with all the bumping on the trails your bound to twist on that thing. Great for motorcycles but they dont have washboard trails to ride :p

Kinda thought about the left throttle. I'll check into it. Seemed easier and more stock to have a 2 stage throttle.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Cut the coils in the carbs...that is what I did to make the pull much easier on my 670. I took about 4 to 5 coils out and it seems to be good. Just make sure not to remove too many or you could run the risk of not having enough pressure in the coils to have the carb slides return to their idle position...this could cause a carb to stick open.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Sorry I miss read your post, I thought you were looking for a two stage for your quad.
A twist grip would not work great on a sled IMO
A buddy had something called a trail tammer?? I need to find out what it is called exactly.

It is still the right hand throttle, you keep the stock one, and an other leaver is added to the front of the bar and you run it like a front brake on a bike, he loves it for the trails.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Know what your talking about. Its on both of my moms and step dads sleds. Never got a good chance to use them cuz its either wide open straights or twisties you have to attend to. No good time to use it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts