Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started with a 79 JD 440 Trailfire, had an 88 Indy 650, still have a 90 650 SKS, and a 94 800 Storm. I am seriously wanting to upgrade. I like the Body styles of my Indys and the Storm. I don't know what is out there to at least somewhat meet what I'm looking for. I ride ditches, fields, trails, and occasionally a frozen river here. I'm thinking fuel injection is a step in the right direction, but questioning the 2 vs 4 stroke. My understanding (which could be wrong) is more power and fuel economy. Can anyone clue me in to what I might want to look at for sleds along those lines? I'm thinking something in the mid 2000s. I have gotten the urge to join a club to ride with others instead of riding alone like I usually do, so I would like to not at least look so outdated while riding. As far as 2 vs 4, how do they compare weight, power, and economics? Any help would be appreciated. For what it's worth, I also like the look of the 03 F7s. As far as power, I would prefer to NOT be less than my Storm (I believe it's rated at 140 HP)

·
Registered
244 Posts
i have a fst and love it, i just have to flash the ecu to have 176 hp, and it has loads of torque. Not too heavy, it will be about 30-40 pounds more than your storm though.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Although I can only give you a opinion on the Arctic Cat side of things since thats all I have ever had. I love my Z1 Turbo I put some money in it and did some up grades from the guys at Speedwerx but they say I have more power than I will ever need some crazy power I love my 4 stroke sled.....

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the ski doo and polaris 600 class 2 strokes can get good milage.

you are used to old sleds where the ride limited speed, a new 600 class machine will go as fast as you need.

you have to go to the manufacturers websites and find a couple sleds from each maker that you might like, then compare them sleds to see what one fits your bill.

personally the ski doo tnt 600 etech seems like a great buy, 600 class power, good shock package and good track for a low price compared to other sleds.
the polaris shift seems to be a good value as well.

for the 4 stroke class i would have to compare all 4 of them, the polaris is going to ride nice, i have a hard time personally owning a cat but the z1 seems to be a capable sled, hard to knock the yami, and there isnt much out there on the ski doo yet.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Not all 4 strokes got less horsepower yes I did some work to mine but it's got 290hp and yes I said 290hp so for the Idea they have less horsepower I will have to differ..........

·
Registered
134 Posts
kennybtrail1 said:
Not all 4 strokes got less horsepower yes I did some work to mine but it's got 290hp and yes I said 290hp so for the Idea they have less horsepower I will have to differ..........
ok well we did somework on a 2010 m8 and with the nos and the turbo and a few other mods it had 460 horses at the crank. i mean it is turning a 211 inch track so it isnt putting that much down but still.

sorry i talked to my old man the yami has the 211. with a 1200 4 stroke not the a/c thus im worn

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
kennybtrail1 said:
You can mod a 2 stroke to make over 290 hp. That means nothing. A stock 800 2-stroke will have more hp then a stock 800 4-stroke. As goes for 600's, 1000's, etc.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
kevin.leblanc said:
kennybtrail1 said:
ok well we did somework on a 2010 m8 and with the nos and the turbo and a few other mods it had 460 horses at the crank. i mean it is turning a 211 inch track so it isnt putting that much down but still.

sorry i talked to my old man the yami has the 211. with a 1200 4 stroke not the a/c thus im worn

would love to see a pic of a 211" track, 460 hp out of a turbo, nos and "few other mods" thats one heck of an engine, would love to see it run a 10 second dyno pull making that power.

any one can be made to make more power than the other, he just needs to do research and find a model that he likes.

if i did a ton of off trail riding i would go 600 cc two stroke sled, if i did a lot of trail cruising then i might go 4 stroke, if i did a 50/50 mix, i still might lean 4 stroke.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thats what I like about my setup is I can change with the 4 setting remaping on my ecu if I want the horsepower or if I want to trail ride I can just set the ecu were I want it and If I can't get the 110 gas I can still get the horsepower if use the methenol injection...

·
Registered
134 Posts
madcow said:
kevin.leblanc said:
kennybtrail1 said:

would love to see a pic of a 211" track, 460 hp out of a turbo, nos and "few other mods" thats one heck of an engine, would love to see it run a 10 second dyno pull making that power.

any one can be made to make more power than the other, he just needs to do research and find a model that he likes.

if i did a ton of off trail riding i would go 600 cc two stroke sled, if i did a lot of trail cruising then i might go 4 stroke, if i did a 50/50 mix, i still might lean 4 stroke.
i tried to put the one up that i got but it dosent work i dunno why. i have always had trouble putting pics up here. if some one can tell me how to do it right i got lots of custom sled pics my uncle builds hill climbers for a living

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
kevin.leblanc said:
madcow said:
kevin.leblanc said:
kennybtrail1 said:

i tried to put the one up that i got but it dosent work i dunno why. i have always had trouble putting pics up here. if some one can tell me how to do it right i got lots of custom sled pics my uncle builds hill climbers for a living
How to post pics
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/faq.aspx

Biggest track I know of is a 174", I would love to see a 211". If you still cant get pics to work email them to [email protected] and I will gladly post it up for you. I will have to see that to believe it [8D]

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the hp arguements can go on for days as to what motor is better, but if you are talking out of the factory, i wouldnt mind having a sled to simply put gas in it and go, in the off season or once during the season changing oil isnt the worst thing in the world. i still of an fst once in a while. but when you can get a 600 shift, ride it softly and get close to the mpg but at several thousand cheaper that is a lot of gas and oil i can buy.

·
Registered
268 Posts
That is for sure a arguement on horsepower could go on forever and there is always someone out there that has more than you. And if you got the know how and the money you can make anything go fast........

·
Registered
134 Posts
RMK-KING said:
kevin.leblanc said:
madcow said:
kevin.leblanc said:
kennybtrail1 said:

How to post pics
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/faq.aspx

Biggest track I know of is a 174", I would love to see a 211". If you still cant get pics to work email them to [email protected] and I will gladly post it up for you. I will have to see that to believe it [8D]
cool i will email some to you from work tommorow

·
Registered
201 Posts
Iowa, I would suggest waiting for snow and trying a few before purchasing. Your Storm has a nice top end pull, but ANY new chassis will be light years ahead of it, especially in the ditches. All of my riding for the last two years has been on an Apex RTX- it has awesome torque and response but is seriously heavy in the ditches. Some guys say they are just as fast on an Apex in the ditches, but I like to cut up drifts and goof around- it's definitely a workout and you are seriously limited with sidehills and downhill cuts.

If you ride down there mostly with shallower snow, you'll notice the 4-stroke weight no question. Try riding one and cutting up into a hill or tall drift- if you don't have deep, soft snow to cut the uphill ski into, it isn't just not ideal, it actually sucks. You'll be tired out after a few miles and you have to pick longer and less aggressive lines through the rough, especially on off cambers and hills.

Trails are a different story, as long as they're not too rough. I can't imagine too much better of a machine for trails- the gas and go aspect of a 4 stroke is hard to beat there. You'll virtually never have to do anything to it. 2's have come a long way recently, so you'll still be way ahead of your Storm though. You might be surprised at what a new 600 class sled feels like compared to your Storm- if you're not using all the top end you may be better off with a new 600 or 800 2 stroke.

Knowing what I know now, would I buy the Apex for MN low-average-snow ditch riding? Hell no. But that doesn't mean it's not for you or your riding.

·
Registered
314 Posts
2 stroke is king i will never own a 4 stroke not only are they less power but they sound like shit

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
95-xlt-600-special said:
2 stroke is king i will never own a 4 stroke not only are they less power but they sound like shit
Well power per displacement they are less power stock. Modded a 4 stroke will kill a 2 stroke, a Apex ran 143mph in 3.7seconds at haydays this year claiming a new word record on a 500ft track.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
RMK-KING said:
95-xlt-600-special said:
Well power per displacement they are less power stock. Modded a 4 stroke will kill a 2 stroke, a Apex ran 143mph in 3.7seconds at haydays this year claiming a new word record on a 500ft track.
Buuuut, I bet if I had $1,000,000 I could make a 2-stroke go way faster then that.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
wakeboarderboy said:
Buuuut, I bet if I had $1,000,000 I could make a 2-stroke go way faster then that.
Way faster on grass then 143mph in 3.7sec in the outlaw power adder class huh?

Edit: Nevermind I just looked at your age,im sure you could make one WAY faster.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts