Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need some advice or expierence. I am from Minnesota and run a 03' Pro-x 800. I ride mostly in the Red River Valley @ North Dakota and Minnesota border. My current track is 1 1/4" preditor with 96 1.42" studs. I do how ever venture to the Rockies once or twice a year usually to Yellowstone. My buddy this year put a 2" x 121" challenger in his 1999 MXZ high-output and was high marking us big time. I know I have a flat lander sled but reeally like the results he had with his. TO get it in though he had to press smaller drivers on his drive shaft. MY question is would I have to go to smaller drivers? and if I did could I use the 03' vertical escape clutching and gearing for my set-up? I know its a shorter track but,same lug hieght, same drivers, same gearing, same clutching? Does it make sense or not?
Please help me out boys.
Pro800

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
It makes sence, but i don't think that is the best way to go. IMO, i think the VE (Vertical Escape) clutching and gearing would be too big of a jump from your pro-x 800 setup. The much much longer track on VE justifies it's steap gearing and it's clutching further matches that setup. I think the only way to get a 2" track on your 800 is to either install a rolled chaincase, or use smaller drivers like you mentioned, or both. I'm not certain. I think the smaller drivers are a good idea, because it will also act as a gear reduction for your deeper track. I would also gear down a couple teeth in your gearing, but not too far that you significantly lower your top speed. Clutching can be tough. I would just clutch it on my own, but i would not use the VE setup as it would be overkill. Try to match it half-way between your stock clutching and an RMK model. That would be a good overall performance. Generally, when flatland sleds go to the Mts. i would go lighter on the weights, and put in lighter springs, mostly because there is less oxygen at elevation so you will produce less power. A helix change will help match your riding style of the steep and deep, but there will always be a compromise between Mt. riding and flatland clutching. These are just guidelines to help you out. Good luck!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I recently noticed that polaris offers a 136" rail kit made specifically for Pro X machines.The kit comes with a tunnel extension and everything you need but the track to make a 136" Pro X.I'm seriously considering getting one of these kits for my Pro X 600.I think it would be way better than an SKS on hardpack trails and go a little better in the fluff.I think the kit costs on the neighborhood of $350. american. Check their website.A Pro X with a 1-1/4" lug 136" track would be the cats ass in my opinoin.But thats just me.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Not one that know about the big lug tracks. Try asking the same question snowest.com . Lotta mountian guys live there, and have done this I'm sure.

·
Registered
328 Posts
You don't need to be worried about lugs breaking off on hard pack unless your riding cement or something like that. A lot of guys around here that jump alot have the MXZ REVs with a 121x2 and haven't ever broken a lug yet. The only time they break is when the track is run on dirt or cement for really really long periods of time. One of our old sleds runs a 136x2 and has over 7,000km/s on it and none of the lugs have broken off yet. You would have to change you drivers. You wouldn't want to run the same gearing, clutching as a VE. The VE's are geared for a 156-159. you'd lose a LOT of top end and it would be REALLY REALLY snappy off the line since the motor wouldn't have to turn as much track. You could almost get away with leaving the gearing as it is. The gearing and clutching is figured out by the amount of track on the ground, not by the size of the lugs. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I like the option that steve pointed out above a 136 still handles great on the trails and lakes and you could stick with the 1.25 or 1.375 lug height which would leave the rest of your set up working fine. Not as much test and tune time required to make it work for ya and you wouldn't loose top end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts