Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 700 xc deluxe.. I was just wondering what the differance would be if I took the polaris red primary spring off (p-85) and put a stock polaris (what it calls for) almond spring on?, what would it do to it's performance? [?] [?] [?] [8)]

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Polaris Red is a 145/300 spring, Almond is 165/280. So the clutch would engage later (higher rpm) and be at full shiftout sooner (lower rpm).

You would be higher up the torque curve at engagement and would achieve full shiftout sooner but at a lower rpm. Without knowing what your present setup peaks at you might fall off the peak and loose some top end. It's going to wind up a little higher before it engages.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did that exact same thing to my 2000 xc700 Aniversary Edition late in the season last year. Performance improved considerably, bottom end, midrange, and a noticeable improvement in the 70 mph - 100 mph range. The red spring seemed fine when the snow was hardpacked with cold temperatures. When the weather was warmer (heavier going)the red spring would not allow the engine to run much over 7500-7600 rpm. The almond spring brought the rpm back up to 8000. I am expecting to see a drop in my fuel range. The red spring was originaly installed in an attempt to improve fuel range. Some of the runs we make have 100 mile stretches between gas stops. I plan to re-install the red spring as req'd. One other thing, my clutch has 4,000 miles on it. Perhaps a new clutch, or a clutch rebuild would allow the red spring to work better.

·
Registered
777 Posts
that probably a erl red 145-300. Pol red 120-240
going to a alm 150-320 will give you same engagement, but a higher peak[shiftout] rpm.
the pol red won,t work in there.
this is a v.good set up: alm/gold 150-280
10-62 ,s
r-12 50-36 helix
sil/blue sec
and jet down, there far to rich stock.
and r1371g needles,Thats a dealer update to adress the poor milage on the 00 700

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I will be trying out the stock new almond, since I have a brand new p-85 I just got the shock 10-60 weights also... so it is a complete stock new clutch, just has electric start now...

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
XC Special is right about the jetting. You can jet down at least 2 sizes IMO. I jetted down 2 sizes and dropped the needle one ring on my 600. Increased gas mileage and throttle response went up too. Now I have a Tempaflow (jetted back up one size, and put needle back to 3rd ring) unit and that's evened the field as far as performance in all temperatures. Roughly 11 mpg.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how hard is it to change the jets, this sled when I bought it used , the previous owner said it had all canadian miles, he put in larger jets he wrote in the manual pto=185 180 mag 190 185 What I see Stock should be on this Supplement should be PTO= 190 and MAg 195?? What ever that all means,, I know nothing about it ad have no Idea where to start/?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by Mike Uhlman
[br]I am expecting to see a drop in my fuel range. The red spring was originaly installed in an attempt to improve fuel range. Some of the runs we make have 100 mile stretches between gas stops.
Hey Mike,
Sounds like you need a tour buddy.
http://www.tourbuddy.com/
That or a 500 XC that goes 100 miles per tank and then some...[:D]
Great info for Skybolt too, nice!

·
Registered
777 Posts
just to add,with above mentioned,and a tempa flow,190-185 avg 12 and as high as 14 mpg,

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I think I will go with what Xc Special said.. I am going to make YET another trio to the dealer and get the set up for both clutches.. DAMN I should have done this all like 2 months ago. it is getting COLD out side here in Hyde Park NY, Right now it is 29 degrees.. SNOW will be coming soon! where can I get those Tempa flow.. and which is what. PTO MAG 190 - 185?

·
Registered
777 Posts
190 m-185 p any sled shop should be able to get a tempa flow.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
PTO is the cylinder on the side that the clutch is on. (Power take off).. Mag side is the other side, because thats the side the magneto is on. Those numbers in the owners manual are probably the jet sizes he put in, but you knew that.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by Xc Special
[br]190 m-185 p any sled shop should be able to get a tempa flow.
XC Special did you mean 180 m ?

Holtzmann Tempaflow for $150 @ http://www.richmotorsports.com/holtzman.htm

it is a thingamajiggy that inserts in your airbox and is connected to your carbs. it regulates bowl pressure to regulate fuel flow for diferent temperature changes. it makes you carbs think they are jetted the same for a temperature range of -20F to +40F. So you don't need to rejet from the dead of winter or the warmth (yuch) of spring

1 - 14 of 14 Posts