Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My electrical system "shuts down" on and off while riding. Odd part is I'll have a very dim headlight and good ignition - all other lights out, hand warmer, dash. When it's on, it's on full. Only thing I can think of is short but can't find. Is there a good electrical diagram out there. Anybody have an idea on the problem?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’d say bad ground, I’d start by checking over any grounding locations/Connections
That was my thought also - loose ground. I just pulled one of the plugs and the screw on cap was stripped and just "slipped" over the threads. I'm guessing - haven't tried to fire up yet - that the loose connection was good enough to generate a spark for the engine - engine ran fine with no misses - but wiggled enough to only give me enough power for the lights or other electrical connections on and off?? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1997 XC 700
1,852 Posts
There’s really not much to them luckily. Get yourself some spray electric cleaner, start running down all the plugs and connections, look for wear points in the harness that could be grounding out. Pull whatever grounds you can find clean and sand them. I’m sure you can find a wiring diagram online. Try babbits Maybe? Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There’s really not much to them luckily. Get yourself some spray electric cleaner, start running down all the plugs and connections, look for wear points in the harness that could be grounding out. Pull whatever grounds you can find clean and sand them. I’m sure you can find a wiring diagram online. Try babbits Maybe? Good luck.
Thanks - you're right, just tried with new plugs - no difference. Ran engine in dark looking for short spark - couldn't see one. Can't see any "burn" marks anywhere. Can't find where machine is grounded either. There is no battery with this machine. Can't find the rotor either.

·
Registered
1997 XC 700
1,852 Posts
The magneto that makes the power is on the flywheel behind the pull starter case. Don’t think you’ll find a problem there seeing how it runs good. I believe you’ll find the voltage regulator on the right hand side by the key on that sled. But usually if that’s bad you’ll get a over voltage not a “brown out” the harness should be if I remember correctly grounded on the motor and the arch for the steering column. I have the same machine I’ll try to take a look tomorrow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The magneto that makes the power is on the flywheel behind the pull starter case. Don’t think you’ll find a problem there seeing how it runs good. I believe you’ll find the voltage regulator on the right hand side by the key on that sled. But usually if that’s bad you’ll get a over voltage not a “brown out” the harness should be if I remember correctly grounded on the motor and the arch for the steering column. I have the same machine I’ll try to take a look tomorrow.
I haven't seen any ground wires going to the motor - unless it's underneath and not visible from the top. I can't see any wires to ground anywhere. When I'm riding, the lights - and I can tell all the aux power - just go out ( except, I have a very dim light - very dim ) It will stay out for seconds, minutes and then flick back on to full aux. But that might only last for seconds - it's not on and off like I've got a worn wire shorting out - I can be sitting still and it will do the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
found the ground wire(s) - they are brown. Checked all I could get too and they all grounded correctly - but, at this time, the machine lights and aux is working so the grounds would work - have to try again once the lights go out again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My electrical system "shuts down" on and off while riding. Odd part is I'll have a very dim headlight and good ignition - all other lights out, hand warmer, dash. When it's on, it's on full. Only thing I can think of is short but can't find. Is there a good electrical diagram out there. Anybody have an idea on the problem?
check staples under seat, they make contact w/ wires and short system out. To check, just disconnect seat wire and see if it works. Many times wires would short out on pipe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
check staples under seat, they make contact w/ wires and short system out. To check, just disconnect seat wire and see if it works. Many times wires would short out on pipe.
Sounds like a possible - if I can find where to disconnect my "seat" wire - you mean wires running under my seat? I ran today - had all power, after riding awhile, lost all power - after riding awhile longer, got all power back!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.