Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,
I have owned this sled for about 10 years now.

The previous owner, old sled head friend, I bought it from thought it needed carb cleaned and rebuilt or the pump replaced as he was having a hard time starting it.

I did a couple small trips with it and it was a major PIA to start on those trips but never an idle or bog issue....last few years due to weather in our area and buying a new home have not been on it much.

A couple weeks back after getting the sled out a few days I decided to pick up the carb rebuild kits (3). I have not rebuilt the carbs as of yet. I have recently replaced the pump (new rebuild kit) and tank line/filter.

During my reading of a few posts and Factory Service Manual I ran across plunger adjustment. So I got a can of Deep Creep spray the bolts down and let it set. I readjusted so I have between a 1/8 and 1/4 play as manuals/post suggest and low and behold the sled is starting in 2-3 pulls every time (its is 40 out today - but its been outside all night -down in the 30s).

So one thing I have noticed, which may be due to the condition of the sled when I got it, is when the choke is engaged (after initial kick) it will not stay running unless the choke is disengaged. Likewise, if its running (warmed up) and I engaged choke it dies. If I disengage it usually takes a pull or two to start back up.

So I am not sure if this is normal behavior or not...but I am happy with the starting now.

Is this normal or do I have the plunger set to tight?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
66 Posts
Usually on my carbed machines, once it hits then I flip the choke completely off and then it's usually only one or two pulls and it's running. If I then flip choke on it will die. So in short it sounds as if you've got them adjusted correctly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts