Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to the Yamaha scene. Always been a Polaris guy but got a good deal on a 00 sxr 500 my problem Is this. The sled will turn 8000 rpm spinning on ice. It is very spunky down low. It seems about 1/3 throttle it has the most power and then after that it continues to climb in toms but it's just gutless. I messed around with the secondary spring holes and there was little difference between hole o thru 9 which makes little sense. Any help would be great
[thumb]

·
Registered
368 Posts
you should be hitting closer to 8500. the twins were hard on rollers and weight bushings so check the components in the primary. baseline on the secondary should be 80*(2-6) with a red spring and a 47* helix. if the primary components are all clean and good, sounds like maybe you dont have enough twist on the secondary and its shifting to quickly or your not assembling correctly. what belt are you using?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
snowdad4 said:
you should be hitting closer to 8500. the twins were hard on rollers and weight bushings so check the components in the primary. baseline on the secondary should be 80*(2-6) with a red spring and a 47* helix. if the primary components are all clean and good, sounds like maybe you dont have enough twist on the secondary and its shifting to quickly or your not assembling correctly. what belt are you using?
My rollers are slightly worn on my primary and I have the stock Yamaha belt on it. My primary spring is like black with a purple and white paint mark on the spring

·
Registered
368 Posts
probably a white/pink/white spring. if the rollers are slightly worn, as you put it, what else is worn in the clutch and how clean is it? i would dive into there first. no special tools required if you opt to disect it while its on the sled. alot more convenient if you have a puller. by stock belt is it the 8CJ? based on your description i think the problem lies in the clutches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts