Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I came across a thundercat, it's in great shape it's a 2000 Thundercat, with 1500 miles and I paid $2500. It needs a new seat so I will be lookig for one of those until I find one but I want to know if I got a good deal or was I taken for this old thing?

·
Registered
135 Posts
$2500 was a bit too much for it. Here is a list of items to check on it: The drive bearing by where the speedometer is located needs to be made grease-able. The bearing on it now has seals on it and they go out on Cats all the time. Your motor bottom end only has 1 oil inlet. The older triples had an oil inlet on each cylinder carb boot and oiled the engine better. Also, your eletrical is a time bomb waiting to go bad...the easiest thing is to at least know where and how to unplug the TSS/kill switch connector for when your TSS or kill switch goes bad..because they will. See my video on youtube..it is very easy to find that specific plug and unplug it. It should take you about 10 seconds to find the plug and unplug it. CHeck all of your shocks and bearings on the suspension. We all add and additional heat exchanger to the rear of all of our sleds. Put a water temp gauge on it and you'll be suprised at how hot it runs sometimes. Our sleds never go over 130 degrees but most stock sleds get very hot..150-170 degrees quite regularly. Also, get a good tracck on it. The old triples have low lug tracks on them and spin way too much off the line. Other than those few items just run good oil in it, change out the chain case oil (and check the chain tension) and make sure it is clutched good and it should last quite a long time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts