Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Polaris Trail Indy 550, 1980 SkiDoo Everest 500
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer picked up this sled, started 2nd pull, drove off sellers trailer onto some pallets had out in yard to await the snow.
Snow arrives, just enough to run around yard on, had to drain fuel out of both carbs to get it to fire up, but she runs, drive around yard for 30 minutes no issues.
Today she would only start with a prime of gas, started up, ran through choke positions until warmed up, let off throttle and would not start again.
This model has electric start and reverse, front and rear hand warmers, just the tach missing from any package it could have offered.
If fired a few time tossing little gas into airbox, know not perfect way to prime but at least knew it would fire a few times, no start though.
It had about 1 gallon old gas in it from summer, which it did run on, and I topped it off with non-ethanol premium after yesterdays run.
I did notice the lights were on then went off, so have to troubleshoot some connections, they had different Sport hood on it, pink sparkly, and I put the stock hood back on which was included.
The choke appears to work, it was a new upper cable to pull as old one was broke off and he used pliers which was nothing I would do.. I run it full, flipped over, then drop down as it warms up, but it would not idle. I will end up pulling both carbs off and soaking in my mix of 50-50 pinesol to water and go through all passages, but do you think 1 gallon of older gas was enough to mess this up and I am drawing water from tank? With price of fuel that 12 gallons I tossed in at nearly 5 a gallon would hate to waste... My 80 Skidoo will start on 2 year old mixed gas without issue, is this Polaris that picky? I have done no other testing, no compression tests, etc, it had ran fine when pulled from trailer, yesterday after draining carbs, just today, with fresh gas, issues.. This needing to prime to fire up concerns me, choke circuit appears to work after it fires up, guess will see after I get carbs cleaned if still issues or not, it ran so good yesterday, thought just some electrical to deal with for lighting and ready to rock n roll..
Anything come to mind with this needing to prime or ?? Fuel pump works, checked that this summer, bowls do fill up when drained..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I drain the gas from carbs, add 1 can of gas line anti-freeze, pull plugs, prime, she starts up.. I ride around for 15 minutes, she pulls great, let it come down to idle, she dies, then will not start again, choked or not.. even though can tell choke does work, it had to be on when cold and dropped in stages as she warmed up as with my other rides , just when it drops into idle circuit is when have issues. guess will pull carbs off, thought had it licked with the iso or whatever was in this 1980s treatment in my dad's old collection.. think was a sears brand... runs great until hit idle.. letting it sit for a while.. wasn't dressed for riding and not enough snow for my gravel covered driveway.. could feel her dig in a few times... Hope not some reed valve issue, too stiff??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hour later it started with choke, but ordered an All Balls carb kit for my model, verified they listed correct jet sizes and will go from there.. Idle was pretty low so may have been normal, but should have fired back up with little throttle... back after kit installed, or if replies, 10 days on kit...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today she started up again, will tear down carbs when needed, now in search for wiring diagram as noticed headlight only has 2 wires, that seems off, it did not work,
only sides were wired and when connected to battery the light did not light up, only when center and a side would it work, unless only 1 setting and bulb was shot.. 1 side was out..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts