Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's it going guys, I'm Kevin, I'm from Alaska and currently ride a 2000 Polaris xc500 sp (45th anniversary edition). This isn't an introduction post, I have been on this sight for a year or two now, I just couldn't figure out a good way to start it off 馃槄

The intent of this discussion is to create a spot to accumulate as much information on the xc 500 sp as possible. Weather it's by the book or something janky you threw together after a six pack and a 5th of jack, it belongs here. It will also creat a place for me to ask whatever I (or anyone else) need to ask without having to make a new post every time I'm going to be doing as much work on my sled as I can this summer, so I'm not working on it after every other ride like this winter. .

I want information to be detailed and easy to find without having to scroll for 6 hours, but a sense of humor and on/off topic discussions are more then welcome, I bs more the I probably should anyway.

Anyway thank you for reading that novel I just typed up, I think it's a cool idea hopefully this thread picks up.

Anyway I'm sitting here at midnight wanting to go on a quick ride on the lake but once again I'm held back by my light being pretty dim and intermittently getting bright then dimming. I wired in a toggle switch, I'm pretty sure I don't have a short anywhere, and I could be wrong but I don't think its my regulator. What I think I narrowed it down to is the small three pin plugs or harnesses. They just seem wore out and moving them around will result in the light going bright or dim. There are only a few more days left to go riding so I'm looking for a quick fix. Would it be a problem to remove the plugs and just connect the wires with butt connectors or those quick connect plugs. It almost seems dumb to ask, I don't see any problem doing that, but then again I'm not a mechanic or electrician, and I got until tomorrow night to wait for a response.

Thanks for reading guys, I know I'm long winded and sound like a dork. Have a good one guys 馃

Registered
The dim/bright symptoms scream "I need a new regulator". Is it original? If so it's aged st this point and they aren't exactly like wine....getting finer with age. Also, if UT has been changed and is an aftermarket piece....they are known to have issues as well. OEM for the win.

I suppose you could just change the wiring first if you feel that may be worth a shot. Obviously a bad connection can cause your issue as well.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It most definitely could use a new regulator, I figured that was the issue for a while until I unplugged the black connector, between the box that the spark plug wires connect too (cannot think of what it's called rn) and I think the voltage regulator but I haven't had much time to look into it due to fixing damn near everything else. Anyway connectors were dirty cleaned them up lights worked pretty consistently until they started acting up again. I mess with the same harness and it will very briefly brighten up sometimes but now the harness looked pretty haggard, like it melted just enough to deform it awkwardly. I just want to cut out the harness and use wire connectors to put them back together. I'm not sure if that will be a problem or not, there is nothing special about the connectors right? I know it seem pointless or a waste of time to do that, and it'll probably just end up needing the regulator replaced but there is only a few more days of riding around here and ain't trying to spend anymore time and money on something Im not going to use till next winter. She's gonna be needing a lot of work this summer, rebuild on the top end, carbs, and shocks. New track, belt, slides, the metal on the skies (can't think of what those are called). I want to re-gear it for more top end. Thanks for the input man, I appreciate it馃榿

Registered
Go easy. I love the old iron and I commend you for keeping it alive and strong but there comes a point when it just doesn't make sense on some things. New clutch springs, making sure all rollers and bushings are good, a new belt, new skags on the skis and run that thing. How many miles? How do you know it needs a rebuild?

Fix the wiring. Check grounds and apply some dielectric grease to the connections. After that replace the old regulator with new oem.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts