Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background...

I have a 2000 xc500sp that I have had since new and rode it in stock form for the better part of its life. In recent history I have started to throw some money at this thing, bar risers, pro-x seat, 7.5" wide camoplast ski's, 2" Challenger track, mbrp can, gears, clutching etc.

I ended up taking it to Cooke City last year and did well as they had poor snow conditions (down about 5 feet of snow from the first year I went), I was able to get everywhere my group was but I was seriously lacking power for any sort of real climbing. I still had a ton of fun though.

At the end of the season, I noticed that my motor was starting to lose power....compression was down so it was time for a rebuild. I came across a used but freshly rebuilt (top and bottom end) 680 Ultra SP motor from a 1996 for $1000. The motor came with everything, pipe, manifold, carbs, cdi, airbox, etc. So I figured that the $500+ that it would cost me to rebuild my motor, why not stuff a triple into my chassis? I have since found a set of used triple pipes for it so I am a 100% go for this project.

The eventual plan is to make this sled into a crossover sled as I go to the mountains once or twice a year and rental company's charge a tidy sum of money to rent a sled for a week. The long track conversion I can take care of myself and probably wouldn't happen until mid season or before the next riding season comes along.

I was hoping that I would be able to use the collective knowledge of the people on this website to help me with the engine conversion. It's my first time swapping a motor in a sled or ever and I want it to go as smooth as possible. I think that I will have only a few hiccups along the way...aligning and spacing the motors and clutches, moving the steering pitman arm, and moving the motor mounts. There may be an electrical question or two along the way as well.

I plan to have this in a running state by the time the snow flies, as I want to test for gearing, clutching and jetting before we start to get our January and February blizzards and the real riding starts.

I will be updating as I go along and there may be the possibility of a how-to if I feel ambitious enough. It seems like a lot of people are doing triple conversions these days.....

Cheers.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
to fit the triple in there the left motor mount is pretty much ok to use, but if its like the 800 twin you will have to move the right hand mounts over. where the stock front right mount is i believe it hits the water pump of the triple.

the other thing is that you can get the coolant jug from an edge to open up room on the right hand side so you can get the carb in there. other than that its a pretty easy setup.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
madcow said:
to fit the triple in there the left motor mount is pretty much ok to use, but if its like the 800 twin you will have to move the right hand mounts over. where the stock front right mount is i believe it hits the water pump of the triple.

the other thing is that you can get the coolant jug from an edge to open up room on the right hand side so you can get the carb in there. other than that its a pretty easy setup.
Left and right when you are looking from the rear? I believe the pto side is usable and the mag side has to be moved. The steering pitman arm also needs to be moved and a straight steering post from a wedge chassis must also be used......unless I run without an airbox...which isn't happening. The existing mag side motor mount will need to be moved to make room for the water pump and for proper alignment with the motor mount plate(s). Any suggestions as how to remove the front mag side motor mount? My existing one is welded to the bulk head.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone know if the clutch off of my XC500SP motor will fit onto the 680?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
No it won't fit. Different motor manufactureres = different tapers and thread sizes
You would need a clutch from a '96-'97 ultra or xlt. These are a direct part number match-up, so I can gaurantee it would work. The triple-triple motors used a pretty heavy duty primary clutch compared to the other Fuji's. They had wider arms on the spider, which meant wider rollers.
I'm hoping since you paid $1000 for the motor, it included the clutches since the price included everything else.

and a side note from your earlier post, yes, left and right as you are looking from the rear. Direction is always referenced from as if the rider is sitting on the seat.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
No it won't fit. Different motor manufactureres = different tapers and thread sizes
You would need a clutch from a '96-'97 ultra or xlt.[/color=red] These are a direct part number match-up, so I can gaurantee it would work. The triple-triple motors used a pretty heavy duty primary clutch compared to the other Fuji's. They had wider arms on the spider, which meant wider rollers.
I'm hoping since you paid $1000 for the motor, it included the clutches since the price included everything else.

and a side note from your earlier post, yes, left and right as you are looking from the rear. Direction is always referenced from as if the rider is sitting on the seat.

Actually, he can use the clutch off of a Storm or an XCR triple as well.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I figured those would work as well seeing as they are all the same bottom end, but they didn't show up as a direct PN match so I didn't include them
The thing that surprised me was that the XLT monoblock also matched up[confused]

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I'm really surprised that the XCR 700 trip didn't match, it's the same motor..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. I didn't get the clutches......but all things considered when I looked at motors on ebay, they didn't include.....well anything for around 500-650, just the motor itself (Crankcase, crank, cylinders, etc), no carbs, cdi, water pump, etc. Plus I didn't have to pay shipping as it was a local sale. so if I have to buy the clutch, it's no biggie.

Just to confirm though, any ultra, xlt, storm or xcr (excluding the 700???).

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
one from a 700 will work

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
^I suppose you already know, having done the swap already [;)]

I wouldn't say any XLT though. Try to steer towards any of those 1996+ triple triple motors

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
For performance riding without changing the weight/spring, and 800XCR clutch is probably the best pick....

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the clutch from the 500 will work. i run an 800 twin heavy duty on my 1000 xcr and the taper is just fine.

you cut the front right motor mount off and reweld in on over several inches. then you simply drill a new hole for the rear mount.

yes you need a straight shaft steering to make the triple air box work.

for clutch parts you use the wieghts and springs for your engine no matter what clutch you use.

if you use the xcr 800 weights and springs that engine will not be able to rev up at all.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just received my SLP trips. I should be able to start on this project soon. I think that I have all my ducks in a row to start mocking this up when I get time at the beginning of september.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, time to get serious folks.....

The start:

Air box removed:

Pipe/silencer be gone:

Carbs gone:

Coolant drained:

Motor out:

I will continue on my quest for triple awesomeness on Sunday. My next planned steps were to remove the coolant/oil bottles. I was then planning on cleaning everything up and doing an overall inspection......checking the rivets and making sure there are no cracks or twisted frame components.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I believe there is a grease zerk on the steering post down there that can easily be accessed with the motor out, now would be the time to do that.
Keep up the good work, you're starting to inspire me[dudeski]

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm swapping the steering post out because you need to have a straight style steering post to have clearance for the ultra airbox. Speaking of, I hope it arrives next week.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No doubt. I have it all apart now, so any maintenance issues should be taken care before this gets put back together. Do it right, not twice.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts