Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was searching craigslist and seen a 2001 500, the lady that owns it dosnt know if its an xc or xc sp, and after closer look at the picture in her add it looks like its a 2003, unless someone swapped the trailing arms, tub and seat onto an 01.

I asked her if she'd be inetersted in trading for my 97 sks 700 which is all piped and what not, and she is interested, were going to check out each others sleds tomorrow.
I figure sence I use my sleds for transpo the 500 might be a good idea? and if I want more power I will just ride my prox when I finish it.

are the 500's reliable? looking for info on the ves and non ves versions..

and in the end, do you think it would be a good deal on my part? The 500 is on CL for only $1200, and I was asking $1500 for mine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
One of my buddys have a 2001 xc 500 sp and the thing is stupid fast and never let him down yet it stays right beside my 700 sxr all day long

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
500's can definitely be set up to have some giddy-up in their step. Very reliable engines, both the VES and non-VES. VES will need more maintenance since you should clean the valves every year or two.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right on. The girl said she only cares about how fast sleds go, not whats done to them. Hopfully when shes coming off a 500 to a modded 700 she will fall in love with it and have to trade.....

I'v seriously been trying to get out of the 90's if you cant tell. haha.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My 01 XCSP 500 with VES has been really reliable. It sat outside covered up for 9 days because we had no snow and it started in two pulls. It's never started in more than 3. It always starts and definitely runs better the colder it is. It still runs great in the warmer but it likes the cold. It's got a lot of get up and go and is plenty fast.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont think shes going to do it, the guy with her noticed my torque stop was loose and they didnt look it over much after that, oh well thats for pointing it out so I can tighten it up dude!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts