Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
New guy here with zero experience looking for a little help. I have a 2001 500 Indy XCSP that runs great cold but overheats. It will run fine for the first 10 minutes or so, then the temp light will flash and the motor slows way down (computer pulling timing?). I stop it, let it cool, then does the same thing again. There is plenty of loose snow on the ground. The heat exchangers never seem warm or hot to the touch. It is not leaking coolant, from what I can tell, however the level seems to change, it is high when cold, and low when hot. I pulled the cap to let it burp, let it run for a while, but I didn't raise the front of the sled. I tried a different cap, no effect. I tried running with the cap loose the other day, and I cruised with it for a while. I t ran fine for much longer than it usually does, but as soon as I gave it WOT the temp light came on and it started to bog. THe plugs look fine, and when I pulled the cap I can see that it is pumpin plenty of coolant, so I assume the pump is fine, otherwise it wouldn't pump. The flow of coolant seems fine, so I don't think it is the t-stat. How long should it take a cold sled at idle to get the hoses and exchangers warm? I will check for kinks tomorrow. The cap is the style without the little tab on it. Sled has 1500 miles, and previous did nothing but put gas and oil in it, no real maintainance that I can tell. Sorry for the long post, I was just trying to cover potential queations. I did some searching, and I will start by burping hte sytems with the nose 2 feet high and adding some coolant. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
i don't know if these exactly apply to your sled but they do mention a couple of ways to trouble shoot your system including that there is a bleeder screw.

https://www.polarisdealers.com/servwarr/SrvBulletins/SAF-02-03%202-20-2002%20Overheating.pdf

https://www.polarisdealers.com/servwarr/SrvBulletins/SAF-02-03%202-20-2002%20Overheating.pdf

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
if your hoses and heat exchangers aren't getting hot, then the coolant isn't flowing. first thing would the be the thermostat. could be an air issue. you need to raise the front and bleed the air out from the little screw on top of the thermostat housing, not the coolant bottle.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Does anyone know, do the Polaris' still have them little coolant screens in them? My friends' 95 XCR had the same problem and the coolant screen (meant for filtering) was clogged, so he took it out and it was fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips guys!! I will raise the nose of the sled tomorrow and bleed it properly from the screw. Where is the t-stat located, at the housing on the head, or the one at the base of the block? Would a failed stat stop the flow of coolant, or just slow it down, becasue I do see that it is pumping coolant at idle. I will look closer tomorrow to see if the flow changes with rpm. Rebel-I know you don't know if my sled has a screen, but do you remember where in the system your friend's was so I can check the same spot on my system? Thanks again guys, I will report back in a few hours.

·
Registered
102 Posts
On some sleds, the thermostat controls a valve that blocks or allows the coolant to flow. Once the engine reaches a certian temperature, the thermostat tells the valve opens and that allows the coolant to flow to the engine and the heat exchangers. I'm guessing here, but since the coolant pump runs all the time, there is probably a bypass that allows the coolant to circulate in the upper part of the system so the pump doesn't burn up by trying to pump agaist a closed valve. You would be able to see the coolant flowing throung the resevoir tank all the time even though the valve would never open and allow it to flow to the engine. Maybe try running the sled for a bit then seeing if the coolant is actually hot.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Some times there a problem with the temp sensors, My dad just had that happen to him, Sled ran fine up to 40 mph, then fall flat on its face. The temp light flickered on and off. We replaced it, sled runs great.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
'01's had temp sensor problems, replace your's and it will help. Also remove the thermostat, all it does is allow your sled to warm up quicker as there are alot of guys that have to patience to warm them up properly.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
it could be a temperature sensor issue like these guys are saying, but again if the hoses and heat exchangers aren't hot, the water isn't flowing. the thermostat is in under that fitting on top of the head. two bolts hold it down, little thermostat inside. bleed it first though like you're saying. lift the front up and take that little screw on top all the way out. run it, should only take maybe two minutes to warm up enough for coolant to flow. some will probably splash out just from shaking and little bubbles will come out. when it flows out smooth it's bled. make sure you have a big rag around otherwise you'll have a mess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like a dummy, I stripped the head of the bleeder screw, so I couldnt bleed it properly. I did raise the nose and put the machine right side high, so the bottle was the highest point and popped the cap off. It pumps plenty of coolant, all of the hoses are definately getting warm, as are the exchangers. The light came on while I was fiddling with it, as I had it idling for a while. I turned it off, let it cool for a bit. It didnt overheat when I took it for a ride, and I gave it WOT for a bit too, but it was definately down on power. Trottle response was poor, engine was slow to wind up and engage the clutch, wouldnt really spin past about 6k, and top speed seemed to be about 40, but it was -3 below and I only have a motorcycle helmet and ski clothes, so my ride wasn't too long. I have not noticed any coolant smell or hot motor smells when it has had its "overheating" symptoms, so I am wondering if it might be the sensor. I have spilt a bunch of coolant from taking the cap of when its hot, so it is hard to tell if it is overflowing. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
SneakyPete, honestly, I haven't the slightest clue as to where that screen is, or if yours even has one. I just remembered that happening to a bud of mine. Has anyone else heard of them coolant screens on the Polaris'? Or am I just nuts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was the temp sensor. It runs real snappy now, like a completely different sled. I am honestly surprised at the power of the little 500. Thnaks for the help, you give saved me a lot of time, aggrivation, and cash!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts