Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at my gf's place, and her room mate is having a little car trouble, you put the key in and it won't work, the ignition won't turn, it's almost like it's the wrong key, but it's not. If you play with it for a bit it works, but sometimes it takes a while. Anybody know what the problem could be?

·
Registered
78 Posts
How many times has the key been copied? If it has been then it could be just a little off. I have also had keys and ignition switch's wear out. Another thing is try turning the steering wheel a bit as you turn the key. sometimes the wheel lock will keep the key from turning. Just some ideas.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Her bro said he tried turning the wheel and it didn't do anything, and I don't think the key has ever been copied. I had her car 2 days ago and it did it to me, I played with it, taking the key out, and putting it back in and I finally got it to work, I'm thinking it's worn out, but we don't have another key to test that.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
ive seen this many times. if its the original key then its just wore down.but one of the things that happens is from the key going in and out from it rubbing all the time the metal dust settles in the tumblers and causes them to stick. might have to go to the dealer with the vin number so they can order a new key. also a good idea is to get some of that canned air with the tube and blow out the ignition.blow it out really good then wait a few minutes for the tumblers to warm back up.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Bobinwi
[br]ive seen this many times. if its the original key then its just wore down.but one of the things that happens is from the key going in and out from it rubbing all the time the metal dust settles in the tumblers and causes them to stick. might have to go to the dealer with the vin number so they can order a new key. also a good idea is to get some of that canned air with the tube and blow out the ignition.blow it out really good then wait a few minutes for the tumblers to warm back up.
It was just worn out, we found another key she had laying around and it works, I'll let them know about blowing it out.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Let her know its soon time to change the ignition. Better to do it now than have it fail in the middle of winter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Corolla's and Prism's are identical with different Manufactures, but the point being is the iginition is starting to go. Like mentioned above, not only is the key worn, the mechanisms(tumblers)within the ignition are worn as well. This eventually is going to lead to non-contact between the ignition and the key. My girlfriend had the same problem with her Prism.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Originally posted by 05XCSP
[br]The Corolla's and Prism's are identical with different Manufactures.
They are made in the same plant: New United Motor Manufacturing in Fremont, California. The only difference is the bading.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Originally posted by Bobinwi
[br]ive seen this many times. if its the original key then its just wore down.but one of the things that happens is from the key going in and out from it rubbing all the time the metal dust settles in the tumblers and causes them to stick. might have to go to the dealer with the vin number so they can order a new key. also a good idea is to get some of that canned air with the tube and blow out the ignition.blow it out really good then wait a few minutes for the tumblers to warm back up.
You'll most likely need a photo ID and proof of ownership to get a key copied at a dealer, at least you should.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
yeah you should but that is also the new way car thieves get keys. they copy down the vin call the dealer and they have a key in a few days

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
just another problem with keep ing older cars ,heck my 85 caprice is on the 3rd ignition switch

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Originally posted by Octane
[br]
Originally posted by 05XCSP
[br]The Corolla's and Prism's are identical with different Manufactures.
They are made ASSEMBLED (in the USA to avoid the tax on importing them) in the same plant: New United Motor Manufacturing in Fremont, California. The only difference is the bading.
I edited your post to make it accurate. And just for reading material.. that plant is called "NUMMI".. its how toyota got their foot in the door in America. Its how they first got around the US tariff's (taxes) on importing. If interested, its here http://www.pbs.org/nbr/site/research/educators/060322_28a/

And if anyone is crazy enough to argue with me.. here is a quick source
http://www.importexporthelp.com/importing-cars.htm

DUTIES MUST BE PAID UPON ENTRY

Used or new and either for resale or personal use, a foreign manufactured vehicle imported into the U.S.A. generally requires duties be paid at the following rates (subject to change):
Auto - 2.5%
Trucks - 25%
Motorcycles - either free or 2.4%

After toyota builds the upcoming 2 plants they are talking about.. the total for toyota plants in the USA is only seven.. haha..
GM has 30+ http://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/30/two-more-toyota-plants-coming-to-north-america/

I am not singling out any of you.. just educating you on "Toyota"..bad for north america.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Hey arcticcattmatt, Why didn't you post that a few months ago. I had a topic about that I was looking for a different vehicle. One of my criteria was that it had to be either Ford, Chrysler, or GM--no foreign manufacturers. A few people tried to rip me apart, telling me "it doesn't make a difference" and "oh, you are just being close-minded." Well, I didn't end up getting a different vehicle, anyway.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
^ I work in the auto industry, I attend alot of meetings. I have alot of information in my head hence why I have the opinons that I have. I base my opinions on facts, not heresay.

If you ever have a question about anything.. I can do my best to answer, and if I don't know it, I know where to look for that answer. And also if that source is crediable or not.

And I didn't post that months ago because there is always someone that wants to go back and forth about the issue. But I am overeducated in the field as I deal with it daily. Every vehicle is different then another vehicle for one way or another. And the number one top thing for me is what one creates the most american jobs and most supports the US economy? I can tell you for a fact that its not a Toyota [;)]. And I love it when they say "Toyotas are more reliable".. Every GM in my family has got over 250,000 miles on it, so I can't agree with that. But you know what they will say back "well study's have shown that.."

A common study is "Problems per 100 vehicles".. the results will vary with whoever makes the test. I have seen some say toyota has only 10 problems per 100 vehicles, and I have seen some say toyota has 91 problems per 100 vehicles. Many things I am getting now are showing that domestics are doing great in comparasion. Now, as I stated before, I base my opinion on facts and beliefs, not a magazine article.

The fact is.. I drive a vehicle thats 86% north american parts, based in north america, contributes more to our economy then foreign vehicles, gets the best gas milage over foreign comparsions, cost me less then foreign comparsions, is the longest lasting truck on the road (according to state registrations (which is a very good source)), is a great vehicle over all for me, and it contributes to my paycheck. Now, someone will read an article in a magazine that says "toyota quality doing slightly better then gm" or something, and then tell me that I should have bought a toyota. There are many other factors and sources to evaulate, and its sad that so many people in America today don't take the time to do so.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I like the fact that my GMs have been reliable. I own three GM pickups. The NEWEST one will turn 202,000 miles in about 45 minutes from now. Whatever. That is beside the point. Like you, what matters to me is the US economy. And the Asian and European cars just don't it for me.

Sorry for jacking this thread.

Well, actually arcticcatmatt did. Ha ha.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I completely agree, I'm a GM tech at a Chevy/Buick dealership and I see no more major issues than when I worked in a Volkswagen shop. Sure they all have their issues, but the domestics are being made better now than they have in the past.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts