Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of anyone having a VES valve snap in half before? I just pulled my VES apart last night, with 1100mi, to find that one of the valves was snapped in half and stuck in the block! From the looks of the ends of the broken parts, this doesn't look to be anything recent. I'm also wondering if this was broken from when I bought the sled new and just didn't notice the problem, or would I have noticed this problem right away? Any ideas on getting the broken part of the valve out? I'm trying to keep from bringing it in to a dealer if possible to save money for riding this year! :) Any information or ideas or... anything would be very helpful!! Thanks

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
That's odd. Even if the valve was gummed up with carbon and stuck in place, it still should not break. The cylinder pressure should have torn your rubber guilotine boot open before ever breaking the exhaust valve. I'm guessing that somebody tightened the nut too tight that goes on the end of the valve. Just a guess.
I also think you should have noticed a performance loss, especially at WOT because your broken valve probably just sat in the "low" position while the other one was open like normal.

Take your exhaust system completely off, and reach in the top of the exhaust port with your fingers and see if you can push the valve out from inside. You can usually see the closed valve just by looking into the backside of the cylinder. Make sure the piston is down first, there will be more room and less chance at damaging it for any reason. You may need to pry out the broken piece, but do it with extreme CARE! It may also help to spray a little lube down from the top side too. Avoid harsh solvents. Maybe even try a needle-nose vise grip from the top side, and see if you can get a grasp at it.
Again, this is just what i would do, only suggestions. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I agree with MM About someone breaking it with a wrench and about how to get it out. I dont think it should be hard to get out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts