Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum and sleds in general. I have already gained a lot of good info reading through some posts, but wanted to ask a few questions.

I just picked up a 2001 Polaris 700 twin Classic with 2700 miles. I was looking for something with electric start and reverse. Most of my riding is going to be trial riding in northern and U.P. Michigan.

So, here is what I am looking for:

- known issues for this year/model/motor?

- what should I check/maintenance before snow flies?

- what's the deal with the electronic suspension???

- any tips on initial suspension set up? I am a large dude @ 250 without gear on.

sled was bought at auction. Starts easy, sounds good. Appears to be in good condition. The rear suspension doesn't seem to rebound fully on it's own. Should I be looking into shock rebuild/replacement? It has the XTRA-12 setup.

Thanks in advance for the help/ insight!

·
Registered
105 Posts
if the electronic shock still works,your lucky.pretty much all the 700 polaris motors are very durable,good running engines.if the shock is fubar,you can get a fox shock off of ebay to replace it,thats what i did.im assuming it came with extra12 as mine did.with fresh shocks,that suspension rides as nice as my 14 indy suspension!definatly pull the chaincase cover and douch out the case and put in new lube and be sure the case cover dosnt leak.also have a look at the speedo side drive bearings.mine were roached.other than that,just basic stuff,look at coolant level,motor oil,skegs,etc..i really like mine alot.i dont ride it as much now that i bought a brand new one last year though.i felt after 25 yrs of riding i wanting a new riding position.it should do 90-95 across a lake with a big guy on it.the only negative about that sled that i found,was that it is kinda thirsty!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Front Suspension is XC10 and rear is XTRA-12. The front track shock has an electronic control to allow you to change the pre-load on it from the seat. You can literally change the ride characteristics while you're in motion.

Suspension never recovers completely on its own - but it should come close if you aren't on the machine. With the skis on the ground (NOT on dollies or similar), lift the rear and set it back down. If the bumper sags more than an inch or so after the track hits the ground, your torsion springs are suspect. Check to see what position the blocks are in - if they're already cranked up to the high setting, and the skid is sagging under the weight of the sled, you need new torsion springs.

Contrary to what so many people will tell you - shocks do NOT control sag or ride height. This is dictated by the springs. The proper way to check the condition of the shocks is to remove the springs and see how smoothly the shocks move, and also test them for compressibility.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have 2002 700 classic- no electric start as previous owner took it out. but electric shock is fine. adjust if when on flat trail then again for rough trails/bumps. mine had 1800 miles. have really done nothing to it. used it all winter and one long trip in MI where I put 350 miles in three days. Only issue I had was winter was so cold one carb froze up. Poor design as it was stuck open throttle and gravity took all gas through engine and into muffler. Got all gas out of engine and got it running after cleaning carbs. BUt wow almost blew it up and when running gas was flying out of exhaust!!!!! Had to remove exhaust and dump a gallon of gas out of it. Then it ran fine. Mine runs perfect in premium gas. Uses less oil also. Not sure why. All looks stock. I added Blue LEDs to front suspension. Added picks to track (got used on craigslist from a wrecked new sled). saved me over $200. after all summer it started on 3 pulls.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, thanks for all of info! I have been out of state for work and had limited access to the computer, so sorry for the lack of response. Now that i am home i am planning on getting her into the garage and checking everything out! Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The is actually pretty rare, but doesn't increase the value because of it. The little brother 600 classic came in the edge chassis. I've personally never have seen an exact sled like yours. Since it's a gen2, that's why there was a bit of confusion about the suspension. The classic edge600 came with the m10.

The carbs can have a little tuning done to reduce the gurgles and burps but the keihins are known for that. Don't touch them if you are not having problems. The 700 big block motor is one of best polaris has made. The ultimate in reliability.

In any event, the x12 will be a great trail riding skid. Really comfy and does great for the long rides. If you get ambitious, you can raise up the seating position buy jamming a pad of 3" foam under the seat cover. I cut apart an old ripped seat and used the foam to raise mine. Helped a lot for me. Big guy like you will find it really helps.

Another upgrade my be to find a set of Fox x12 shocks from an xlt. Better ride and rebuildable. All 4 should fit as long it can from a xlt with x12 all around. A decent price would be $200 for all 4. They are getting cheaper by the year.

And this is all I know folks....well maybe not, but for now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 99 XC 700 wich is close to your sled very reliable engine with proper maintenence,get your self a factory shop manual that will be a huge help.One thing make sure all grease points in the rear suspension are lubed and free moving,when i got my sled all the grease was dried/caked up and this did not allow the suspension to articulate properly.The only choice then was to remove the skid a dissasemble everything and clean,reassemble and added the heaviest torsion spring polaris had and all is good.Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts