Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt

alt

Preferences

hi i have a 2001 xc 600 just got new crank in it backfired before i did this carbs cleaned new carb boots new exhaust bellows still backfires im gunna try new spark plugs any other things i should check
P.s. my brother has a artic cat z 440 and the carb boot between carb and air box was ripped and ran boggy even shut off then put new one on ran like a champ. but let me know on the xc 600

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my 2002 600. did you ever find the cause I too have tried everything I can think of.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2002 Edge 600, it has 4,000 miles on it. I just bought it from my brother in Law. It ran OK but had old gas and it looked like the cylinder o-rings were lust slightly leaking coolant so I replaced them along with the thermostat gasket.

I put in new gas, cleaned carbs. The sled has trouble idling and has backfired when starting. It also has a bog when trying to get above idle and will backfire once and awhilw however it runs great when you get past the idle circuit. I rode it 60 miles last week and it ran great off idle.

Please give me any clues where to look.

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
PolarisinMN sound like your running rich.

i have a little issue i noticed that my pto side plug is a little on the black side compared to the mag but my sled has 5800mi on an untouched motor so id imagine its just the reeds starting to wear

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Backfiring always follows the fuel....what this means is if it's rich, there will be to much fuel in the exhaust so it will backfire out the exhaust. If its lean, there is not enough fuel in the combustion chamber so it will backfire out the carb(s) where the fuel is.

So in your case, you have a lean mixture on that particular cylinder. So you have to correct this issue, which you say you have checked the crank seal and it is ok, so next you are looking at a base gasket, or an intake leak near the carb boot/reed cage. Next I would make sure the piston hasn't broken a skirt off. Aside from that, make sure the exhaust valves have gaskets on them and that the bellows are not torn. I know you said you cleaned the carbs, but if its backfiring only at idle, you need to clean the pilot jet, and if its more of a midrange, cruise speed backfire, then you need to look at the main jet.

Good luck!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts