Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would just to know some of your opions on the 2001 polaris xc sp 800. How fast, How go of gas milaege stuff like that. thanks

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
First off what I am going to say is that the 700 can keep up with it in just about every area but a few. For milage, you can expect around 10 mpg I think, speed, upwards of 110 to 115 mph. Lots of tourque and very quick. The 800 tends to be less reliable than other twins that polaris makes. Overall, it is a good machine, but I would look into the 700. BTW, the HP differences between the two aren't that much apart.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Isn't the 2001 800 the one that is VERY hard to start?? I've heard they are a bear to crank those big pistons over, because then in 2002 they put a decompresion hole in the cylinders to ease start-up.
Is this right, or am i on crack?

·
Registered
227 Posts
MegaMan you are correct it is a bear to pull over especially when it is cold. But don't let them kid you when they say the decompression relief makes easier, the '02 is still not a free air 500, but what do you expect from an 800 twin.

erick, I don't believe the '01 800 is less reliable, I think the '02's were less reliable and giving a bad rap to the '01 800.

webergeoff, now for the question at hand. My '01 800 I love. With a clutch kit it pulls power through 100 mph, tops out at 117 on the speedometer, not gun or gps. The only things I have done to it in the 3000 miles is a heelclicker clutch kit and a new belt at 2800 miles. not because it broke but thought it might need a new one. Original plugs in it. Might change this year. I have gotten 127 miles on a tank of gas. The '01 700 will not come close to that, my friends '01 700 gets 85 miles to the tank, they did a mid year release of the 700's to fix that problem.(correct me if I'm wrong) The only stock 700 that will run with it is probably a '98 for some reason every '98 700 I've seen just runs strong.(got my ass whipped by one, he said it was stock) The Edge suspension is awesome, like driving your lazy-boy through the trails. Oil consumption is low, it doesn't have VES so you don't have to worry about tearing valves out to clean or VES friendly oil, low maintenance, and with a world of afermarket products there is alot more to get out of it. Just my $0.00001 worth.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the 98 were fast because of the aproach angle of the track , the drive axle was closer to the ground. and the body seems to flow air a little better.

stock 800s die at 100 they are fast for trail but nothing to write home about for long pulls or any pull over 80. milage is how you are setup and ride. yes the edge is a nice ride. it feels like it has a soft spot for groomed trail cruising but still handles the rough pretty nice. little more travel and better than the xtra 10.
if you are getting it to pipe it for high speed save your money. after piping it, it just makes the stock hp of the xcr, for lake running dollar for dollar the xcr has no trouble trail riding at 190hp. if kept stock the sled should be plenty of trail hp for most people,

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
j-2-800, do you get 117 in 2000 feet, or top end. My buddy with his stock 1995 800 ZRT hits 117 in 2000 feet, the XC's are nice I really like them, thery are one of the best Polaris machines out there but I think the 700 is faster, the 800 is more for the trails, and it is very hard to crank when it is cold. (I hope you strong)

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Originally posted by j-2-800
[br]
erick, I don't believe the '01 800 is less reliable, I think the '02's were less reliable and giving a bad rap to the '01 800.

they did a mid year release of the 700's to fix that problem.(correct me if I'm wrong)
First off I think that Erick knows what he is talking about because of his 'connections'.[;)]

Second the mid-year fix was actually the addition of the VES in thee 2001 XC700.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts