Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week I picked up what I thought was a good deal on a 2001 Touring 500F. It is a 2up with I think a 136" track, and electric start. I bought the sled knowing that it had two bad PTO side main crank bearings. I already got a new crank, pistons and gaskets on the way for it. Just curious about what this sled is worth in good condition and why that side bearing would have gone out?

The only thing I figure is the old crank looked like it had been apart before and then welded (only on the PTO side and it looked like crappy weld job).. maybe that web wasn't straight? Either that or the previous owner over heated it.

The cylinders look great and are within spec but I am getting two stock sized pistons to put into it after a quick hone. I figured it would be a good girlfriend sled or she can at least ride on the back.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
should be a good sled, poor lubrication is probably the cause for the bearings, check all the oil lines make sure they arnt broke or plugged, if there is quite a few miles on it the rebuild is a good idea as long as you have it apart anyway, not sure when they changed it, its probably a 136" otherwise its the 133.5". the e start is just icing on the cake, i rode one that a friend of mine rented out west, when dad kicked me off his mountian sled i got stuck on it, and i can say i had a blast on it

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. Yesterday I was preping everything so its ready to go when I get gaskets. I actually drilled another oil passage on the PTO side to allow oil to get between the two outer bearings. Not sure why they would only have the one passage going to the outside of that outer bearing with nothing for the inside-outer bearing

1 - 3 of 3 Posts