Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on my 2001 XC SP 800. First off, love the sled, I just upgraded from a indy 500. However, I just couldn't live with myself if I didn't try to improve it in some ways.

It has a 1 inch lug track...with no studs. I ride some trails and feel uncomfortable without studs. I have read some on the 800 crank issues; how much more strain am I putting on that crank with some studs? I almost can't live without them and might have to take the chance...how many should I put on?

Another issue...I am not going to start the arguments over how much snow I need to ride, but I live in north central Illinois with minimal snow at the moment. What I will ask about is the coolant temperature? How hot? I have been riding some and make a point to find as much snow as possible. I rode tonight, stopped and felt the heat exchanger, not terribly hot, I could keep my hand on it without burning...Any opinions?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
you should definately get studs, and i'd say a clutch kit. if you do an actual kit it's gonna run you some money, probably about $200. right now we're doing some clutch work on my buddies stock 01 800xc, going up a couple grams on the weights, and new springs. stock helix. won't get to test it for another week and a half though.

you'll know it if the sled is overheating. it has an overheat safety thing that cuts ignition and won't really let you go anywhere, plus a little temp light. i've overheated mine before, running on hard packed trail and ice.

unless you're doing a pipe or pipes, or some other engine work, i wouldn't worry about the crank issue too much. it's kinda blown out of proportion on the internet. do a search on it and you'll find a lot of discussion. wouldn't hurt to get an SLP push arm for the mag side though.

144 studs works very well for trail riding. i personally like them all in the middle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the exact same sled. I have 144 studs between the windows and have not had any problems. I also have been tweaking my clutch and have found that 10-66 weights with and Almond/Red primary spring works awesome coupled with the stock R12 helix and a silver/blue spring. Clutching changes really woke up my sled.

The crank issues with 800's has been blown out of proportion. I have talked with two local dealers (ones rather large) and they both told me the only time they have witnessed crank issues on the 800's was when the owners clutches were not maintained. All the issues were caused from worn clutches that out of balance and vibrating, causing bearing failure. It is a great sled, not the fastest, but respectable.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
that's very similar to what we are trying in my buddies. the only difference is we put in an SLP green/yellow primary spring which is 160-310 as opposed to the polaris almond/red which is 165-310.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advice guys...one more thing though. It seems to be kind of an argument on where to put the studs. I have pretty much decided to put 144 in, exactly where I don't know yet. Some have said to keep them in the middle, others didn't seem worried about putting them outside the windows? How about protecting the tunnel? I think there is adequate clearance under there for some one inchers?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally posted by sledman53
[br]thanks for the advice guys...one more thing though. It seems to be kind of an argument on where to put the studs. I have pretty much decided to put 144 in, exactly where I don't know yet. Some have said to keep them in the middle, others didn't seem worried about putting them outside the windows? How about protecting the tunnel? I think there is adequate clearance under there for some one inchers?
first off, the heat exchangers act as tunnel protectors. the heat exchangers are in line with the track clips so the studs can't hit the exchangers. the track hits the exchanger and can't go any higher (which would allow the studs to hit the tunnerl). i like the studs in the middle, 144 in the middle in my opinion is perfect for trail riding. i don't like them on the outside for two reasons, one is they dig in around corners and i like to have a little bit of slide in a corner. and two, because they dig in, they are more likely to pull through.

i made my own pattern to put 144 in the middle for my new track, i'll try to get a pic later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts