Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
anyone know how long/hard/much it will be to fix this. its on the right side and has quite a leak. is it a home fix or should it go to the shop?
thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, the gasket underneath the right piston. not the head gasket, but the one 4 inches below.Does this help? If you knw the proper name of it, let me know.
Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
i call em basegaskets. they arent too costly although u have to buy them in a set of three, because they sell them attached, even tho u cut the tabs off when u install them. they are about 35-40 bucks from cat, and id only buy cat because after market parts suck for stock engines in my experience. ull have to take ur jug off and put the new gasket on. its a pretty easy job. heres a pic of the gasket and engine[attachment=58952] you'll want number "8". hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
482 Posts
easy.
Drain coolant at engine base,
Remove head bolts and head
Remove exhaust from the cylinders
Pull Carbs out of the boots
Remove cylinder stud bolts that hold down the cylinder
pull up/off cylinders

Then to reinstall the cylinders on the pistons, get them on 1 ring at a time. Squeeze the ring with one hand so that it is compressed, then slid the cylinder down with the other, then do the other ring. Dont force it.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
since this is a reed valve engine no need to take the carbs off

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tip everyone. How hard is it to get the cylinder back over the piston and rings? [:I]

·
Registered
482 Posts
well whatever you do you need to separate the intake from the cylinders so they can lift off. Putting the cylinders back on the pistons is easy, you just need to have the right touch and be patient, a little wd40 helps to lube things up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I really appreciate the help. Any tips on the coolant? Or just fill er up when complete. I heard that it is best to have the front end raised up quite a bit to have the coolant flow all the way to the back of the sled.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've refilled a couple on coolant and all I did was pour in some coolant until you could barely see it at the bottom of the reservoir, then start the sled. Idle the sled with the coolant cap off, pour in coolant as needed. The whole process should take you 10-15 mins because when the thermostat opens up and you're going to want to rev it up to 4-5 grand, top it off as needed. The high RPM spins the water pump faster.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey there anyone...I just got the jug off an replace the bad scene of a gasket, no trouble at all, and thank you for the help so far. Here's where I'm at...I can't get the jug back over the rings, and I'm not too sure of how hard I should force it. So, any tips on how to get the jug/sleeve on would be appreciated.

Any help would be great

·
Registered
39 Posts
a friend to hold the rings in when u put the cylinder on. the rings should fit quite flush when u line the ring ends up with the pins in each of the ring slots, u can see them on the piston in the slots. they will only go on one way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts