Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have always loved the colour combo of these sleds the blue and yellow. i am interested in buying one myself for next year. i was wondering what the suspension is like and how the sleds are overall. are there any problems i should look out for between the 700 and 800. i think i am going to go with the 800 unless money is short. but what does the 800 top out at, and how are the motor (problem free or am i looking for problems, in general). which is more reliable and worth paying the $4000-$4500 canadian, 700 or 800?
how do they react to mods, i plan on pipes, clutching, gears, head work, and reeds.

thanks guys, nik

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I love mine. It's an 02 Edge X 800. Motor-wise it's all stock except for an MBRP race can, which sounds great. I couldn't tell you about the top speed or any other mods since i've only put on 140 miles. Awesome torque from 30 and up. My boss (who rides an 06 Yamaha Rage) rode it and he said it's got "scary amounmt of torque." I would recommend stretching it at least a 136". Mine's a 144" and I love it so far.

[attachment=50836][attachment=50842]

Some guys say that the crank bearing is weak. There is an upgrade for that. The exhaust valves are upgradeable to stainless steel (i think). But like anything, maintainance is huge. Find one that has been babied or low miles and I think you'd be fine. Mine had 1750 miles on it and i got it for $2000, cuz the chaincase was slipping. New chain and seal and I was good to go. I don't think you will be disappointed with either one, 700 or 800.

Good luck in your search.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
ok. My step brother just bought one and it is amazing. he has the 02 edge x 700. He also has slp twin pipes and its clutched. He ahs all the yellow accesories and it lokos amazing. He has fox shocks on it (not sure what type) but it makes my sled look like a 1973 yamaha 292, on moguls. Very powerful and so far by the way he rides im suprised it hasnt broke down. i am going to pm you some pictures of it and him jumping

·
Registered
236 Posts
Out of the Box bone stock the 700 is set up from polaris better. So if your not a tuner dont buy the 800. I ride and 02 800 and love it, but only after suspension changes, jetting down and clutching. TOns of torque thou.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
They are good sleds. In terms of ride and handing you will be hard pressed to do any better than an EDGE. You can call Polaris' trailing arm IFS an antiqated design all you want, but the honest fact is that it works and works very well.
Me personally, Id take a 600 over a 700 or 800, but its not as if the 7 and 8 are bad sleds.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the comments guys please keep them coming. there is one for sale around me for 4500 canadian but i will wait for the summer partly cuz i need more money and i will get it cheaper. it has 2000 miles on it thought and all yellow accesories.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've owned the 700 RMK for 4 years now and have found it be a most capable sled. I had a awesome dealer that made sure the clutching and jetting were right, but I had to make some changes to the chassis setup.

The Edge sleds from polaris are set up for the trail, even the RMK. On the trail it worked great (for a non rider forward sled) but once I took it off trail it handled horribly. The main reason for this is the handle bars are so low. Off trail one really needs to stand up and with the low handle bars I was hunched over and couldn't control the sled hardly at all. So I added a 2" and now a 3" riser plus I twisted the handle bars up as far as they would go to get max height out of them without having extend the brake and throttle cables. That was the biggest improvement to the handling, but I also narrowed the ski stance, pulled the sway arm and tightened the pre-load on the front shocks. I added Fishbone re-inforcements to the running boards as I jump the sled allot. And I moved the Limiter strap to maximum ski lift.

These changes took only one day of work and the handling off trail went from HORRIBLE to AWESOME. I mean a complete change in handling characteristic's. This is a 144"x2" camoplast and it floats very well and carves, climbs and jumps with ease.
After 3 years I had to change the torsion springs and installed the heaviest set, I weigh 190 to 220 depending on how much gear I have on and how fat I am, with all the jumping I do the stock springs just didn't last.

The 700's get a little better gas mileage than the 800, it has a little higher top end because the 800's are geared a little lower. The 800's trench a little more than the 700's. On the other hand the 800's have more torque.
Because of the longer track it has a tendency to push through the turns on the trail requiring me to slow down for corners considerably. However I can usually catch back up on the straights no problem. This suspension however does NOT take the whoops like the newer sleds do, it's also the RMK so it wasn't really built to take the whoops. But once you get the end of the trail and start climbing into the mountains it will take to places that will scare the Hell out of you.

In 4 years and several thousand miles I have not had one single problem to speak of. It does not like hard pack trails and can overheat if you don't have any snow to kick up into the rails and onto the heat exchanger (scratchers are a must if ride allot of hard pack).
This has been my experience with the 700 and although I will try to get a 800 RMK dragon this summer I have been absolutely happy with the 02 700 RMK. (This is a snocheck vertical edge model to it came with better shocks than the none snocheck).

My buddy had a XC 600 and it could just about go wherever I could and handled better on the trails. But once we got to the steep and deep his 121" track just couldn't stay on top of the snow and required mucho throttle to keep from getting stuck. Which any 121" track machine would have to do in the deeper softer snow. In the same conditions I can go any speed I want and can stop and get going again without getting stuck.

I told my now ex-wife that if she ever gave me an ultimateum that it was her or my sled, the sled would win.... and did.

The RMK is a little different than the XC but it's the same suspension and it worked great on the trails straight from the factory. The shorter tracked XC will take the whoops much better than the RMK and i'm sure you will be happy with either the 7 or 800 sleds.

I love my sled...
P.S. I have a better looking fantastik girlfriend that wants her own sled [:D]

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Jrw
[br]I've owned the 700 RMK for 4 years now and have found it be a most capable sled. I had a awesome dealer that made sure the clutching and jetting were right, but I had to make some changes to the chassis setup.

The Edge sleds from polaris are set up for the trail, even the RMK. On the trail it worked great (for a non rider forward sled) but once I took it off trail it handled horribly. The main reason for this is the handle bars are so low. Off trail one really needs to stand up and with the low handle bars I was hunched over and couldn't control the sled hardly at all. So I added a 2" and now a 3" riser plus I twisted the handle bars up as far as they would go to get max height out of them without having extend the brake and throttle cables. That was the biggest improvement to the handling, but I also narrowed the ski stance, pulled the sway arm and tightened the pre-load on the front shocks. I added Fishbone re-inforcements to the running boards as I jump the sled allot. And I moved the Limiter strap to maximum ski lift.

These changes took only one day of work and the handling off trail went from HORRIBLE to AWESOME. I mean a complete change in handling characteristic's. This is a 144"x2" camoplast and it floats very well and carves, climbs and jumps with ease.
After 3 years I had to change the torsion springs and installed the heaviest set, I weigh 190 to 220 depending on how much gear I have on and how fat I am, with all the jumping I do the stock springs just didn't last.

The 700's get a little better gas mileage than the 800, it has a little higher top end because the 800's are geared a little lower. The 800's trench a little more than the 700's. On the other hand the 800's have more torque.
Because of the longer track it has a tendency to push through the turns on the trail requiring me to slow down for corners considerably. However I can usually catch back up on the straights no problem. This suspension however does NOT take the whoops like the newer sleds do, it's also the RMK so it wasn't really built to take the whoops. But once you get the end of the trail and start climbing into the mountains it will take to places that will scare the Hell out of you.

In 4 years and several thousand miles I have not had one single problem to speak of. It does not like hard pack trails and can overheat if you don't have any snow to kick up into the rails and onto the heat exchanger (scratchers are a must if ride allot of hard pack).
This has been my experience with the 700 and although I will try to get a 800 RMK dragon this summer I have been absolutely happy with the 02 700 RMK. (This is a snocheck vertical edge model to it came with better shocks than the none snocheck).

My buddy had a XC 600 and it could just about go wherever I could and handled better on the trails. But once we got to the steep and deep his 121" track just couldn't stay on top of the snow and required mucho throttle to keep from getting stuck. Which any 121" track machine would have to do in the deeper softer snow. In the same conditions I can go any speed I want and can stop and get going again without getting stuck.

I told my now ex-wife that if she ever gave me an ultimateum that it was her or my sled, the sled would win.... and did.

The RMK is a little different than the XC but it's the same suspension and it worked great on the trails straight from the factory. The shorter tracked XC will take the whoops much better than the RMK and i'm sure you will be happy with either the 7 or 800 sleds.

I love my sled...
P.S. I have a better looking fantastik girlfriend that wants her own sled [:D]
wow, thats alot of usefull info. thanks alot thats going to make me change the suspension and handle bars.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have a 2001 XC 800. I was riding with a buddy last night that has a 2001 xc600 with variable exhaust. I've ridden his 600 before I got this 800 and I thought it had lots of power. Last night I drove my 800, then spent 20 minutes on his 600 and then jumped back onto my 800 and there is no comparison between the two. The 800 just plain has much more torque then the 600. More top end, more mid range, just more everything. Any of the thoughts I had about going from this 800 to a 600 for gas mileage were dashed last night. I like the power and the handling and would recomend the sled. Everybody talks about the crank issue, but I really wonder how many of the 800's that Polaris built actually blew up? I'll bet it's a small percentage and the ones that did were probably modded in some way. Anyways, just my thoughts.

Regards,

·
Registered
124 Posts
just watch that crank bearing. mine has piled up before. but i still love the sled and am really happy with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an 02 Edge X 600 and an 05 xc 700. I had the 05 before I got the 02 and if I had the 02 first I would have snowchecked a 600 instead of the 700. The polaris 600 is much better than a 700. The 800's are great sleds but I have seen problems with them. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what is this snowchecked i hear alot of?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Originally posted by 98srx700
[br]what is this snowchecked i hear alot of?
That is when you pre-order a sled in the spring. Sometime in march, for the next year.
Usually they (Polaris) offer incentives for buyers to buy in advance. Like upgraded tracks, shocks etc.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by BarkMulcher
[br]
Originally posted by 98srx700
[br]what is this snowchecked i hear alot of?
That is when you pre-order a sled in the spring. Sometime in march, for the next year.
Usually they (Polaris) offer incentives for buyers to buy in advance. Like upgraded tracks, shocks etc.
ok thats what i might have thought, but i thought i would double check.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
as for the crank bearing upgrade and the ss valves, where these problems in canad and the usa or just in the usa. and where can i get these done if not already done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts