Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this up as my first sled this fall. I have been riding with buddies that last couple years, and they got me hooked. We just go some snow here, and was able to get my first ride in yesterday. Cold staring the sled starts 2-3 pulls. It rean really good, had great throttle response, and was really snappy. My fist problem came after a shutdown, and trying to get the thing restarted. I pulled several times with no luck. Then I decide to try to hold it wide open, and pull. It started that pull. This is how I had to get it started each time. I also noticed that it didn't want to idle very well. It seems like it loads up. Any help will be appreciated. Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
hey i have the same sled, i had to add electric start because i had the same problem, and when mine idles after it warms up it stays at 3,000 RPMS....and if it does idle at 1500 it seems to only be on one cylinder....what does your idle at?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine has been idling at 3000 also, but if i blip the throttle a lit it drops down. to around 1500. It will hold at 1500 for a couple seconds, and then the tach drops to 0, but it stays running for a little bit at a very low RPM then usally dies.

It has the DPM option on it, which is suposed to adjust the air/fuel mixture. Do you still need to adjust the jets if it has this option? I am still trying to learn about it.

I am thinking that maybe a carb float is sticking and flooding it when I shut it down. When i get the chance I am planning to pull the carbs and clean them out.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Originally posted by trips67
[br]Mine has been idling at 3000 also, but if i blip the throttle a lit it drops down. to around 1500. It will hold at 1500 for a couple seconds, and then the tach drops to 0, but it stays running for a little bit at a very low RPM then usally dies.

It has the DPM option on it, which is suposed to adjust the air/fuel mixture. Do you still need to adjust the jets if it has this option? I am still trying to learn about it.

I am thinking that maybe a carb float is sticking and flooding it when I shut it down. When i get the chance I am planning to pull the carbs and clean them out.

Thanks for the responses.
No jetting should be needed in that case
pull the carbs and clean them..........30 minute job so its worth it
and it you could check out the plugs that could help

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had that issue on my 670 (for 1 ride) I dropped my needles 1 notch. Cured it right up! Otherwise, if it wont start on the 3rd pull, wfo your throttle while you pull.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Its just the temp mine does it some times too i just hold her wide open when really warm and deal with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled the plugs yesterday and they were nice and golden brown. There wasn't any white on them to signal a possible airleak. I am going to pull the carbs and clean them out.

proxJ - Do you mean outside temp? When it was doing it Sunday morning it was 5 deg when I left, so I don't think that it was too warm outside.

Thanks

·
Registered
644 Posts
do those carbs have idle jets.. like my old safari .. just get clogged sometimes they are a small jet and a big difference

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do u clean out the carbs and DPM? i have the same sled, i rode it for 2 seasons and i have had this same thing happen to me, but only if i stopped for 20 to 30 minutes. if the stop was longer or shorter i didn't have the problem. if i had to put money on it i would say the you need to drain the DPM and clean the carbs. u will need to remove the pilot jets and make sure that they are clean, also clean out the float bowls. if this does not work check you spark plug caps with an OEMS meter. if you get a reading much higher than 5000 OEMS you will need to replace them. hope this helps..

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I had this extactly sled! it actually starts better in stone cold weather then when it was completely warm for some reason but it was finally straight out by a different mechanic ( the one I bought from sucks , they didn't know what they were doing )he changed the updates needles from ski doo factory , and other things as well I forget what he did to it extactly! but he sure hell did fixed it better then this incompetent dealer can do!

·
Registered
707 Posts
My other mxz did that too. I just opened the throttle a little and it started right up. I've seen other sleds do that too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Earlier this week I went out for a little, and it died in a field. I could not get it restarted no matter what I tried. Even once it cooled off i still couldn't get it started. I pulled the plugs, and they were dry even after all of the pulling. I started looking at it, and pulled the airbox. I pulled the fuel line off of the carbs. Then I pulled it over to see if fuel was coming out. It took a lot of pulls before a dribble of fuel came out. I checked the diaphram in the pump and it looked OK. There doesn't seem to be much vacuum. Any ideas? I doen't think that it is even getting fuel to the carbs. I was told maybe the crank seal was bad and not allowing me to pull a vacuum. I'll keep you posted.

THanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 04 600 and 05 800 that do that. I replaced the reeds in the 800 and it runs fine now. Would always start in the cold but if it was warmed up I always had to crack the throttle to get it to fire. I have yet to do this to the 600 but I will. The stock skidoo reeds suck. Both machines have a little over 500 miles on them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts