Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm looking at a sled that someone needs to sell cuz they helped a buddy by buying it from them to pay a house payment. Its a 2002 pro x 440 liquid. has 6 inch risers with pivot, pro taper fat bars, hand guards, plastic skis, its geared, clutched, has 100 miles on fresh rebuild, 2000 miles on chassis, really nice 1.25" track, ride fx suspension all around, except the front left is snapped in half from hitting something, but they are putting brand new fox floater suspension in front before it is sold. They want $1500 for it and i know a 13 year old has been riding it the last year. i'm pretty sure i'll be doing it but would like some advise. Also if you have any input on the mods that are in it or some that i could do to it. i want to put exhaust on it but cant seem to find anything. this sled if i get it will be a ditch banging mo fo and will be hitting up the snocross track a good amount. thanks!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
There were 440 liquid Pro-Xs in 2002.
I personally wouldn't buy it, A) because it's been ridden by a 13 year old and B) it's a 440. (I don't care much for 440s). Granted the Fox Floats wouldn't be bad, as would the nice 1.25 inch track.

Another thing to think of is how come it needed to be rebuilt at 1900 miles???? Once again, I don't care for the finicky 440's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah true. but right now i have a 550 fan. and i need something that can keep up with my riding. i dont have a large budget whatsoever. what kind of problems do the 440's have?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
440 fanners aren't known for having very good engines

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
550 fan... 440 liquid. About the same in my books. The 550 fan would be less work since you wouldn't have to tinker with it all the time.

440 Liquid Race sleds are a thing of the past. I had two of them, a '96 and '98 XCR 440's and they are a royal pain. You spend more time adjusting carbs and clutching than riding.

Ride your 550, save your pennies and find an XC or Pro X 600. You'll be way better off.

PS - This Dekk guy has no clue what he's talking about. The whole time Polaris built Pro-X race sleds there was a liquid 440 version. Only available to racers.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
The 02 liquid 440 racer came with Walker Evans remote reservoir shocks. I wonder why they changed them? Ask them that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys i just dont want to get into something i will be regretting. haydays is coming up soon so i'll check there for a pro x 600. but trust me this 550 is not going to hold up this year. i raced erx in elk river last year and it just aiint going to work. although i took 2nd against two rush's a sno pro 600, rev 600 and an xlt 600. northway sports rush beat me. but i figure i need to get an upgrade if i want to continue to race. especially on the suspension aspect.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
The pro-x chassis was great until the rev and f-cat came out. In the snox/hillx/handling department the rev, IQ, and f-cat all handle quite a bit better.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
ripperd said:
The pro-x chassis was great until the rev and f-cat came out. In the snox/hillx/handling department the rev, IQ, and f-cat all handle quite a bit better.
Although I do agree about the IQ and Rev being better in those areas than the ProXr chassis, do you really think the firecat chassis is better than it there?

Dekk, you have no idea what your talking about. Polaris made a liquid 440 every year from 00' to 07'.

Anyways, keep looking. I know around here, $1500 for any ProX 440 ( unless its an 04 ) is most likely a bad deal. Wait for haydays. Im sure you'll see something you can't pass up. Although I've never been to HayDays, I know its just a much much much bigger version of the swap/trade section of the epping snowmobile show here, and even there theres some deals.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The race liquid 440s can be tuned to be completely reliable and trailable. If you don't have the ability and resources to tune, then yes, stay away. Too many people have been buying race sleds and then complain because they can't keep them running. They are made to rip to 60mph right now and stay there. Will they go faster, yes. Its when you try and burp them through the trails they load up and give you fits. Unless you make some changes to help reliability.
You did not mention if it still had race heads on it or trail heads. Things like that are good to know before a sled is bought and damaged due to lack of info.
Personally I would take a EV liberty 440 over a liberty 500 anyday. A properly set up and tuned 440 is a gas to ride and will keep up with the big boys in the twistys.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If your going to get a 440 get an 06-07. Think about it this way, that 02 has been a race sled for 8 years, made for people to beat the snot out of. That thing has been ridden hard and put away wet on many occasions, them switching out the shocks is kind of fishy also. You can buy an 05-07 440 all day for $2,500 in good shape. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Where the hell are you finding 05-07 440s for $2500?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
Craigslist.

Look around. I know in Maine, it's not rare to find 06's for that much. The only thing you cant find that cheap is IQ's.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
Once again, I don't care for the finicky 440's.
I stand corrected. A badly scored Pro-X 440 cylinder makes an excellent pen holder on my desk.
20109610321195_23360.jpg

·
Registered
118 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
Craigslist, haydays, Internet. It pays to look around, a couple months ago there was an 06 iq 440 that needed a seat for 2 grand that was discussed quite a bit on this site. Old 440's are going CHEAP.. Look at the rvs section on craigslist for sno pro, there's nice sno pros going for $2,400 or less everyday.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts