Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok think I found what I want after much research, A 2003 F7 Green. Supposedly the fastest stock sled ever built in the 2000's. Any Input on this sled. And what updates will I have to do to make it bulletproof and good for backcountry. Is a 13.5 track too narrow. Thanks

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I did read in a (Snowgoer?) magazine there was an article about how incredibly fast those things are for a 700 and for their time. Plus I don't believe they are known for any major problems. IMO it's one of the best sleds cat has made. It's the only sled of theirs I like.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have them all if you could only get one I would get the Crossfire they are some really nice sleds and like Mad-Boondocker said the track is just to narrow to go boodocking.....

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
A little on the tippy side but not to bad of a sled. I know a couple people though who's sleds have blown up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1.7 Lug? Im new to this where can I find one and will it help. What should I ask about the sled before buying. Thanks

Also whats the difference between F7 and F7 Sno Pro Thanks again guys

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Tracksusa or ebay. I think It will still trench even with that lug A guy named Quinlan has one on his sno pro and I think he says it still kind of trenches, Hopefully he will read this thread and maybe verify what I said or tell me if I am wrong. I know that the snopro's come with fox shocks and stiffer springs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So if not a F7 would would be the next fastest sled with a wider track. I do mostly backcountry and some straight racing with pals

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Then you're going to want a sled with a wider track in you're in deep snow, or you could extend the track on the f7.. An M7 maybe like said?

When you're looking at it you're going to want to check the track, look for tearouts, pulled out studs (where applicible) and make sure it looks like everythings been greased. Bring a compression tester (if you have one) and make sure it gets run while you're looking at it. And obviously it's always worth a shot to talk them down on the price.

Fireman1331NY said:
1.7 Lug? Im new to this where can I find one and will it help. What should I ask about the sled before buying. Thanks

Also whats the difference between F7 and F7 Sno Pro Thanks again guys
(If you don't know...) 1.7 is referrring to the lugs (paddles, whatever you may call them). They are the parts of the track that actually get traction on the snow. A bigger (longer) lug = more traction in deeper snow. You can pick up tracks on many sites but I think tracks usa is probably best.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I want to believe the M7's use a wider track than 13.5 but I may be wrong The M7's usually have a 2 inch paddle track on them. And like said 03's were the fastest of the firecats. I think 1.7 is not that deep but that's just me though. I have a suggestion on sleds if u do not mind I think u may like a ZR Mountain Cat 800, or a King Cat 900 They are mountain sleds but they do have lots of power that would be good for drag racing. An F7 gives the 800 a really good run for its money, I have never seen one race against a 900 but I have a feeling the 900 might win but those 03 F7's are really fast. Where do u ride? If u ride in NY a 163 is not that great on trails, I think a 144 or a 136 is the perefect track length for this area of NY that I live in. If u live in the mountains then yeah u should maybe consider a mountain sled.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I live on long island but Am gonna start going up to Old Forge and Maine (Forks to Bulldog) I believe. My friend has a cabin up there. Im also starting to look st a Mach Z or Thundercat. But Like I said wanna try and get Electric start and reverse.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
^ If your looking for those sleds and you're going to be doing mainly deep snow riding your going to want to go to extend the track or possibly a new track with a bigger lug.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
You should look into a crossfire 700. They came with a 136" track I believe and are prob nearly as fast as an F7. You can always pipe and clutch if you want more. Thats all the track youll need for this part of the country. Im not sure what kind of back country riding you can get into in maine, but "back country riding" dosnt exist in Old Forge and surrounding areas. Its actually illegal to ride offtrail in the adirondacks, unfortunately.

A crossfire is a good mix of what an f7 brings to the table and a comparable cc M series sled. Def do better on the traiuls than an M sled as well. I dont know what your budget is but I think in 2007 cat put an 800 in the crossfire. That should be pretty damn fast sled that will be very capable in a lot of different conditions.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Fireman1331NY said:
Are the M7's as fast as the F7's And how deep is two deep for a 13.5 wide track.
It isn't always about what equipment you got, its how good you ride. You could have a 162 inch HCR M8 with 3 inch lugs and Powerd Pro skis but if you can't drive, you can get stuck in 2 feet of snow.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
ArcticCatZR800 said:
Fireman1331NY said:
Are the M7's as fast as the F7's And how deep is two deep for a 13.5 wide track.
It isn't always about what equipment you got, its how good you ride. You could have a 162 inch HCR M8 with 3 inch lugs and Powerd Pro skis but if you can't drive, you can get stuck in 2 feet of snow.
^ what he said. Very valid point.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
The 03 F7's had some issues as they were the first year in production. You may want to ask if it's had any updates done to it. I believe there were both recalls and service bulletins posted for that sled. If nothing else, a dealer should be able to run the VIN and tell you what's been done.

The F7 SnoPro was built to take slightly more abuse over a standard F7. It came with better quality shocks and a 1.375" lug track (1" lug being standard).

You can put a 1.7" lug track on it, which will help get you around better off-trail. As mentioned, it will still trench quite a bit with the track only being 13.5" wide.
20091226184427428_3852.jpg 20091226184417694_3852.jpg

If you are riding in a couple feet of powder, you can still get around with the F7, but if you're talking multiple feet, I would be looking into a Crossfire or even an M-series in a 141" track. They will have more track, thus more surface area, and will get you around better in anything deep. The Crossfire will be slightly slower than the F7, and a M7 will more than likely be the slowest of the three.

It's all a matter of what you are calling "Backcountry" riding which dictates what kind of sled you will need.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts