Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright iv been looking up threads on this sled, and i hear alot of good things about it. I am just wondering if this is the sled for me. I am 6'0" heavy build, i dont need a fast sled just something with some low end torque, i love riding in powder and just carving. I am currently looking at a sled like this that the guy is asking 2500 obo, what should I offer him if this is the right sled for me? also he said at the end of the season the check engine light came on, it happened before and it was because of low oil. said he filled it up and rode a couple miles and it shut off, well he refilled it this time and all the snow melted so he doesnt know if the low oil is the problem yet? I like the look of the sled and everything but he lives 3 hours away and i dont want to waste a whole day to drive up there and not like it. or have him drive halfway and feel obligated to buy it? what do you guys think?

·
Registered
443 Posts
seems like a good price but if it is the oil i think every sled has a oil light if it gets to low but i dont know about acrtic cat i ride polaris and they have oil lights if it get to low.[thumb]

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Usually low oil means you have at least half a quart left. If it's an overall nice sled I would go for it, however I'd rather have an f6 or an f7 as the extra power is nice in the powder. Especially if you can turn a longer lug track. I'm looking to upgrade to an fcat chassis aswell.

·
Registered
443 Posts
ya but if a sled needs oil a oil light should come on not a check engine light so why would you put oil in it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
indyrider15 said:
ya but if a sled needs oil a oil light should come on not a check engine light so why would you put oil in it.
thats what i was thinking...anywho there is another just like it im looking at, same price, is this still a good sled for the type of riding i want to do?

·
Registered
443 Posts
ya it should be but maybe get something with more power for awesome powder[thumb]

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
i know my dads xc 700 when the oil is bone dry in that we put a quart in it and still needed more before the oil light would go out

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had one of those sleds for a couple years and it was great. Made 2 trips to Cooke with it and worked awesome. Used it as a ditch banger around here and handled that good to. U can really rip up th trails with those sleds. The only thing is I weigh around 160 so not sure how it would work for you.

·
Registered
443 Posts
ya so oil light came on not the check engine

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
motodeficient said:
The 13.5" track may not be the best choice for carving and powder riding. Other than that, they are nice sleds!
why would that not be good?

·
Registered
863 Posts
it will want to trench all the time..

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mxz440kid said:
it will want to trench all the time..
i dont mean to sound stupid, but what do you mean trench? i guess to mean i see it as less width on the track to turn it to one side thought it would be easier but maybe not.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Trenching is when your sled pushes the snow out from under you and behind you and makes a"trench" where you have ridden. They all trench just some more than others.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I dont think that a 500 firecat is really gonna be all that good for what you are wanting to do. The 500 is around 108 hp and not really what I would call a tourqe maker they are more of a screamer like a 440 snopro and with you being 6ft and heavy build I dont think she will have the beans to pull you around and as mentioned above trenching will be an issue in deeper snow. I would look for a crossfire 6 or 700 or somethin like a 8 or 900 zr as you should be able to find one of theos for a good price and that will have all the power you need. I personally would not get the 500 though.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The F5 is a great "ditch-banger". A lot of people underestimate the 500's. Yeah sure 98% of them can't go 100MPH but they still have quite a bit of power. Riding mountains/hills, carving, dropping off cliffs is just about all I do with my F7. My F7 is low geared and clutched so it's a BEAST in the powder. The only difference that i've noticed with a 13.5" compared to a 15" in the powder is that I can't "wheelie" in POW near as high with a 13.5". Other than that the left/right carving is about the same. I think you'd have a lot of fun with it. The Firecat chassis is a BIG step up from the sled that you have now. Go on HCS classifieds or ebay and you'll find out that there are A LOT of parts out there for the Firecat chassis. You can always find a 600-700 motor for cheap if you think the 500 does'nt have enough power. Just make sure the chassis is in good enough condition to be worth the motor swap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
alright iv been looking up threads on this sled, and i hear alot of good things about it. I am just wondering if this is the sled for me. I am 6'0" heavy build, i dont need a fast sled just something with some low end torque, i love riding in powder and just carving. I am currently looking at a sled like this that the guy is asking 2500 obo, what should I offer him if this is the right sled for me? also he said at the end of the season the check engine light came on, it happened before and it was because of low oil. said he filled it up and rode a couple miles and it shut off, well he refilled it this time and all the snow melted so he doesnt know if the low oil is the problem yet? I like the look of the sled and everything but he lives 3 hours away and i dont want to waste a whole day to drive up there and not like it. or have him drive halfway and feel obligated to buy it? what do you guys think?
Terrible snowmobile don’t ever buy recoil broke 3 times

1 - 18 of 18 Posts