Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if any one knows what the stock power is for a 2003 f7. Its not really a bad sled and i ride a polaris. Ive seen a few videos on youtube of f7's hanging with 1000 and beating 800's. If its true i might just have to get one myself. Some people have alot of hype about them and some say there not what there cracked up to be. Just trying to make some sense here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGrX5EUQNmI F7 vs 1000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QumWDV2tiM 06 F7 vs 03 F7 vs rev 800

·
Registered
863 Posts
its about 140, depending on the years.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
ya and usually about 170 with all the mods people do to them such as the pipes, clutching, gearing, boring, and how many studs to put the power to the snow/ice.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
zecow224 said:
ya and usually about 170 with all the mods people do to them such as the pipes, clutching, gearing, boring, and how many studs to put the power to the snow/ice.
It would take a LOT of work to make an F7 170 HP. Bikemans F8 big bore kit claims 170+hp but its about $2K. Most F7s youll see have nothing more than a can and maybe some clutching. They are very fast sleds bone stock, its def not all hype. They make good hp (esp the 03-04 model years) they are pretty light (460 lbs dry) and have pretty aggressive clutching right out of the box.
That being said, they can be beaten by a lot of other sleds with a little work. My 98 700 can take my brothers 03 F7 with a bikeman y-pipe, and offset flywheel key. I have a lot mods done to my sled, but the point is, dont just buy an F7 and expect to be the fastest thing out there, but youll def be one of the fastest.[thumb]

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Your looking at around 138-140HP on the F7. It is one of the fastest sleds ever produced. They are still pretty high in demand too. Awesome sled and one of my all-time favorites, if not my all time favorite. I know a lot of XC racers with Firecat's and all they do is spring changes on the clutches, stud the track with 51-96 studs, lean the fuel out a little, and maybe throw on a 'speedwerx' pipe and they see at least 111 and up to 118 on GPS. "BEE-LEE DAT"(Believe that)..haha. With the 03 F7, make sure all(or most) of the updates are done to it...it is the fastest year of F7's produced but they had the most problems/recalls.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Now i want one....[V]

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Luke said:
zecow224 said:
It would take a LOT of work to make an F7 170 HP. Bikemans F8 big bore kit claims 170+hp but its about $2K. Most F7s youll see have nothing more than a can and maybe some clutching. They are very fast sleds bone stock, its def not all hype. They make good hp (esp the 03-04 model years) they are pretty light (460 lbs dry) and have pretty aggressive clutching right out of the box.
That being said, they can be beaten by a lot of other sleds with a little work. My 98 700 can take my brothers 03 F7 with a bikeman y-pipe, and offset flywheel key. I have a lot mods done to my sled, but the point is, dont just buy an F7 and expect to be the fastest thing out there, but youll def be one of the fastest.[thumb]
It just seems fast. I have a 98 xc 700 that has the 220 cylinders on. so far im haveing a little more than trail porting done, wiseco pistons, slp power dome head, v-force reeds, power packs, and dynoport twin pipes with dynoport can. my clutch set up is 66gram weights with a gold spring in the primary and i have a arctic cat secondary with the snopro green arctic cat spring. im going today to pick up a cobra track today with 96 studs down the center belt. My buddy did own a 02 zr 800 but after he found out what i was doing he went and bought a 03 F7. My 700 already tore up his 800 out of the hole with the clutching but now that i have the engine work done hes scared. He told me F7's walk all over his zr all the time so he knows he will have no problem beating my 700.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Fast in straight line...YES. As others have said one of the fastest stock sleds produced........Handling department is a NO and not even close!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
i have some big guns in my yard right now xc 700 slp everything from secondary clutch right over to the twin pipes and it will rock also have an 03 f7 all D&D out ported and polished im not going to rule the xc out because i think it can beat it i have not yet ran them against one another but i cant wait too see what they got i also the zrt but its all stock along with and srx just clutched and v force reeds and an mxz..but i will tell on thing if you get and f7 get the efi they have that much more

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
MNSLEDNECK56308 said:
Fast in straight line...YES. As others have said one of the fastest stock sleds produced........Handling department is a NO and not even close!
I'll second that. They are made to go fast in a straight line that's why they have a 13.5" and not a 15". My G/F's 2010 F6 makes my F7 handle like sh*t. Haha!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
My old 98 XC 700 (the second of three that I have owned) with the 220 cylinders, a hot seat head,V-Force II reeds,SLP can on the stock pipe with my clutching and tuning did this to a number of F-7's including 03's on this given day out on Anchor Bay here is S/E Michigan back in January of 04, In no way am I saying that I ruled the track that day but I am just stating that a well setup and tuned sled can give them all they can handle, a well setup and tuned F7 (twin pipes,porting,timing advance key,clutched and geared and a fuel squeezer) can put out upwards of 160 HP, those sleds are tough to beat with their power to weight ratio, but as stated above the 03's did have dependability issues and more than a few recalls for stuff that went bad, the years coming after the 03's did not have the all out raw power but were still a force to be reckoned with, if your looking to go out and try to out run them in long distances across the lake you had better of packed your lunch and made sure you brought a big enough gun cuz your gonna need that because they had very long legs for top end speed, its all in your setup and tune, if you've got it right you can give them run for their money, but like I said, don't bring a butter knife to a gun fight as its just not gonna cut it.

10635.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
98700xc said:
My old 98 XC 700 (the second of three that I have owned) with the 220 cylinders, a hot seat head,V-Force II reeds,SLP can on the stock pipe with my clutching and tuning did this to a number of F-7's including 03's on this given day out on Anchor Bay here is S/E Michigan back in January of 04, In no way am I saying that I ruled the track that day but I am just stating that a well setup and tuned sled can give them all they can handle, a well setup and tuned F7 (twin pipes,porting,timing advance key,clutched and geared and a fuel squeezer) can put out upwards of 160 HP, those sleds are tough to beat with their power to weight ratio, but as stated above the 03's did have dependability issues and more than a few recalls for stuff that went bad, the years coming after the 03's did not have the all out raw power but were still a force to be reckoned with, if your looking to go out and try to out run them in long distances across the lake you had better of packed your lunch and made sure you brought a big enough gun cuz your gonna need that because they had very long legs for top end speed, its all in your setup and tune, if you've got it right you can give them run for their money, but like I said, don't bring a butter knife to a gun fight as its just not gonna cut it.

10635.jpg
Thats awesome i guess the only thing faster than a F7 is a xc 700. Go Polaris.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Pol700XC said:
98700xc said:

10635.jpg
Thats awesome i guess the only thing faster than a F7 is a xc 700. Go Polaris.
Not always, something I have learned over the years is that there is always a faster sled out there and sooner or later you will meet it and get humbled by it, it the nature of the sport, again I can't stress enough that overall setup and tuning is what makes all the difference, and don't get a big head because that is when you end up getting your A$$ handed to you, been there done that, you will win some and you will lose some, I'm upping the ante for myself this coming season with a 770 Engine Tech big bore with matching PSI Twin pipes, this should get me into the 155ish HP range once I get it all tuned in,it should be interesting to say the least, I'm excited to find out what another 20 HP is gonna do for my old dog.

It was leaving like this with the old motor setup with the SLP single pipe.

2010826205321935_8010.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
IF u do buy an 03 like said in another post make sure they have the updates done they had some cases were they actually caught on fire on trails, This I thought was very ironic because they were called firecats. lol but they are very fast sleds stock or modded

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I guess they just left some flames down the trail lol, yeah thats the only real problem with that sled for 03 is all the updates it needs. but they are very straightline fast.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Pol700XC said:
Luke said:
zecow224 said:
It just seems fast. I have a 98 xc 700 that has the 220 cylinders on. so far im haveing a little more than trail porting done, wiseco pistons, slp power dome head, v-force reeds, power packs, and dynoport twin pipes with dynoport can. my clutch set up is 66gram weights with a gold spring in the primary and i have a arctic cat secondary with the snopro green arctic cat spring. im going today to pick up a cobra track today with 96 studs down the center belt. My buddy did own a 02 zr 800 but after he found out what i was doing he went and bought a 03 F7. My 700 already tore up his 800 out of the hole with the clutching but now that i have the engine work done hes scared. He told me F7's walk all over his zr all the time so he knows he will have no problem beating my 700.
With your new set up running good and clutched good you won't have to worry about your buds F7. Funny one of my buddy's had an 01 ZR 800, clutched, timing key, and a can, it would beat my stock 98 XC 700 220 sled by a few lengths in a 1000ft run. Then I jetted it, geared it a tad lower, some clutch work and put on a 136in Cobra track and beat him. So the next year he put a ZR 900 engine in it and I put a slp single on and his sled was still couldn't beat mine in a drag race. Now this year he went and bought a 04 or 05 diamond drive F7, it will be fun beating that as well.... I tried some twin pipes on my XC 700 last year and it made the machine an animal compared to the single pipe but wasn't nearly as trail friendly.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I had an 02.5 SnoPro 440 ( Pretty much an 03 firecat with a different chaincase, brakes, a few different braces, and different suspension rails. It also had a 2004 Sabercat 700 EFI motor with some really aggressive clutching. That all mixed with 440 gearing and a 1.7" track and keeping the skis on the ground became a hassle. I had no reason to complain either about the handling of the machine, I did enjoy how it rode overall. Although I would much rather have a Rev, the F series is the best non-rider forward sled.

http://extremefilmsproductions.com/movies/quick_0001.wmv -- Video of that sled in action.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I love my 03. When its running right. prolly one of the fastest cats make for that size. but i have always had a cooling problem with her whenever im on the trails but when ur in some powder and doing some banging there bout as good as it gets for a 7 year old sled.
About some recalls anyone know what they are i hand the steering post. i think i remember thats what it was. anyone know if they ever had a recall on the cooling system because ive been through two engines in my 7 in the past 4 years or so. It only overheats on trails. when the tracks trowing up snow it all good anyone have any ideas. running out of money. DONT TELL ME TO SELL IT

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
ArcticCatKid83 said:
I love my 03. When its running right. prolly one of the fastest cats make for that size. but i have always had a cooling problem with her whenever im on the trails but when ur in some powder and doing some banging there bout as good as it gets for a 7 year old sled.
About some recalls anyone know what they are i hand the steering post. i think i remember thats what it was. anyone know if they ever had a [highlight=red]recall on the cooling system [/highlight=red]because ive been through two engines in my 7 in the past 4 years or so. It only overheats on trails. when the tracks trowing up snow it all good anyone have any ideas. running out of money. DONT TELL ME TO SELL IT
Yeah there was a recall on the cooling system. If I can remember correctly it was just a larger coolant bottle and different thermostat. My F7 has all the updates and it'll overheat on the trails if i'm going under 50-60MPH. One thing I was going to look into was running "Engine Ice" in my cooling system. It's just a fancy coolant that is supposed to stay cooler at warmer temps. I have not tried it and I really cant because it's only rated to run in -30* weather and here it gets a lot colder then that! I know BMP sells a coolant update kit for the F7 for 130 bucks or so. If that does'nt work i'd probably change your coolant out every season which should help a bit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts