Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2003 polaris predator and i cant figure out whats wrong with it. i have the motor pulled from the cahssis and the head cap is removed and i would like some advice how to make it run. i have all the parts and i just need to figure out whats wrong and fix it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ok well there are a few things that you will need to know before I can really help you out in getting the motor running. Now check the basics. Compression, Fuel and spark. Make sure that you are on the TDC of the piston. There will be marks on the magnito side of the crank shaft. Make sure that they are lined up. Now when you have that in place there should be marks on the camshafts. Line those up to the arrows. The marks will be on the gears and the case. Make sure that the gears go on the same way if you took them off. Now there will be a chain tension bolt that you will have to take out before you put the chain back on. You might have to take the chain on and off a couple of time to get it just right to make the timing right. You will not have to worry about if you are on the power stroke or exhaust stroke. Now when you have the tension screw out you will have to screw it in until it is all of the way in and this will be able to bolt it back in. IF YOU DONT DO THIS YOU WILL BREAK OFF THE TABS ON THE SIDE. Now put the tension screw back in and this should have the right timing for you. DONT TURN OVER THE MOTOR WITH THE KICK START OR STARTER! Do this by hand to see if you have the timing right. Nother thing is to make sure that you have the right clearance on the valves. When you have this done your timing should be right. When you are in to this you should take your head off and look at the valves to see if they are clean or not. Since you are really close to them. But it is up to you. Well if you have any question ask. The site that I like to go to for part location if I cant get a manual is http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/alljet/Polaris_OEM/PolarisATV.asp?Type=12&A=317
this will be for your 03. Now they will have most every toy out there. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts