Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 03 Pro X 440 and I'm picking it up tomorrow I was just wondering if there were any common problems with this sled that I should know about. And I have heard you mix the premix at 32:1 but what oil is that with I usually run Amsoil because my dads a dealer and gets it cheap. My buddies all run the "Saber Professional" Amsoil. thats says 100:1 though. Just looking for some input. thanks guys. I'll post pics when I get it home tomorrow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
you can run anywhere from 1:30 - 1:100 but its safer to run 1 30 or somewhere inbetween. i now some1 who ran 1' 130 on axident and it didnt blow up but thats pushing it.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
center bearings had major issues with seizing when trail riden. Oil holes needs to be drilled or for it to be oil injected. Search around hardcoresledder under the 440 forum, tons of stuff about it there. As for oil use interceptor or dominator at 32:1

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
i asked the same question when i got mine ripperd told me its for when you rebuild them and to not touch them unless you rebuild your bottom end.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
no problem and im sure you already no this but when you first get it and start running it check your plugs alot the first few times your ride it and then decide if you need to rejet or not.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it also has 2 line fitings on the back of the case one inline with center crank bearings and one line with the mag crank bearings it has oil injection ran to these but i took that off because Im hoping to snow cross it a bit. what are they for?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
You edited the topic from saying 04 to 03....right??? I'd swear it said 04 before. 03's didn't have the crank issues that 04 did.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it did say 04 but when i went to look at it i found out it was an 03 it just has an XR hood on it. yafrom what I've read on hardcoresledder the 03's were fine with the cranks, adnthe 04's had all the problems. What wasteh cause of the problem, and what was the fix, does anyone know?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
thats funny cuz when i went to buy mine the guy said it was on 04 and sent me pics of it with an 04 hood but i went and it was an 03 with the 03 hood.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Originally posted by xcr_racing
[br]Yes it did say 04 but when i went to look at it i found out it was an 03 it just has an XR hood on it.
I wanna see a pic of that. 03/04 hoods dont just interchange. An 04 would fit if you unriveted the back panels but that massive slot to the right of the tach would be really out of place on an 03.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I would run the Amsoil Dominator in it. Its a high performance oil which should be used for a high performance sled. If I remember right Interceptor did not have a good rating as far as being used with exhaust valves and the Dominator is supposed to be better for them. Unless you honestly know what you're getting into with a 440 race sled, I wouldn't want to get one. If you know what you're doing, are smart mechanically, and don't mind making adjustments for every little temperature change then it would be a great and fun sled to have. Hope everything works out well.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by edgex600rider
[br]I would run the Amsoil Dominator in it. Its a high performance oil which should be used for a high performance sled. If I remember right Interceptor did not have a good rating as far as being used with exhaust valves and the Dominator is supposed to be better for them. Unless you honestly know what you're getting into with a 440 race sled, I wouldn't want to get one. If you know what you're doing, are smart mechanically, and don't mind making adjustments for every little temperature change then it would be a great and fun sled to have. Hope everything works out well.
I dont mind at all doing all the little things I know a lot more about sleds than anyone I ride with, not counting my brother who worked for a dealer for a few years, or his buddy who raced drags adn a little snowcross. I work on motors for a living, my dads owns an engine shop granted thats mostly racecar and streetcar engines, I've also worked on many racecars all my life. my dads brother and I all race stockcars in the summer so for mechanical ability, Im fine. I bought it to race it. Me and my buddy both bought 03 Pro X 440's and are going to try snowcross. he races motorcross on his quad already but him and I have always wanted to try snowscross. thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
^^^ I see know. If your buying to race then thats a great sled. And it sounds like you know what you're doing. Just making sure because I've seen and heard of it too many times where inexperienced snowmobilers want to be cool and get a race sled. Well is what they don't know is that there in for a lot more than what they could dream about. The little 440's are putting out 600 power for a reason, they're that fine tuned, which means more touchy, which means more small and possibly large work to be done pretty often.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by edgex600rider
[br]^^^ I've seen and heard of it too many times where inexperienced snowmobilers want to be cool and get a race sled.
I know what you mean there.

·
Registered
214 Posts
230 jets with amsoil dominator oil at 32:1 good combo... go down 1 tooth on top in the case.... try to get it to engange around 6-6200 (ruffyly a 49-50 weight setup on the primary) i think 03's were a pretty stout year all and all for polaris, good sleds... 05 was the primary problem year... many many mnay updates and part failures...

make sure the dragon button htis second stage if you decide to use it, if it stays ont he first stage youll snap reeds off or fray and sorch them (do not launch off the line with that button!)

have fun!

·
Registered
214 Posts
that grease zerk behind the primary show be lightly greased once a season...(being as its a 03 i best its never been touched) as for peak rpm.. i had 2 peopel tell me there 02 lc 440's twisted 9200 all day... what they did tot he clutch i dont no but your with that weight set up i told you SHOULD twist 8100-500 easy when its hot ( wanna run in your power anyhow so anythign more than 8500 is a waste

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by John_Deere_Polaris_440
[br]

make sure the dragon button htis second stage if you decide to use it, if it stays ont he first stage youll snap reeds off or fray and sorch them (do not launch off the line with that button!)
I dont know to many particulars about the dragon button. what do you mean stages?

Also what kind of grease should you put in there? thanks guys this is a big help.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts