Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey to my amazment over the weekend at the lake my buddy raced a thundercat 900 and a zr 900 stock . His sled is a Pro -x 700 with the airbox modified and a hot seat single pipe with cluth kit front only . He beat the thunder cat by about 6 sleds but he big suprise was the zr 900 it beat him by only one sled and I think it would have been even but the zr took him out of the hole after we shim the secondary it should be even .The pro -x is pretty impressive to give up 200 cc and stay with a zr 900

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
im not suprised the xcr took it, cuz its ment for stright line acceleration. but the new roller clutch in the pro x is SMOOTH

·
Registered
749 Posts
i wasn't surprised the xcr won i was surprised that a 700 pro-x was 1 sled away from a zr 900 when a pro-x 800 wasn't very close to a zr 900.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the pro-x 800 is slower then the pro-x 700 there is a recall on the cdi box it needs to be recalabrated I spoke to the dealer and they said the 700 beats the 800 and the 800 are having a lot off problems . My buddies pro-x 700 has a hot seat pipe and clutch kit with airbox divider removed he has raced a couple 800 after they had the cdi recalabrated and beat them pretty easy. This is one time hte rule no replacment for displacment didn't hold true I would say after his mods his sled is in the 140 hp mark he is installing rad valves this week for out last trip to pittsburg nh it should give it a little more on the bottom

·
Registered
312 Posts
Either that 900 AND thundercat weren't worknig properly or jetted right
Did those 2 cats have STOCK clutches ,,,,,cause if so ,, just about any 700 or 800 with clutch work , pipes,and airbox can hold with those 2 cats.
But i havn't see one 800 pro-x or specially 700 this year come close to a ZR900,, stock that is ,,,,,,of course once you start playing with them ,, that 200CC difference you were talking about don't meen CRAP.
ex. MY 97 t cat has a 2001 ,1000cc engine in it and it had the stock clutch in it and 38mm carbs. I tried racing a XC700 and ZRT800 and thank god for pin studs on my track cause they would of blown by me ,, once top end hit , they caught up to me ,,,,,,,
Once i changed to 39.5mm carbs and jetted properly ,, and replaced both springs (primary and secondary) changed my weights and cams ,,,,,,,,,,,Both of those sleds were at least 5 to 8 lenghts behind be ,, on 660 feet ,, and a 97 t-cat that weights almost 600 lbs isn't made to race the 660 ,, but made for the radars. Just goes to show that once you got the good recepie in there ,, that 200cc difference is made up REALL damn quick

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the t-cat was a 900 and had a 300 pound guy on it that one I can say may have been closer but the zr 900 was stock but had some nice studs about a half inch longer then the pro-xso he had a much better hole shot and it was running perfect .Dont get me wrong my other buddy has a 1000 cc t-cat with engine work dd tripple exhast and a bunch of other goodies who was toying with them both all off them could stay with him out off the hole but once the big t-cat hit mid range he could at will throttle it past them with ease

·
Registered
312 Posts
For sure those smaller polaris machines will hold with em out of the hole cause they weight almost 200lbs less ,, but i'd have to see this one for sure ,,cause i've been to races long enough and have never seen pro x 7 or 800 hold it's own with a t-cat without having to put a shit load of work in the engine ,,,,,,,,,
Still that 900 stock only clutches at 3500 RPM , wich is REAL LOW compared to 4200 on those polaris, plus take the 300 poud guy and a 575lbs sled , ehehh then your looking at something pretty even ,,,,,,,but take your buddies polaris ,, pro-x 800 or 700 what ever you want ,,,,,,,get them both STOCK and slap them beside those 2 cats and see what will happen ,,,,,,i don't know why your so surprises your buddies sled stayed with them ,,,,,,,,,he's not even close to stock, heheh i can make a 550 ext run like a t-cat ,, all depends on what you put in them and how much $$ you got

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont think his mods are that extreme a pipe and clutch kit but yeah your right $$$$$$$ makes the sled go faster but the t-cat 900 was dialed in pretty good and Its not even as close as impressive as the 1000 t-cat

·
Registered
614 Posts
I can believe it, but I think the 700 must have more hp than 128. Was the dyno done before the add ons? In early winter I raced a XC 700(stock I think) and left it way behind with my ZR 900 (862cc) which was out of the box stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts