Snowmobile Fanatics banner

2003 prox 440/700 swap

8K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  crdude 
#1 ·
Well I had an 02 prox 440 and have regretted selling it sence the day I did.

I found an 03 prox 440, had a 600 (not sure if its ves or non ves, will know tomorrow) swapped into it.
The guy says the 600 threw a rod threw the block, and his buddy backed into the sled damaging the tub and hood. He has another tub for it but I will have to get a hood. He wants $600 for the sled so I'm going to look at it tomorrow and see odds are will be taking it home.

my plan is to put a 98 700 engine in it.

Im guessing all I will need is pro x 700 engine straps, pipe/can and to setup a oil tank, then I will have to figure something out for an air box? Im also asuming I will have to use my 700 wiring harness aswell?

am I forgeting anything? anyone have tips?

#2 ·
Well I went and had a look at the sled, soon as I looked over the sled I gave the guy $200 to not sell it to anyone els and will pay him the rest when I get my next check. Turns out the guy is a mechanic at a local aftermarket parts dealer so the sled was sitting at the shop, he had it on a fork lift so I could look the sled over top to bottem.

It is cosmeticly a pos, but the bulkhead and tunnel are intact with no cracks or visible tweaks. only things missing is the engine (which turns out was a VES 600 and I have sitting in a plastic tub in peaces) bar/risers and skis. The hood is busted in the front and so is the tub, they both have very poor paint job done to them. He has another tub which is grey in color that he will throw in and my buddy has a lexan hood I can buy for cheap.

I looked over the 600 cylinders and they look intact, no nicks or scratchs in the bores. I figer I could atlest sell those for around what Im paying for the whole sled OR find a cheap 440 engine and put the 600 topend on it. Took a look on CL and found a 440 that runs for $350 Im going to see if I can talk him down to around $200.

I'f the 440 dosnt go threw I will stick to my plan of stuffing my BB 700 into the sled and sell the 600 parts.

It already has brackets setup and comes with oil/coolent tanks, so I dont have to worry about running into oil tank issues.

And I had to take a picture... threads are worthless without pics! [beatup]

I love projects, its about time I got out of the 90's!

#4 ·
After a while I usually end up getting rid of the sleds, or wrecking them.

Im currently in the process of trading my sks 700 for a vulcan .50 cal sniper rifle, which I will shoot the few .50 cal rounds I have laying around with then sell it to my buddy, who already offerd me $1700 for the gun if I get it. I figure thats a pretty good deal on my part, I doubt I could get $1700 for a 97 sks modded or not.

This will leave me with plenty of $ for cool things to put on this prox.

#5 ·
The guy with the gun seemed kind of sketch so I passed on the deal. Got another guy that wants my sks 700 and will trade his 02 edge x 800 with 3100 miles on it for my sled, took it for a test ride.. isnt running right. it only his 6k rpm. Im going to take a look at it durring the day light and will do a comp. test. if the compression checks out ok Im going to do the trade and rebuild the clutchs.

I should be getting paid any day now so I will be bring the prox hom to start the project soon!

#6 ·
Well I have the sled home now.
Bought a stock pipe w/ MBRP can and Y pipe from a 04 prox2 700. so the exhaust is taken care of now.
Orderd a set of 2003 prox 700 engine straps, they will be here tues/wens next week.

I have the 99+ coolent pump/stator housing that I will be putting on my 98 700 engine.

Put a set of 4" fly risers and fly areo taper 1 1/8 bars on it.
Had the sled registured for 6 years in my name, good to know the vin checked out clean.
still need a new hood, and to put the new tub on.

I have a set of 600 ves cylinders in good cond. for sale, aswell as the racked carbs ect. if anyones interested let me know.

#7 ·
We'll... I looked up the model number, its acually a 2002 prox 600 chassi, looks like I will be making a visit back to DMV to have the registration changed.
It has the 440 shocks, I removed the blue paint from the trailing arms, only to find they are yellow. The scissors are yellow aswell. The stock 02 prox 600 has silver scissors and trailing arms. Im assuming someone had this and swapped the compleat 02 440 front/rear suspension to this 600. Im not sure if the front shocks are 02 440's, they dont have the dual rate springs like my last 02 440 had. Im thinking there 03 shocks or someone swapped the springs.

Also, this has the 2003 prox 440 style steering, with the block between the steering post and the steering hoop.

Are there any difference between the prox 600 and 440 chassi, other then the shocks and having an oil injection setup?

I stripped the sled down and took it to the car wash and cleaned it up, I have the gray tub on the sled now, looks much better! Now I need a nice hood and seat.

#8 ·
Something I thought about last night, am I going to need the prox 700 carb boots to make the carbs work with an air box?

I got a set of skis on the sled now.

#11 ·
zecow224 said:
how much for the carbs?
I was asking $150 for them.

powersledder said:
What you will want to look for is everything out of a ProX 700. Carb boots, airbox/oil res(I think they're combined), wiring harness and pipe.
The 600 wiring harness plugs into the 700 stator plug, if it wont work right I will use a wire harness from one of my old 99 rmk's.
I already have a Y pipe, pipe, and MBRP can from a prox2 700, The sled cam with a oil takn that has the coolent tank all in one, I looked at the stock 600 oil tank and they are different, IDK what this ones off of but it looks as if it will work.
I will worder prox 700 carb boots tomorrow then.

#12 ·
Does anyone know if WPS rail extension are universal? I have a set for a xtra-10 suspension and am wondering if they will work on the prox skid.

#14 ·
Right on good to know, thanks. I guess I will keep it short tracked for now.
I'm just waiting on my engine straps at this point, they should be here today or tomorrow.

do you think my clutch setup will work with this prox? it worked fine when I had this engine in my 97 sks.
10-62 w/ almond spring
SLP dial-a-spring mountain helix 44/34 w/SLP yellow/purple spring 40/95.

#15 ·
Got the engine straps.

Got a hood from a edge XCR 440, so its going to be a sleeper.... sweet.

Stator is all back together. just need some coolent hoses before I can drop the engine in, but Im not going to pay $130 for two hoses... looking for used ones.

#16 ·
I have run into some problems, as I try setting the engine in place, the recoil hits the side of the bulkhead. I'm VERY close to getting the bolts threw the engine straps, probly around 1/8" off.

Also looking like I will have to cut a spot out of the bulkhead for the oil pump, is this normal?

I am NOT liking the fact that I will have to pull the engine to take the recoil off, OR that my recoil will be rubbing on the bulkhead.

#17 ·
A guy on HCS just installed a 700 BB in a 2003 Pro-X 440 chassis, PM him, I'm sure he can shed some light, otherwise, motor mounts will have to be drilled in a new spot, as 440/600 share the same mounts, 700 I'm 99% are different.

#18 ·
jesse500 said:
A guy on HCS just installed a 700 BB in a 2003 Pro-X 440 chassis, PM him, I'm sure he can shed some light, otherwise, motor mounts will have to be drilled in a new spot, as 440/600 share the same mounts, 700 I'm 99% are different.
I'm not using the small block engine straps.

I orderd a set of 03 prox 700 straps but they sent me RMK ones, so I orderd a set for a 04 prox 700 and got the right ones this time around.

I'd go on HCS but the side wont work with my internet, all I get is the banner at the top of there website, nothing els loads.

#20 ·
No, the recoil is hitting the bulkhead. I cant get the front engine mount bolts to go threw the straps. Its gota be less the 1/8" off.

#21 ·
My buddy and I put an 800 into an 02 Pro-X 440. We couldn't get the mounts to line up either so we moved the bolts over after having the original holes weld up. I don't remember how far we moved them but it wasn't much.

#22 ·
Did you mount the straps to the motor, them try to drop the straps into the motor mounts? And the oil injection is hitting the bulkhead. hmm. and it only needs to go over 1/8" to clear the bulkhead and the rivets? in the bulkhead? did you try prying it into place?

did you drill new holes in the bulkhead for the 700 motor straps?

#23 ·
no I did not drill new holes, the prox 600 and 700 bulkheads are the same as each other.

Yes I put the straps on the engine, then tried to drop it into the sled.

The engine itself needs to go less then 1/8" to the exhaust side of the sled and the straps would drop into the mounts. but with the recoil hitting the bulkhead this means it cant go over anymore. see pics and you will see how close it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.