Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[:eek:)]
On the other boards there are a lot of people miffed with there 700-800 prox sleds that they are quick on the trail but have no top end, people are saying there sleds hit 80 real fast than there is nothing after that. or what is making them made is that they are getting spanked by the 02 models.

I deleted the rest of this post because i am sick of trying to have an intelligent conversation but getting slammed by ignorance and people taking things to personally. I have my opinion and knowledge to say things that dont always make us happy, I was commenting on what others said. so shoot me.lol

for those of you who cant read this i did not say anything about the engines, or anyother bashing just the goods and bads with the team clutch.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
To counter what you are blabbing about here, if you want your Pro X to act like an XC buy an XC instead.

The Pro X is advertised as a ditch-banging "straight off the track" snowmobile. Not a "I can go a million MPH" sled.

Now if you are ditch banging at 100 MPH plus, well I'd like to see that. The Pro X IS NOT INTENDED FOR TRAIL SPEED RUNS. Hell, the TRAIL isn't designed for speed runs.

If you want your high speed button clutch-no backshift machines, buy an XC SP. That's what they are intended for.

You are trying to make the Pro X into something it is not. Why? The 700 and 800 XC SP machines have the same engine and same primary clutch as the Pro X.

Anyway, nobody on this board said anything about their Pro X. I love mine, it breaks 100 MPH and there is absolutly no reason to go faster than that on a trail anyway.

The Team clutch does exactly as it's supposed to. You refuse to look beyond speed and that is what annoys me (and others).

If your intentions from a stock machine are high speed, don't buy a "straight off the track" sled.

The Pro X has the high handlebars, the super stiff suspension, the clicker shocks... If it was intended for high speed runs, they would put low bars, and just yer run of the mill shocks.

Oh well, the people that gripe about top end belong on an XC SP, not a Pro X.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Ok, another thing that got to me was the "what works on sno X track doesn't work for consumer"

I'm sorry, my roller clutch works just fine. For all other people who aren't so bloody obsessed with top end speed, they work just fine too. People who use the machine for what it was intended, think it's great. People who are using it for what it's not intended, are the ones complaining.

Would you use an indy car to jump sand dunes? Very doubtful.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Originally posted by madcow
[br][:eek:)]
On the other boards there are a lot of people miffed with there 700-800 prox sleds that they are quick on the trail but have no top end, people are saying there sleds hit 80 real fast than there is nothing after that.

this is where what works on the snocross track doesnt always work for the consumer.
Define "top-end". Some people think 100 mph is fast and others may not.

Your whole post seems to imply that either Polaris engines don't have enough power to go fast, or that the TEAM clutch is a flawed design. I disagree. In fact, it transfers more power to the ground than the button design. There's less binding of components allowing a little extra power to make it to the track. I also recall reading in one AMSNOW or some magazine article that dyno'd a stock sled with and without the TEAM clutch. The TEAM clutch showed a consistent increase in power to the track all across the powerband. I'll see if i can track down that article.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Guys you have to see madcows point. If you're buying a 700 or 800 cc sled, you must want to go pretty dam fast and expect your sled to be just as fast as any other 700 or 800 out there. You can only go so fast on the trails, so who cares if you have a 500, 600, 700 or 800. But when you hit a lake, river or big field, you expect your big cc sled to fly. Clutching is a touchy subject. You have to compromise somewhere, someplace. Roller clutches upshift faster and backshift faster than a button clutch, but like madcow said you may lose some topend performance due to the high spring pressures and helix angles. You can set up any clutch to fit your needs, but you will have to compromise somewhere, someplace. You want to drag from point A to B, backshift fast for trail riding or set up for top end. Take your pick than set it up. But I know what madcow is saying, 'if I just spent some serious cash for a 600, 700 or 800 Pro-X, that sucker better be just as fast as Joe Blows 700 or 800!' Later.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well atleast maydaze can read.lol

i am not obsessed with top end speed, i am saying that these people are a little saddend on the fact that there 700-800 class sleds cant pull over 100. no matter how or where you ride you cant tell me you have never held her open for a little bit to see what she has.

and yes, i agreed that the clutch works where it is supposed to, tight trail or ditch or track.

i said nothing about the engines.

of course the mags dyno will show that the team clutch gained a little hp. would they show that a major advertisers product didnt work. ask price performance about that subject. he had a contest out for any mag to do a dyno shoot out against psi and crank shop and others, the mags told him no because they dont want to make any advertiser look bad even if it is true.

they did a test in snow goer, the sled lost 1 mph in top end, it gained one or two tenths of a second in quickness. for 300 bucks you can buy a quarter of a second faster time. you ride the trails for trophys? or money? for 300 bucksyou could get an epi kit with a couple extra parts that would gain you an easy 3-5 mph on top and a good few seconds quicker.
ps. I am sooo sorry I annoy everyone, even when it comes to common sense of bang for buck.lol

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Yes, but he has to see the point that the Pro X isn't designed for what he's complaining about. Also, I don't know what he's talking about because all the Pro X's around here beat XC's of equal engine size.

If you get a looser spring and different angle helixes for the team roller clutch, it will give you your top end (Probably like 1 or 2 all-important MPH) back. Of course captain madcow didn't mention that.

Roller clutches are better. Period. Less friction = smoother operation = better shifting.

He probably doesn't have one so maybe that's why he's complaining. Or he just wants to think he's smarter than everyone. Whatever.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am saying what others are complaining about there sleds. I did not say it was my sled. yes if you dropped the spring rates and changed helix you could get some of the other things back that you gave up to gain backshift. but these guys want there cake and eat it to. dont take every thing so personal. I didnt even mention the 600 that you have because i knew you would take this to heart.
roller clutchs are smoother, but, in upshift a roller clutch in general will stop upshift and start a backshift, where the button clutch will stop the upshift and hold position untill it can upshift again.

dont even start your crap about me trying to prove something. i will just edit the original post, it seems everytime some one has facts of something you dont agree with you get all out of shape.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Yer always posting crap. All you ever talk about is speed speed and more speed. There are other aspects to the sport you know.

Speed is alright, it's a rush or whatever, but you say these clutches are causing top end loss. But they still go 110 or faster.

That's not fast enough?

You were yappin about trail use. Never said anything about drag racing or lakes.

If you want your 10000000000 mph lake machine, buy a big CC triple. If you want your ditch banging torquy sled, buy a Pro X. If you want your in the middle, trail/lake machine. Buy an XC SP.

Then you don't have to gripe about anything.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
I saw it coming 10 miles away when I logged in and saw it. Cuz I know this guy never has anything good to say about anything, except triples and button clutches I guess.

Plus everyone knows I own one of these machines, with one of those clutches, and I'm gonna defend what I have. He says "after spending that kind of $ you should be able to..." Well I should be able to defend it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
What I got from madcows original post: (before he edited it)

1. People who bought a ProX for a drag sled are miffed.

2. ProX's are not drag sleds.

3. ProX's are great snoX sleds.

4. What works on the snowcross track doesn't always work for the consumer. (misinformed consumer thinks he is getting an 800 SnowX sled that spanks XCR's, T-cats & MachZ's)

5. He then states the good attributes of the Team clutch, which makes it very good for what it is intended to do, SNOWX.

6. He then gives some helpful info if you do want to get higher topend.

7. He then tells all of the drag racers w/ ProX's and team clutch, to go faster to go with the proven top end button secondary.

8. And for the people who are b!tch#n about their ProX's not being lake racers, to just be happy, he told them last year.

What I got from P-mans post.

1. If you want a lake racer don't buy a ProX, Where I think P-man and madcow agree!

2. ProX is not a topspeed sled. P-man and madcow agree again.

3. Don't bash my ProX!

4. Don't bash my ProX!

5. Don't bash my ProX!

6. Madcow and P-man disagree?

Go figure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After just getting finished riding 250 miles on my 03 Pro X 600 I will agree with what P-man says the Pro X is the best Agressive Trail machine on the snow right now bar none. It is by no means a lake sled, mine will get right after it up to 100 fine but it struggles to get much past that. But on the trails, where it was designed to be used, it is untouchable. You don't think, "Hmmm....this bump is gonna hurt", like I did on my 02' ZR, you just lay on the throttle and go! As far as the TEAM secondary, I think it is a must have upgrade for any sled. I wasn't sure if I would really notice it, but when you jump from trail to powder the engine just keeps its RPM's, no high rise no drop off. It transfers power smooth and consistant just like the ads for it truthfully say. I have never been as happy with a sled as I am with this Pro X even if I can't go 120 mph like my 97' ZRT could.[8D]

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Originally posted by j-2-800
[br]What I got from madcows post:

1. People who bought a ProX for a drag sled are miffed.

2. ProX's are not drag sleds.

3. ProX's are great snoX sleds.

4. What works on the snowcross track doesn't always work for the consumer. (misinformed consumer thinks he is getting an 800 SnowX sled that spanks XCR's, T-cats & MachZ's)

5. He then states the good attributes of the Team clutch, which makes it very good for what it is intended to do, SNOWX.

6. He then gives some helpful info if you do want to get higher topend.

7. He then tells all of the drag racers w/ ProX's and team clutch, to go faster to go with the proven top end button secondary.

8. And for the people who are b!tch#n about their ProX's not being lake racers, to just be happy, he told them last year.

What I got from P-mans post.

1. If you want a lake racer don't buy a ProX, Where I think P-man and madcow agree!

2. ProX is not a topspeed sled. P-man and madcow agree again.

3. Don't bash my ProX!

4. Don't bash my ProX!

5. Don't bash my ProX!

6. Madcow and P-man disagree?

Go figure.
ROFLMFAO

Put in perspective.

Thanks man. I loved that.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
we have all seen your guys's points in every single thread madcow starts, madcow wants every lil MPH out of a sled he can get, Pman wants to get going that 60mph, and he wants to get goin 60 fast, by the time hes goin 60, its time to slow down and again then hammer on it again. that is exactly how i ride, if my sled can go 110, great, if it cant, oh well, at least it gets up to 60 fast, thas all i care bout...

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
I found this pic on my HD

[}:)] The clutch from hell [}:)]

/polarisman/../images/users/Polaris-Man/rollerclutch.jpg

[:D]

I couldn't resist...

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i-2-800 says it best, i am not bashing the pro x sled as a hole, this was there complaint not mine. i just find it funny thats all. yes i do like new stuff, if i had to buy a slrd right now it would be a rev without any doubt. sat on one and was the best tall person sled i have ever sat on.

·
Registered
749 Posts
You guys are complaining about speed try driving my piece of junk 488. It'l hit 85mph in about 20 minutes on a 30 miles stretch. I wouldn't mind having a pro-x.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts