Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 2003 YAMAHA RX1-ER with 500 miles for about $4600. I don't know anything about yamaha's...how reliable is this sled and is it a good sled? Is this a good deal? I want something reliable.

·
Registered
249 Posts
To be honest, neither do I [:D]
I do know that with some fixing and performance parts ( such like Garret or supercharger) it's extremely fast sled. Quite heavy but good for lake racing or watercross speed records...

And what comes to reliability, didn't have any probs with rx-1 during season 2004. Didn't have to replace even spark plugs. Not too bad for sled punished with turbo and used only in races.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Man where do you guys live that you dont know about Rx-1s? The 03 was a great sled but had its faults.. It is heavy feeling because it only had a 10mm swaybar.. but in 04 they upgraded to 11mm swaybars and longer sway bar links.. The 04s have a better seat and is slightly lighter! The 05 Rx has one of the best rear suspensions on the planet.. the MONO SHOCK! If you buy the 03 Rx-1 PLEASE buy the upgraded swaybar and links.. Get them from:WWWPIONEERMOTORSPORTS.ORG

As far as reliablity goes.. IT CANT BE BEAT...ive seen these engines go over 10,000 miles without so much as a tune up! and it will get 15-18mpg all day long and run with all the big bore sleds!

Have any other questions?? You can email me.. [email protected] or go to TOTALLYAMAHA.COM under for strokes!

·
Registered
982 Posts
A guy had one on our trip last year, I took it for a little rip. He had the 1000cc, a lot of torque; almost to much at lower RPMs IMO. I had a hard time turning it at slow speeds because the engine made sooo much torque it always wanted to pull the skiies off the ground. Like I said, I only took it for a little ride so you probably take my opinions lightly. When I went to turn it felt to tippy but it may have had the smaller sway bar and the owner said it felt less tippy when he took the saddle bags off. This was my little experienc, nice sled though. When you ride it you can tell it REALY wants to go fast, could possibly define it as a muscle sled.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
'03 Rx-1 was right around 640lbs.
go on www.totallyamaha.com and check posts.
I hear some people are having prioblems with oil burning after 5000 miles.
Also they won't run with the big bore sleds........
if they did they wouldn't be running in the 600cc class of drags.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
From what I READ the rx-1 couldn't keep up with the new big bor machines but the new apex can. I personally might go and buy an apex this weekend. But i would stay way clear of the rx-1 unless all you do is trail riding, touring. The Rx-1 has 136hp and the apex has 150 and a whole lot lighter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You guys are WRONG... yes the RX races in the smaller CC two stroke classes but those classes are setup HP VS. HP not CCs vS CCs! and the weight of the sled actually forces it into a smaller class!

Ive raced MANY F7s and F6s and ZR800s and it smoked them all so dont tell my a RX wont run with the big bore sleds! it is a big bore sled.. Out of the box the the 03 Rx wasnt much of a performer more due to the fact it had a 1 inch track and couldnt hook up, but the 04-06 sleds all have 1 1/4 ripsaw tracks and hook and move! I spend most of my time on Tottallyamaha and have almost 3000 posts on there... With a little clutching the Rx is almost unbeatable..EXCEPT to the MACH Z!

MY 2004 Rx warrior wich is a 136 track was 608lbs dry.. the 03 rx was like 585lbs... The 04 was 580 and the 05 was 570, and the new 06 is 553 lbs!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Before we lightened our rx1 up alot with our front end kits, Right when we got it, we threw it on our scale at work and it weighed 609 pounds dry. The rx1 is fast however, It can not keep up with the srx 700's 00-02. OF coarse there are very few, if any 700 that will keep up with the srx. The rx1 is very fast though, don't get me wrong and I would believe stock it would beat all of the sleds you listed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking at a 2003 YAMAHA RX1-ER with 500 miles for about $4600. I don't know anything about yamaha's...how reliable is this sled and is it a good sled? Is this a good deal? I want something reliable.
it may eat bit of oil there is bit of space in the engine bay for a small oil bottle but it is a great sled

1 - 14 of 14 Posts