Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone could possibly think of the top of your head what would be wrong with my bike, I've heard countershaft or transmission, but maybe someone has had a related experience before.

2004 Honda CRF 450, was in 5th gear flyin along through the trail, back tire locks right up and bike shuts off after about a 70 foot skid. Can't get it out of 5th gear and when I roll the bike it makes a grinding noise from the bottom end. I have taken the top end off, still looks brand new and theres a crosshatch in the cylinder, etc, but I am just pretty much at the point where I am going to have to split the case. Anyone heard or experienced this kind of problem before, and know what is wrong? Thanks. [8D]

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
From what I've read about those, they have a problem with gears seizing to the shaft. This is from lack of lubrication at extended WOT runs. As far as I know, honda won't admit the problem because the bike was not being used as it was designed for.

I have the article around here somewhere. If I can find it, I can tell you more.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The author of the article stats: The manual is wrong about the correct amount of transmission oil. The check screw is not accurate either. Thus the upper set of gears does not get adequate lubrication on long stretches of heavy throttle.

It goes on to say that honda isn't doing anything about it and blaming it on abuse/lack of maintenance.
This is what I've read, whether it's true or not, I don't know.
By the sounds of it "grinding", You may have simply exploded the tranny.
On a side note, How is a 450 compared to a 250 2-stroke? I've never got a chance to compare the two. We all still live the 2-stroke lifestyle around here.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks butcherboy for the article, makes sense to me.
Anyways I just had a 2000 KX 250, it had power and all but I like my new 04 CRF alot more, the power is very smooth and the way the traction gets to the ground is wicked. It just wants to pull and pull, if you are experienced on bikes a 450 is definately the way to go, and I back up Honda all the way in choice, even though I loved Kawi.
Suspension wise, I have Enzo Racing forks front to back but even stock it was nice, bike feels comfortable in the air, feels a bit heavier than the 2 stroke but in the end it all soaks up. Has a good center of gravity and just wants to pull and pull. Any other questions just ask away. Thanks alot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts