Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finaly found out what sled i want for good this time. a 2005 polaris fusioin 900. i heard theres problems with these. i would like it in this body style in black. not sure on how many years they made this body? but just wondering on the specs and or the flaws with this machine. i will be keeping this one for a long time.id guess the hp would be around 150 or so..

·
Registered
654 Posts
there is a good 50+ page thred on fusions looki it up under polaris fourn all your answer in there most of them, good luck woth the sled i have the same and love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
the Fusion body style was only made in 2005 and 2006. The black one you are referring to is a 2005. I believe the black one was snow check only, so it is pretty rare. The 2005 red 900 was the standard model; it was also offered with blue/silver 50th anniversary edition color scheme.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Not tryin to say anything bad about people that own these but it's beyond me how anyone would KNOWINGLY buy a sled that had over a dozen recalls. I mean really? There is a reason they quit makin these things and it wasn't cause they were reliable. I'd think long and hard before buyin one, especially if this is gonna be your baby for as long as you say.

·
Registered
584 Posts
They are a good sled once the recalls are done and a few other parts are added...but its not one of those sleds that you would want to get your mind set on unless you find a really good deal on one which i do see pretty often. If you want a big bore look into a 700 or 800 and not the fusion 700 because it had similar problems as the 900. The fusion 600 was a great sled with little problems but im not sure if you want a 600.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
The biggest problem with these machines is belts on multiple levels.

1. They can't get rid of heat from the clutch side thanks to the air box. This can be changed with adding a vent system, preferably an SLP Hot Air Elimination kit. Hot clutches means belts wearing FAST. It can also result in a belt blowing up. If a belt blows up on this, it could go through the airbox and get sucked into the motor. Also, if one blows up it could blow out the coolant line directly under the secondary clutch causing a coolant leak. Or even worse, it could do both at once.

2. Remember that bulky airbox I was just talking about. Well, it sucks in all the little pieces of belt dust that come off. Belt dust and 2-stroke engines ( or any engine for that matter ) dont go happily together. Timbersled makes an air intake system thats right around $250 ( last time I checked ) which will allow the sled to suck in colder air, and no belt dust, as well as let the clutches get more cold air.

3. Throttle body boots are also another problem with these sleds. If they rip, and they will, it will result in engine loss fast. If you see any signs of wear, spend the money to buy new ones, or you'll be buying new ones and a new motor ( which FYI, these motors cost more than the machine itself ).

4. Some had stator issues. My dad had one that the stator caused an electrical fire on prior to him getting it. As far as I know, there is no known fix yet.

5. The recoil bolts MUST have loctite on them.

6. If you plan on jumping this sled, you will need different motor mounts. The stock ones are a little too weak for the motor they are supporting.

I can keep going, but these are just some of the major things. They are very fun sleds to ride nonetheless once they're set up correctly. If I had tons and tons of money and time to throw at a sled, I'd be on an 06' Fusion 900. And I mean A LOT of money.

·
Registered
654 Posts
sledneck1978 said:
Not tryin to say anything bad about people that own these but it's beyond me how anyone would KNOWINGLY buy a sled that had over a dozen recalls. I mean really? There is a reason they quit makin these things and it wasn't cause they were reliable. I'd think long and hard before buyin one, especially if this is gonna be your baby for as long as you say.
[/

most sled snow a days have a recall or two, granted fusion has more than other but once they are all done it is a great sled. on hsc there is a pole of people that own or have own "not just so read that fusion thread will help alot.i belive there are a few problems with the rush? just what i have seen on here and other fourms

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
900modman said:
sledneck1978 said:
[/

most sled snow a days have a recall or two, granted fusion has more than other but once they are all done it is a great sled. on hsc there is a pole of people that own or have own "not just so read that fusion thread will help alot.i belive there are a few problems with the rush? just what i have seen on here and other fourms
I've owned one Fusion, and ridden a couple others. I also logged over 100 miles on my dads 06. Once they have their recalls done, they are a Fusion 900 still. The recalls were problems, but they did not take care of all of them.

Im not a fan of the rush in any way, but I will stick up for it here and say that any machine thats out on its first year will have its fair share of problems. Most people will stray away from a machine that has over 12 recalls, and over 15 other known problems.

Safety Recalls – Covered Under Warranty
* S-04-03A Fuel Line Clamp Installation (3) 7081256
* S-04-05 Fusion Drive Shaft Replacement 2202954
* S-05-03 Handlebar Wiring Harness Routing 2203073
* S-05-08 Spindle Inspection/ Replacement 2203123
* S-05-09 IQ Fuel System Update 2203097
* S-05-12 Fuel Filler Neck Update/Replace 2203178 (all 05 900's)

Service Bulletins – Covered Under Warranty
* S-04-04 Fusion Shock Rod Replacement 2202953
* S-04-07 Oil Hose Fastening Procedure 4010589
* S-04-08 ECU Reflash Procedure
* S-05-01 RMK Heat Shield Kit
* S-05-02 RMK Side Panel Vent Kit
* S-05-04 RMK / Switchback Headlight Seal
* S-05-05 Engine Mount Update Kit *Registered* 2203074
* S-05-06 Torque Stop Update Kit *Not Registered* 2203079
* S-05-11 High Performance Belt pn 3211111

Team Tips – Not Covered Under Warranty
* S-04-10-02 IQ Cooler Protection Kit 2874687
* S-04-10-10 900 Drive Clutch Install: Ream, 96 ftlb, run, retorque to 96 ftlb
* S-04-11-02 Fusion Track Tension s/be 7/8 to 1 1/8" @ 10 lb.
* S-04-11-04 Head O-Ring Replacement
* S-04-11-11 Torque Stop Adjustment .010- .030"
* S 05-01-03 Erratic Fuel Gauge Readings
* S-05-02-02 Exhaust Temp Probe Spec/Test
* S-05-02-03 Installing Heavy Torsion Spring on Fusion
* S-05-02-06 Rear Track Shock Top Mount Loose
* S-05-03-03 Air Intake Boot Seal Replacement 5412761
* S-05-03-04 Series 11 Drive Clutch Weights
* S-05-09-02 Engine Cylinder Bolt Washer (8) 7556234

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
The fusion was a radical design change, and bound to have bugs worked out, and they were. But not till the sleds got the reputation destroyed.

With all the updates done, and some minor additional tweaks, they can be decent sleds, but they ain't my cup of tea.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
The fusion was a radical design change, and bound to have bugs worked out, and they were. But not till the sleds got the reputation destroyed.

With all the updates done, and some minor additional tweaks, they can be decent sleds, but they ain't my cup of tea.
Very well said.

I recommend that you, 95mach1670, read through that entire fusion thread. When I was looking for a sled last year I considered a fusion and after reading through that thread, I found it useful, and broadened my search. I went ended up with my current sled, and have essentially no regrets.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bames said:
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:

Very well said.

I recommend that you, 95mach1670, read through that entire fusion thread. When I was looking for a sled last year I considered a fusion and after reading through that thread, I found it useful, and broadened my search. I went ended up with my current sled, and have essentially no regrets.
ok, how about a 2005 yamaha apex gt? it won sled of the year in 05 i beleave...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts