Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[?]Did I almost get scammed? Does anyone know what the compression should be on a 2005 Polaris Indy 500 (488 fuji)? I was going to trade my quad (2001 Honda Foreman 450 ES great condition) for one . When I did the compression test after letting it first idle for about 1 minute. I was really easy to pull the cord and it started right away. I checked right away to see if the engine was already hoy (maybe they fired her up just before we met) but it was cold. I didn't sound very mean at all. I just idled quietely and was consistent but sounded kind of like it was tired.
I took only 1 spark plug out and left the other one with the spark plug wire stil on it. I made sure the key was off. I had the guy hold the throttle wide open and pull it 5 times. Each side read exactly the same when I swithched , they read 115 lbs. I warmed it up and took it for a few rips on the grass field (summer) and then tried it again. This time they both read 105lbs. I found it to be too big of a difference (about 9%) so I said the deal was off. When we first started it up and the guy held up the back end off the ground , I reved it a few times and the track was spinning and when I hit the brakes lightly a couple of times to slow down the track down quicker, the cluch would not go back in and it stalled. Theh guy said it was because it was sitting for 4 months and he should have put some lubricant on the rod (shaft). I sprayed some (temporary fix) WD-40 on the shaft and it worked good now. I took it for a rip on the grass and it had some pick up to it but not as much as I thought it would. I mean isn't this thing supposed to have 88 hp stock? (everything is still stock by the way) I think it should of shot out like a bat out of hell and did a crazy wheely for at least 50 feet. The motor looked kind of shabby to me also. I didn't know what to look for to see if the motor was the original or not.He said it was but I don't know. It looked pretty crappy for a 2005 engine (but what do I know).

The vin on the frame was the right one (10th digit was a 5). Also when I took the plus off they were full of oil. He said he didn't know why. If hewas smart he would of said he put it in the top of the head for summer storage but he didn't. So I kind of wonder if him and his little buddy put oil in there to bring up the compression. Also they wern't asking too many questions about the quad wich was kind of weird. It's as if they were just hopping to dump it (the sled), grap the quad and high tail it out of there. The sled was in very good shape though.

I will post some pictures and would appriciate any help from you pros out there and could someone please tell me if the engine looks like the 2005 indy 500 or do you think they swaped it out with an older one. There are so many 488 fujis out there I have no idea what to look for. Also does anyone know what the compression should be on this 2005 488 fuji indy 500 engine? The sled has 4400 MILES on it and the guy who owns it is masive (6 foot 5 265lbs). Any help would sure be appreciated. Did I do the compression test properly? Some people say you need to take all spark plugs out. How the heck would that even work like that? Thanks folks I sure could use some help here.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
you could always tear it down over summer and put some new rings in to bring it up and make sure its good for next year. because its pretty cheap and easy

hopefully your happy with it
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mxz440kid said:
you could always tear it down over summer and put some new rings in to bring it up and make sure its good for next year. because its pretty cheap and easy

hopefully your happy with it
I didn't trade! I'm trying to upload some pictures of the engine. I don't think it's a 2005 engine.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
trextr said:
[?]Did I almost get scammed? Does anyone know what the compression should be on a 2005 Polaris Indy 500 (488 fuji)? I was going to trade my quad (2001 Honda Foreman 450 ES great condition) for one . When I did the compression test after letting it first idle for about 1 minute. I was really easy to pull the cord and it started right away. I checked right away to see if the engine was already hoy (maybe they fired her up just before we met) but it was cold. I didn't sound very mean at all. I just idled quietely and was consistent but sounded kind of like it was tired.
I took only 1 spark plug out and left the other one with the spark plug wire stil on it. I made sure the key was off. I had the guy hold the throttle wide open and pull it 5 times. Each side read exactly the same when I swithched , they read 115 lbs. I warmed it up and took it for a few rips on the grass field (summer) and then tried it again. This time they both read 105lbs. I found it to be too big of a difference (about 9%) so I said the deal was off. When we first started it up and the guy held up the back end off the ground , I reved it a few times and the track was spinning and when I hit the brakes lightly a couple of times to slow down the track down quicker, the cluch would not go back in and it stalled. Theh guy said it was because it was sitting for 4 months and he should have put some lubricant on the rod (shaft). I sprayed some (temporary fix) WD-40 on the shaft and it worked good now. I took it for a rip on the grass and it had some pick up to it but not as much as I thought it would. I mean isn't this thing supposed to have 88 hp stock? (everything is still stock by the way) I think it should of shot out like a bat out of hell and did a crazy wheely for at least 50 feet. The motor looked kind of shabby to me also. I didn't know what to look for to see if the motor was the original or not.He said it was but I don't know. It looked pretty crappy for a 2005 engine (but what do I know).

The vin on the frame was the right one (10th digit was a 5). Also when I took the plus off they were full of oil. He said he didn't know why. If hewas smart he would of said he put it in the top of the head for summer storage but he didn't. So I kind of wonder if him and his little buddy put oil in there to bring up the compression. Also they wern't asking too many questions about the quad wich was kind of weird. It's as if they were just hopping to dump it (the sled), grap the quad and high tail it out of there. The sled was in very good shape though.

I will post some pictures and would appriciate any help from you pros out there and could someone please tell me if the engine looks like the 2005 indy 500 or do you think they swaped it out with an older one. There are so many 488 fujis out there I have no idea what to look for. Also does anyone know what the compression should be on this 2005 488 fuji indy 500 engine? The sled has 4400 MILES on it and the guy who owns it is masive (6 foot 5 265lbs). Any help would sure be appreciated. Did I do the compression test properly? Some people say you need to take all spark plugs out. How the heck would that even work like that? Thanks folks I sure could use some help here.
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Family car

Vehicle Auto part Car Engine City car

Land vehicle Vehicle Snowmobile Sled Grass

Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Grass Automotive exterior Motorcycle

Land vehicle Vehicle Snowmobile Sled Motorsport

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Grass
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,738 Posts
1.) This is why I think trading is just people ripping other people off. If ya wanna get a snowmobile, sell the quad and use that money to buy a sled. These are multi-thousand dollar recreation vehicles, not baseball cards.
2.) It is the edge chassis Indy 500 motor. (2001+). pretty sure they remained unchanged after that.
3.) compression should be at least 120psi for a strong motor.
4.) all sparks plugs need to be out for compression testing.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,826 Posts
my old 04 500 was a liberty, it said that on the head, but the oddest thing for me on that motor is no power valves?! that leads me to believe its a pre 2001 (edge) motor.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[Disappointed]So the way I did the compression test was wrong? Do you think if I had taken both spark plugs out, the compression would have been much lower or much higher?
Any one else have any comments on this sled? Is this not the original motor (2005 indy 500) and do you think the way I did the compression test(wrong way) would have given a higher or lower compression reading. Beware. This sled is from Owen Sound, Ontario Anymore comments? Thanks
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,405 Posts
Dragon700 said:
im not the compression expert here. talk to ugly_old_poo_kid, he knows his stuff. im just saying that isnt the original motor.
no it very well could be, i believe the edge chassis name came with the VES not the classic INDY, again as stated ask ugly_old_poo_kid, or call a local dealer, tel them what you have and they will know for sure, 105 seems a tad low, it might be time for a refresher, which doesn't cost very much and a sled like that.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,738 Posts
Dragon700 said:
i will do some searching, i know the 05 500's had a fuji, but im pretty sure theyre PVed
correct to part A but false to the second part.
Polaris made Edge Chassis Fuji 500 from 2001-2006. None of them had VES- they are fuji motors not Liberty. (only VES Fuji's were the 1999 XCR 700/800 and 2000-2003 XCR)
They were somewhat the same as the 1990s fuji 500s, but the cylinders and cranks have different part numbers between the two eras. Im guessing the newer fuji's got bigger bearings and more aggressive porting.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,240 Posts
Couple things to think about, and I'm just trying to be helpful here: if the clutch wouldn't go back in then that's probably one of many possible reasons why it didn't go "like a bat out of hell and did a crazy wheely for at least 50 feet."

Another thing, the engine is a Fuji 500 engine even if it looks "crappy" (hell, my '03 Indy 500 looks something like that), as for what the year of the motor has to do with a compression test results I don't understand why you're asking this. If it is the original engine it's 5 years old, maybe it's time for a top end rebuild; that should bring the compression up. I guess I just don't see why anyone would go through all the trouble of ripping out the stock engine and putting another model year engine in there that runs and say it's the stock engine, just seems like too much work to me. I say if it runs and you're concerned about the compression, just do a top-end rebuild.

Aside from that it looks okay, but I'm just going from the pix you posted. If it was me, I'd go ahead with the trade, but I'm biased and really like those Fuji engines and wouldn't mind another newer Indy 500.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
scumpman said:
Couple things to think about, and I'm just trying to be helpful here: if the clutch wouldn't go back in then that's probably one of many possible reasons why it didn't go "like a bat out of hell and did a crazy wheely for at least 50 feet."

Another thing, the engine is a Fuji 500 engine even if it looks "crappy" (hell, my '03 Indy 500 looks something like that), as for what the year of the motor has to do with a compression test results I don't understand why you're asking this. If it is the original engine it's 5 years old, maybe it's time for a top end rebuild; that should bring the compression up. I guess I just don't see why anyone would go through all the trouble of ripping out the stock engine and putting another model year engine in there that runs and say it's the stock engine, just seems like too much work to me. I say if it runs and you're concerned about the compression, just do a top-end rebuild.

Aside from that it looks okay, but I'm just going from the pix you posted. If it was me, I'd go ahead with the trade, but I'm biased and really like those Fuji engines and wouldn't mind another newer Indy 500.

My quad is in great shape and turn key ready to ride. It doesen't need top end work etc.... That's why I didn't make the trade. Why would I trade something great for a junky engine? Who knows why the compression is low. Maybe there's bottom end problems as well etc... I just wanted to know what the compression is supposed to be on a 2005 indy 500 488 fuji engine that's all. Not so hard to understand is it? Thanks for your opinion. I just couldn't chance it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dragon700 said:
well there i learned something today. my buddy has and 05 500 i am going to look at his clooser now! its the indy though. sorry for the misinfo
Did you get a chance to look at your buddy's 2005 Indy 500 closer and does it look exactly like the on in the pictures I posted? Do you think the engine in the picture is the actual 2005 indy 500 engine? Same as your friends?[8)] Thanks
 

· Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
U didnt do the comprression check correctly. take both plugs out so the motor can turn over as quickly as possible and give you a accurate reading! If you know anything bout 2 vs 4 strokes, then you know that you replace rings way more often on 2 strokes. That engine is raw alluminum, not painted or polished. Thats a very clean looking engine and compartment. Do you have much experiance in snowmobiling? You arent gettn new here, you are trading used for used. How do we know you dont have a "clean" turd your trading off. See what i mean. Before you spout off something isnt anygood or someone is unethical, you ought to have done your homework. Fuji 500 twins are a very good reliable motor and well loved by there owners.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BrianLee said:
U didnt do the comprression check correctly. take both plugs out so the motor can turn over as quickly as possible and give you a accurate reading! If you know anything bout 2 vs 4 strokes, then you know that you replace rings way more often on 2 strokes. That engine is raw alluminum, not painted or polished. Thats a very clean looking engine and compartment. Do you have much experiance in snowmobiling? You arent gettn new here, you are trading used for used. How do we know you dont have a "clean" turd your trading off. See what i mean. Before you spout off something isnt anygood or someone is unethical, you ought to have done your homework. Fuji 500 twins are a very good reliable motor and well loved by there owners.
Wow! Didn't mean to hit a nerve. Why are you taking it so personally anyway? Seems kind childish to make a remark like that. Doesn't matter anyway because the difference between cold and hot was 10 lbs which in either case signifies it needs new rings and maybe even new pistons

I tried a compression test on my old sled this evening. Tested one cylinder with one plug in other side, cranked 4 times (throttle wide open) and it read 105lbs max, tried other side same way and it read 105lbs max. Took out both plugs and tested one cylinder at a time, pulled 4 times (throttle wide open) and it read 105 lbs max on both sides. Seems like it doesn't matter which way you do it.

I will still do it the way everyone recommends. Start engine, warm up for 1 minute. Take All spark plugs out, throttle wide open, pull 4 or 5 times as fast as you can until the gauge will not go any higher. Re start sled, let it warm, take it for a rid. Open cab and do the same thing again. See if there is a difference in compression readings. If there is 10% difference in reading then you need some top end work done on it. So I've read.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
916 Posts
looks like a good sled to me the compression could be low since its older
the motor doesnt look good? looks pretty clean in the pics?
And its got a fuji an extremly reliable motor but not known for being super fast its nnot going to lift the skies fore 50 feet
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top