Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Polaris Edge 550 that I purchased new about 10 years ago with less than 500 miles on it. I know I don’t run it much, and when I do it seems to run great. My concern is that it does not seem to use any/much oil from the 2 cycle oil tank. When I first start the engine it smokes quite a bit (which I think would indicate it is getting oil) but the oil tank just doesn’t seem to go down. I am using the Polaris synthetic oil recommended by the dealer when I purchased the sled. Without having to trailer the sled off to the Polaris dealer is there any way I can tell if it is getting suffucient oil to the engine? The sled is in otherwise like new condition - I’d sure hate to burn up the engine cause its not getting enough oil.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
So am I understanding this correctly.....the sled only has 500 miles on it? Have you put oil in it at all, topped off the reservoir? That sled should sip oil. If the plugs are a nice tan/brown color I would think you are ok. Maybe mark the reservoir, put some miles on and check it again.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your answer. As you surely can tell from my question “I am a snowmobile novice”. Yep - I have had the sled for probably 8 or 9 years. Bought it new and just haven’t put miles on it. Had it fully serviced one time at the Polaris dealer about 5 years ago, and have not run it for the past two years. I have added oil to it in the past to bring it up to the “full line” but very little. Drained the old gas from it last weekend filled it with new gas, sprayed a little starting fluid in the air box, and with a few pulls it started right up. Don’t remember when I last added oil but the tank was very close to full. Drove it about 10 miles or so and it ran and sounded fine. As you might expect the sled is in mint condition. I just want to make sure it is getting the oil it needs so I don’t end up blowing the engine on an otherwise good sled. Do you have a feel for how much oil should be using - say running the sled 20 miles or so? Also wonder if that Polaris Synthetic oil “gums up” after years? There has to be some of the same oil in that sled’s tank that was first put it when I purchased the sled.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I would think the oil would be fine so long as it doesn't change temps drastically and condensate. I don't really know how much oil would be consumed in 20 miles but not much. Maybe a quarter of a quart....or a few ounces.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for your thoughts. I’ll keep an eye on it to make sure it is using some. If I can’t assure myself its OK I trailer it to the dealer. Hate to do that though - I’m guessing a couple hundred bucks just to walk through the door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts