Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...

I have my rear suspension totally torn apart. I ordered new parts to replace anything I noticed showing any wear.

So my question is...

Any tips on setting it up correctly? Since I have it apart is there anything I should do before I start putting it back together?

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
new slides while your at it, even if you have SOME miles on ur current ones while its out its the best then ur ready for a longer time next season, also make sure your shocks are in good condtion, check idler/bougi wheels are good along with the bearings, also just make sure there are no cracks or major structural problems anywhere.. anyone got anything else?

·
Registered
718 Posts
remember to grease the zerks. and check your track tension. spring settings the rrss (?) blocks. look for any cracks. if your torsion arms are worn, replace them. revalve/rebuild shocks. aah change your limiter straps if worn. that's all i could think of, seems you have it covered.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I got new red slides! Went through all the bogie wheels and bearings look and feel good. Got all the shafts polished up and everything is cleaned. Ill make sure to grease everything up good when re assembling.

Just waiting on my parts order to arrive! Sled only has 1900 miles so nothing was worn too bad...

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
-Poweder coat the rails flat black, and the arms Indy red, switch out all wheels with billet or all black wheels. ADD a 4th wheel (clutch side on back shaft)WILL save your day/ride sooner or later, when that clutch side rear wheel blows off (it will happen) the inner wheel keeps the track rolling straight.

-While the rear suspention is out, put some tunnel protectors in the tunnel.

-Even though you think the bearings are good, and spin without a 'sandy' noise, did you put alot of force on the bearings, and them turn them? Your outcome may change.

-Even if your bearings are good, bearing ars cheap, a fresh set of good bearing CANNOT hurt, reduces rotating resistance, makes you feel better knowing theyre all new, easier on the shafts.

-And install the new slyders, but find a new bolt to replace that 'torx' bolt that holds the slyder on at the top of the rail.

-Also, How are you shocks? are you happy with how stiff/soft they are? this is a good oportuinity to rebuild/re-valve..........

-make sure all bolts are in, tightened and not bent

-grease all 'zerks'

-adjust track to 1" of sag with a 10 pound weight hanging from the track.

SITE NOTES--> things to do to your 2005 Polaris XcSp 600

-replace stock bottom gear bolt with a higher quality bolt, and drill hole bigger for a bigger bolt

-Get rid of that POS PS3 rear shock (IMO, replace it with a Ryde-FX or Fox clicker)

-Anyone else have any notes to add?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking of tunnel protectors. But it looks like heat exchangers are where the tunnel protector would go...??

When replacing the torx bolt do you drill out the threads? Or are you saying thread a normal hex head bolt in its place? I did install new hyfax.

Spent about $120 replacing hardware so far...not including hyfax! [confused]

Where can I find the 4th wheel kit??

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
427cobra said:
I was thinking of tunnel protectors. But it looks like heat exchangers are where the tunnel protector would go...?? Sorry, forget about that idea.[/color=red]

When replacing the torx bolt do you drill out the threads? Or are you saying thread a normal hex head bolt in its place? I did install new hyfax. I just drilled out the hole in the rail where the torx goes through, and held a lock nut in tha little eye hole, and threaded a bolt into the nut..... Works good![/color=red]

Spent about $120 replacing hardware so far...not including hyfax! On what?[/color=red] [confused]

Where can I find the 4th wheel kit?? Just buy a wheel for the rear shaft, and press it onto the shaft where it will run between the track nub things. any rear wheel will do. [/color=red]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the 120 was spent on o-rings, bushings, bolts, washers. I got new exhaust gaskets too on that order. The small things add up...ha

I got those aluminum arms that are on the rear arm for $30/piece. I thought the bushings were worn. Turns out they were fine (same play as the in old ones compared to the new) So I will send those back...[thumb]

Got it together tonight and looks good. Maybe next year I will spend some $$ on powder coating parts. That would look pretty cool. For now I just used epoxy paint to touch up a few areas and polished the rails...[8D]

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
let us see it when its in!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will do! Hopefully get it in this week. I did find the 4th wheel kit. So hopefully that shows up and can get eveything installed!!

Any idea why polaris runs three wheels instead of the the 4?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hey 427cobra, u arent to far away, i ususally sled the ditches around muscatine and cedar counties,some times wapallo also. do u do all ur riding in the waterloo area up there?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Brian,

I just moved to the waterloo area. So not familiar with where to ride around here yet...

Im from Ill. Usually banged around in the ditches back there and on the IM canal. Usually make it up to the UP at least twice a year as well!!!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
U need to strip all the hood and belly pan decals exept for the white "polaris" on top of the hood, and the little "xc" in the middle of the hood below the headlight.

I think polaris91 has the best looking 05 xc out there...

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
jesse500 said:
SITE NOTES--> things to do to your 2005 Polaris XcSp 600

-replace stock bottom gear bolt with a higher quality bolt, and drill hole bigger for a bigger bolt
not needed, they make a higher quality bolt and they are for sale at napa. look into SF articles, ill see if a can find the link, that has the exact bolt type.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds good...let me know! Waiting for the 4th wheel kit before I put the suspension in the sled!

Got a new chrome windshield for it. So I am planning on removing a few decals. I like graphics so I wont get too crazy!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/article/Polaris_edge_chassis/display.aspx

there ya go, i can verify that this is a real problem, it happened to me twice!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts