Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone own a new Phazer? i am thinking about getting one here soon for my girlfriend but i was wondering what people think about them???

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have not rode one yet, but have a neighbor who just bought 2 of them They love them. They won't get you up a steep hill, but they seem to be real fun and easy to ride. Since they are only 80HP, they're not a screaming machine, but has enough HP to get you around OK. They have a very wide power band and pull from idle to wot. I am going to get one for the wife so I can play with it. Some say you get cold on them, but haven't heard that from anybody I know that has one. The sled rental place up the street bought 10 of them, and they are rented out all day every day, so some people must really like them

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I rode one for one day in Cooke City and I did not like it at all. It is tipping, no power, very uncomfortable, and hard to control on trails and bumpy trails. But, they were pretty fun in the 2-4 ft of snow when you were boondocking and stuff.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The Phazer is a different animal. An afternoon riding a demo sled is not nearly enough to get used to it. I just turned 500 miles on mine, and am now just starting to get it figured out.

Yes, it can be tippy. The suspension needs to be setup right, and you need to lean. If you lean, and give it some good body english, all tippiness is gone.

It will take a long time to get used to the engine braking. If you are in powder, or in a turn, you need to keep steady on the throttle, otherwise the nose will dive. However, once you get used to it, you'll find that you rarely use the brake to slow down, just let off the gas and the engine will slow you down without locking up the track.

Cold may be an issue. My Phazer does not have a windshield, so I don't know how that affects the wind blocking. My knees and thighs tend to get the coldest, but not to the point of unbearable cold. My best advise is to dress a little warmer than usual until you determine how cold you get on the sled.

I'm really happy with mine. The motor has a lot of torque, and will pull very hard until it reaches it's top speed. It's also really quiet, and is very easy to drive slowly, which helps for going through populated areas. I have the base model, so I don't know how well it does in the steep and deep. Just don't expect it to put Summits, RMK's, M-Cats, etc. to shame. It should work really good for general boondocking and screwing around off-trail, but I don't think it's meant as a hardcore highmarker.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I'm surprised Yamaha hasn't addressed the "engine braking" issue...unless they look at it as a benifit. I tried doing a few small jumps on my buddy's apex, and it scared the crap out of me because it seems like no matter what it nosedives with the engine braking, and with that touchy throttle I'm scared to give it gas over a jump. I want to turbo a phazer mtn. so bad when I get out of school, I'd like to hear everyone else's opinions as well, I haven't ridden one yet, I can't wait to get a chance to.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I plan on getting one in a couple years.

I don't see why people are so concerned about wind and getting cold. I ride my MX 470 at over 50 mph and it didn't have a windshield. No more different than my MXZ. I would think it would only get cold if your wearing jeans.

What are you guys talking about about the 'EGNINE BRAKING'?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I put 250 miles on one and let me tel you for 80 that thing goes. Imo its on of the better sleds out there in that class!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by snopro879
[br]I'm surprised Yamaha hasn't addressed the "engine braking" issue...unless they look at it as a benifit.
I don't believe there is any way to "fix" the engine braking. Maybe doing some clutch work could reduce it to a degree, but it is a characteristic of 4-stroke sleds. It's just the way it is.

Honestly, I really didn't like it much at all when I first started ridingmy Phazer. Now, I don't know how I rode without it. Coming up to a corner or a stop sign, just let off the gas, and the sled slows down quickly and predictably without using the brake. I only use the brake now for coming to a complete stops or emergency slowdowns.

Originally posted by extremesummerfilms
[br]What are you guys talking about about the 'EGNINE BRAKING'?
Exactly that, the compression of the engine slowing the sled down. It's pretty much the same as a car with a manual transmission. When you let off the gas with the clutch still engaged, you feel the car slow down because the compression of the engine with the throttle closed is slowing the car down. Engine braking. Same exact thing happens on a 4-stroke sled, until both clutches return to idle position, then the sled just freewheels.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
engine braking is jsut part of a 4 strokes nature go ride an apex then a phazer and u won't think the phazer has hardly any engine braking. also the sled is not tippy once u learn to ride it. u jsut can't sit down and go like most 2 strokes with their low C of G withy this sled u adctually got be up and moving and ur actually ride it and not just sit down. give it around 150 hp then a 153x15 maverick track and u got one helluva mtn lite. still light and tossable for boondocking but now powerful and light so it will climb great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts