Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd start this since the snow is getting deep enough to get some miles on.

Got to ride my Phazer today on the trails. A nice 83 miles. All I can say is WOW, this was definitely worth the money. It was slow going, as I'm trying to be nice to the engine and follow break in procedures.

The engine is strong, plenty strong. Top end is still yet to be determined, but she pulls hard when you give it. The clutch engagement is smooth. You can creep along very easily with this as well, which is nice for going around people walking on the trails without looking like a jerk.

The suspension is awesome. Even though I haven't touched it since I bought it, it soaks up moguls like nothing. I think I have a little to much ski pressure right now, so some adjustments should take care of that.

The seating position is going to take some getting used to. The rider forward position as a little new to me. The seat is the perfect height for transferring from sitting to standing, very smooth motion.

This is definitely a body english sled. I did some turning while sitting straight up, and some while leaning. Like night and day. Even small shifts make this thing corner like crazy. The narrow seat really helps with this too.

On to a few downsides. It did get a little windy. My legs got a little cold. This may have been because I wasn't riding very hard, because my feet were cold too, which doesn't happen when I'm actually getting a work out. Next, there is a lot of snow that flies around the back of this sled. Now, this may have been because I was running through 8" of fluffy powder, but it still got everywhere.

I don't know what the gas mileage is yet, but I still have over half a tank left at 83 miles, which is around 25ish mpg.

I'm really pleased with this sled so far. I'll update my review once I get the break in done, and am able to open this thing up. Until then, here are some first ride pics.

[attachment=50758]
[attachment=50760]

Lets hear some more reviews.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
nice review, nice pictures. sounds like your having fun. Haven't had the sleds out yet myself.... still see grass in my yard.... :-(

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Well I logged 19 miles, and here is how I can some it up: WOW! When I get off the thing, I say, I wanna ride more! We have little snow conditions, so I got a change to pound the gopher mounds, ruts, and all kinds of bumps in the ditched, and sitting down is good, a little stiff in the rear, I havn't touched anything yet for settings. When I stand up, I feel nothing! It's amazing! I rode with ease, 43mph over constant gopher mounds and I look back and I see my buddy way behind getting killed with the Xtra-10. I was able to do a little jump on a dip, and it was cake, plus, there is more to the suspension then I even tested with today!

Sidehilling is easy, I can easily flip up any ski on inclines and hold it in the air while zipping a long, almost graceful.

I thought it was going to be a cold ride, but I was wrong. It was maybe 8 degrees today, and I was warm as can be, I've got full Yamaha gear, they make good stuff so far.

What I do not like is the Reverse sometimes will not go back into Drive or vice versa. I have to turn the machine off and restart it and it defaults back into drive. Only has happened a few times.

She pulls pretty hard, I am excited to get a chance hopefully soon to log some miles and then open her up to see what she will do!

I instantly feel comfortable on this machine, I have never been on a rider forward type sled, I got onto my XLT Special today and old Ultra, and I can't stand them anymore, they ride like crap, feel like pigs, and are uncomfortable. And I been riding wedges my whole entire life and I want to get rid of them all after riding the Phazer.

Yesterday I had cooling issues, ofcourse had very little snow, so I was doing reading on TY about it, I added water wetter, and plan on ordering a Venture electric radiator fan for added protection.

The machine is quiet, I love the sound, and I think I am going to put different exhuast on it soon.

So even though I only have 19 miles, I wanna ride more! I think Yamaha got something good going for them here, if this turns out to be an awesome performer, I probably will not hesitate to snow check an 08 with a bigger motor and keep this one too!

-Skip

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
i get my mtn lite this thursday and got some deep snow here and i am also getting some changes made to the ecu like boosting the fuel so i should be getting close to 90hp and my dad is getting the same to his apex getting over 160hp probably 165. since the dealer is three hours away and my dad is getting reverse put on his sled so we will be there all day im bringing my riding gear so that if there is snow i can ride all day while the reverse is installed on my dads sled.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like a sick little sled, can't wait to test one. Has anyone heard about aftermarket parts and performance upgrades? I checked one out yesterday at the local dealer and it looks like a BLAST! The whole wind protection thing bothers me tho.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
now i don't get my phazer till next tuesday :(. still waiting for avalanche gear to come in. its gonna look nice with my powdermadd handguards and i also get handlebar hooks

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a Phazer so I'm trying to find all the rider reviews I can. Thanks for posting.

For one thing, I'm trying to decide on which model to buy. I'm leaning toward the GT as I'm not a real aggressive rider, and the added wind protection would be nice. But I'm also on a tight budget, so spending $800 less and getting the base model is tempting. Can anyone speak to how much of an improvement the GT's suspension is over the base model? I'm riding an '87 Indy right now, so even the base model will be a massive improvement.

Does it feel tippy at all? I sat on one at a dealership and I was surprised by how high up I felt.

The only other difference between the base and GT/FX I see is the "electronic shifting". This may be a dumb question, but what's that?

What can I expect to pay out the door? I know that varies from dealer to dealer, but I've never bought a new sled, so how much negotiating room is there usually?

Thanks!

-Ryan

·
Registered
28 Posts
One more question - what's the liklihood of a bigger engine in the Phazer next year? I'm a little leary of buying a first year sled anyway, and I don't want to be pissed when the 120 hp version comes out next year.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
i have heard that the phazer is and intro model adn there will be much more phazers next year definately a bigger engine. also the "electronic shifting" is just the drive and reverse gear is stead of manual changing into reverse like pulling on a lever all u do is push a button and it shifts into reverse this is NOT and elctronic reverse like skidoo or polaris there is just a little solenoid or motor that changes the gear for u.. also from my veiw but i have not sat on a phazer yet nor seen one in real life but i belive that a 4 stroke sled will always feel more tippy than a two stroke just because 4 stoke enigines for the most part are larger and so they can't sit as low in the sled as a two stroke. this opinio mya change with the phazer but after owing an 03 rx1 and an 06 apex it seems that way

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by sledzeppelin
[br]I'm thinking of getting a Phazer so I'm trying to find all the rider reviews I can. Thanks for posting.

For one thing, I'm trying to decide on which model to buy. I'm leaning toward the GT as I'm not a real aggressive rider, and the added wind protection would be nice. But I'm also on a tight budget, so spending $800 less and getting the base model is tempting. Can anyone speak to how much of an improvement the GT's suspension is over the base model? I'm riding an '87 Indy right now, so even the base model will be a massive improvement.

Does it feel tippy at all? I sat on one at a dealership and I was surprised by how high up I felt.

The only other difference between the base and GT/FX I see is the "electronic shifting". This may be a dumb question, but what's that?

What can I expect to pay out the door? I know that varies from dealer to dealer, but I've never bought a new sled, so how much negotiating room is there usually?

Thanks!

-Ryan
Out the door I paid a bit under $6300 for my base Phazer. As far as negotiating, I have no idea. In April, I walked into the dealer, said I want a Phazer, and walked out with a $6000 loan from Yamaha. 5 months later, my sled showed up. I honestly don't think dealers make all that much on sleds. You might be able to get some accessories tossed into the deal, but don't count on it.

Here's a quick rundown on the differences between the models you're looking at.

Base: Like the name, it's the base model. Standard gas cell shocks, no handlebar hooks, no handguards, no windshield, no reverse. I love my base model. I may upgrade the shocks at the end of the season, but it probably won't be necessary. Add some handguards if you go with this sled though. If you need reverse though, you'll have to step up to the next level.

FX: Best shocks, small windshield, handlebar hooks, handguards, reverse. This is a more extreme version of the base model. Talk to Skipponator. He has an FX, and would be able to give you first hand experience of an FX.

GT: This is more of a trail cruiser sled. A larger windshield, some wind skirts by your legs, better shocks than the base, reverse, and I believe slightly less travel up front (an inch I think).

I believe the suspension front and rear, except the shocks, are identical. However, with the better shocks on the GT, you may be able to dial them in a little better than the regular shocks on the base model.

You will get better wind protection with the GT. I've been pretty warm so far with mine, but my thighs and my, um, "goods", tend to get cold if I'm not aggressively riding.

Is it tippy? No. You do need to lean to get the sled to do exactly what you want in a corner, though. But you won't go down the trail fighting to stay upright.

The electronic shift is for the reverse gear. Mechanical reverse, since it's a 4-stroker. The reverse gear is moved electronically, just push a button, and you're good to go. No levers, no cables.

I got the go ahead to start cracking the throttle on the Phazer today. Man, does this thing pull hard, and I didn't even have it to the bar. I wanted to, but it was dark, and after I almost smoked some deer, I slowed down a bit.

Hope this helped you a bit on your purchase. You won't be disappointed if you get one, I know I'm not. Keep us updated on your decision.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
i got a skidplate and belt thrown into the deal on my sled

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
The FX has a different rear suspension I believe other the other models, not just shocks. But I could be wrong. After I am done moving today I am going to go ditch bang some more, that is if we still have snow left, it's fricken 30*!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Originally posted by donhoe
[br]nice review, nice pictures. sounds like your having fun. Haven't had the sleds out yet myself.... still see grass in my yard.... :-(
same thing for me havent had the sleds out and can still see grass wish i couldn't see it tho that would be sweet

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got out for most of the day today... Just trying to break it in, so I cannot tell the how the top end will handle the 144 track.

I can say that it is a blast to throw around and has great throttle response. I don't necessarily think this is something to trade your SummitX in if you are a climber, but it is going to be an awesome boondocking sled...I plan to lose some weight (-40lbs) as soon as I get more info on transferring a Yoshimura exhaust (anybody out there done it already?, etc

More to come-

[attachment=51500]

Few more pics share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=9AcOWLNs5aMV4

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Skipponator
[br]The FX has a different rear suspension I believe other the other models, not just shocks. But I could be wrong. After I am done moving today I am going to go ditch bang some more, that is if we still have snow left, it's fricken 30*!
Yep, you're right. The FX has the ProActive CK skid, and the others have just the ProActive. I have no idea what the difference is though.

I wish it was 30 degrees here. I'd be out riding if it were. Instead, it's 41 degrees here in Hancock, MI, and it's supposed to rain next week. My sled is now sitting on grass, and I'm done riding for a while.[V]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks a lot for the replies!

Has anyone ridden both the GT and FX? How much of a difference in the ride is there? Like I said, I'm not real aggressive, so I'm leaning toward the GX, but I also want to be able to throw it around a bit, so I don't want something that's really made to be a trail cruiser.

Is there a difference in speed or acceleration between the two? I think I read somewhere that they're geared differently.

How quiet are they? Part of the attraction of a 4 stroke for me is the quietness of them, but with that 4 stroke engine screaming at 11,000 RPMs, it seems like it still might be loud.

-Ryan

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
For noise, you cannot hear it with a Ultra idling with a DG silencer, atleast up to 9k rpms, never taken it higher then that yet, on a calm day with no noise, you can hear it from a good distance, sounds like a wheeler or dirtbike!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, figured I'd keep this going....

Finally got some more miles on. Up to 292 miles now. Took it down to Northern WI over Christmas break, and got to try out some hard moguls and twisty trails.[:D][:D][:D]

I used to cringe when I saw moguls. Now I look for them. It is so stable over the rough stuff. Just stand at the back of the running boards, loosen up the grip just a tad, and let the sled dance under you. I also found that it it very easy to control when you unexpectedly hit something off camber. It doesn't get out of shape, and the skis stay pretty flat. I only bottomed out the rear skid once, but so did everyone else on the same part, so not to shabby.

Corners are fun. I just push one knee into the plastic side covers, and hook the other one onto the seat, and the corners come and go without any concern. Again, ya gotta put some bady english into this thing, but I love hanging off the seat. With body english, it corners very flat and predictably.

I also got to wind the motor out in the UP a few days ago. Had some long stretches with no traffic, so I "cleaned the carbon" out of the engine. The tach saw a bit over 11,000 rpm, and the spedo was somewhere in the 70's. I still had a little bit until it was to the bar, but this was a trail, not a lake, so I didn't go all out. The engine pulls really hard, and gets me quickly to a speed that's fine by me. Plenty of power. This is also slowly increasing the throttle, not stabbing it to the bar. I'll wait to do that after the oil change. I would say there is a slight plataeu on power near the 70's on the speedo, but it's not like it hits a wall and doesn't pull anymore. If someone were to put a more aggressive clutch setup in there, it would probably be insane. The engine also sounds pretty cool at 11,000 rpm.

I've encountered 2 slight problems so far. Darting and traction. The darting is minimal, but can get bad if you get sucked into those Pilot ski grooves or wide double carbide grooves. But that seems to be be common with any single carbide ski. Down in WI, the trails were icy, and I don't have studs. The brake is pretty touchy on the Phazer, and that led to some sideways sliding into corners. Solution: Put studs on, or be careful. Staring off traction was pretty good on hardpack, but the track spins a lot on the looser UP trails. I believe this is just the characteristics of the Ripsaw, and nothing really to do with the sled.

I have yet to bend the tunnel, and the skid is still in one piece.

The engine seems to run better and better every time I ride.

I've been thinking about doing some clutching and gearing, but I'm quite pleased about how it runs right now. I think I may just leave it alone.

I'm just waiting for some deeper snow to try out it's off trail capabilities. I have the base model, not the Mt. Lite, so I'm really interested in it's powder skills. I'll report on that next, as well as the difficulty level of changing the oil. I'll try and make a How-To on that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i work for a dealership so i have been able to take all of the phazer models and an apex out.. the fx and the mountain lite are my favorite but they are all pretty similar.. next year they are making a 1000CC 2 cylinder phazer . im excited to see how it does. i havent been able to take the short track modles out in the powder but this weekend my boss had a mountain light in the mountains and i got to ride it . it does well in the deeper snow but it would be nicer to have a 15 or 16 inch wide track on it because it wold trench a bit in the trees. i didnt like how long the track on the apex was because it was hard to manuver around trees when we were going cross country but it was nice in the deep stuff and when we were climbing hills it had no problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
just got back from cantwell with my 07 phazer mtlt...i have 330mi on it but about 75 was yesterday an day befer..its godam deep with a base here an there...trailin was great ill call it a caddilack..33mph in deep powder max..umm..fun to jump for sure..smooth..seems like it pretty poopless top end..i spent more time diggin out while my buddy smiled by me on his 440 to help me out...doesn't climb for SHNIT but some tuning here some nitrous there..but what was i expecting for 80horse?..lots of mods left to do so i still happy..and gas mileage you just cant fark with..it likes to pack on ice so it felt like ridin with a 3rd grader strapped to my sled for a bit...and my beer belly dont help..not too shabby overall and i sure its gonna get better

1 - 20 of 33 Posts