Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, just want to here from owners there taughs on thoses sleds.

Are they fast, tuff.

I run a 2007 IQ 600 HO and the only real issue is the carbs are loading on the idle. Other than that, I've change the head gasket and that thing is very realible.

But want to get more and move to the 800cc class. I've heard things like the 600cc is the tuffest sled from Polaris, so I'm a bit affraid of going bigger and having bigger problem.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
the 07 600 IQ's didnt have carbs that i know have. and we have 2. after the updates they are great engines with awesome midrange and unbelievable torque. ive ridden them trail and cross country, and theyre flat out amazing.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I hear lots of crap about the 800 polaris, but that may have been resolved by now. I am talking about the Dragon, i think, engine that was blowing pistons after a few hundred miles. But i could easily be wrong, and i have never driven one.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dragon700 said:
the 07 600 IQ's didnt have carbs that i know have. and we have 2. after the updates they are great engines with awesome midrange and unbelievable torque. ive ridden them trail and cross country, and theyre flat out amazing.

The 600 IQ's come with carbs or CFI. Carbs 120hp and CFI 125hp.

I heard more problems on the CFI version than the carbs but you know, it is what it is!!!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
the new 800's are supposed to be fixed, they changed there injection system, and there has been problems with them leaning out, they were not mapped right, happend to my brotherinlaw at 3800 miles on his 08 dragon 700 efi, so if your looking to get a newer bigger motor i would reccomend the new 800's in a rush or something like that. hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bj.hardy said:
the new 800's are supposed to be fixed, they changed there injection system, and there has been problems with them leaning out, they were not mapped right, happend to my brotherinlaw at 3800 miles on his 08 dragon 700 efi, so if your looking to get a newer bigger motor i would reccomend the new 800's in a rush or something like that. hope this helps!!!
yep this is the kind of info I liked

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
the 800h.o cfi motor (2008 & 2009) motor out of Iq's, they are known for grenading at low miles(under 2000) do to leaning out and dangerous backfiring and overheating. They also had probelms with fuel mapping and needed reflashes that never worked.

only about half were tempermental. Some people have 4000 or so miles on their motors and have 0 issues other than 1 or 2 reflashes. But alot use PC5 or PCV to cure the reflash and fuel map problem.

I(d personally stay away from a 800cc 4 injector motor........ Just what theyre worth, isnt worth the risk in my mind.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jesse500 said:
the 800h.o cfi motor (2008 & 2009) motor out of Iq's, they are known for grenading at low miles(under 2000) do to leaning out and dangerous backfiring and overheating. They also had probelms with fuel mapping and needed reflashes that never worked.

only about half were tempermental. Some people have 4000 or so miles on their motors and have 0 issues other than 1 or 2 reflashes. But alot use PC5 or PCV to cure the reflash and fuel map problem.

I(d personally stay away from a 800cc 4 injector motor........ Just what theyre worth, isnt worth the risk in my mind.
Well that's what I taugh and I want to stay out of that trouble.

How about the 800cc in Bombardier, I think there a lot better right?

I love the weight saving too. Artic cat is to heavy for me.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
If you want a true Polaris 800...find an XCR800.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
my uncles 09 assault has had all the updates done to it and the slp can put on and it still has the midrange hessitation. never had a problem with it other then that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KRSS144 said:
If you want a true Polaris 800...find an XCR800.
the IQ models is my perfect machine. At over 6 foot 2 it rides awsome and handle like nothing else.

That's the main reason why I want to stay in Polaris.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know that my 600 IQ like's as a lot. Always the worst at hte pump.

How about the 800?

Is it worst at the pump compare to the Doo's and Artic cat?

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
my dad has a 2010 dragon 800 and hes got almost 2000 miles on it and loves it no hesitation or problems what so ever he bought it at the beginning of febuary because his 07 700 blew up. he says this sled is the best running sled he has owned sence his 00 xcr 800 with the htg 180 kit

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
polaris91 said:
my dad has a 2010 dragon 800 and hes got almost 2000 miles on it and loves it no hesitation or problems what so ever he bought it at the beginning of febuary because his 07 700 blew up. he says this sled is the best running sled he has owned sence his 00 xcr 800 with the htg 180 kit
But I only have 7000$ to spend. So Bombardier might be the only option

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
jesse500 said:

I(d personally stay away[highlight=yellow] from a 800cc 4 injector motor.[/highlight=yellow]....... Just what theyre worth, isnt worth the risk in my mind.

the new motors are 2 injector, this is supposed to be the fix all, i believe it should be and tons of power,

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
PolarisIQ600HO said:
jesse500 said:

How about the[highlight=red] 800cc in Bombardier, I think there a lot better right?[/highlight=red]
depends what years. pre P-tek engines were crap. onlt 140 hp and signle ring pistons so the flaked and took a crap around 4000 miles

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dragon700 said:
PolarisIQ600HO said:
jesse500 said:

How about the[highlight=red] 800cc in Bombardier, I think there a lot better right?[/highlight=red]
depends what years. pre P-tek engines were crap. onlt 140 hp and signle ring pistons so the flaked and took a crap around 4000 miles

Friend of mine just baught a Bombardier 2008. So I'm looking in a 800 in the same years or younger!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
if you buy a Liberty 800 that has the updates it will be more powerful than a rotax 800 (bombardier is the engineer of the sleds. not the engine maker) just figured id clear that up

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Dragon700 said:
PolarisIQ600HO said:
jesse500 said:

Dragon700 said:
if you buy a Liberty 800 that has the updates it will be more powerful than a rotax 800 (bombardier is the engineer of the sleds. not the engine maker) just figured id clear that up
The ring problems was in the 03 and 04 800 H.O. motors. The ring flaking wasn't because the motors were single ring pistons but because of the chrome coating on them. Most of those ring problems were taken care of with a recall. After the flaking rings were fixed the 03-05 800 H.O. doos were very strong, and as reliable as any other manufacturer. When Doo came out with the 06 800 powertek motor that is the supposed most reliable that Doo had out of the box. The 06 800 Summit is a pretty highly sought out Rev chassis sled. Your "only 140" hp sled was pretty much the norm until Doo came out with the 151 800r powerplant for the 2007 year.

Dragon 700, Where do you get your information? I don't know what you're talking about when you say Bombardier isn't the engine maker but the engineer of the sleds. Bombardier is the parent company of Ski Doo, the same parent company of Can Am atvs and Sea Doo watercraft. Ski Doo is the North American snowmobile division of Bombardier while Lynx is the European snowmobile division of Bombardier. Bombardier makes Ski Doo snowmobiles. You're quite misinformed about a couple things.

As far as wondering about the reliability of the sleds I'm a diehard Ski Doo guy and have heard mixed reviews about both the Ski Doo and new Polaris powerplants. With that said I'm looking for a 800 Summit xp 154 right now. If you decided to buy a 08 Doo make sure the sled has had all the updates done to it. There should be some clutch updates, drive shaft update, depending on the model there could be carb updates, and there are also a few retrofit kits to add a few of the new features the 2010 and 2011 sleds have. The 09 and '10 Doos should already have the updates done on them. I haven't heard of too many guys having problems other than a few isolated events.

If you decided to buy a 800 Polaris you also want to make sure that sled has had the 2010 update which I believe includes a new 2010 top end, a reflash, SLP pipe and can. I've also heard about the midrange bog, I personally have a riding buddy who I go on all my sledding trips with who has 70 miles on his sled has the new topend, but still has the bog. He's now decided to do the dynoport flash so he can only ride it 3,000' and above. There are other guys running the PC5 who say their sleds are incredible, ask MNSLEDNECKS about his. Other are running a fan and pulling 220 hp out of that sled and are enjoying the hell out of it too, talk with RMK-KING on here, Silber on snowest, or go to his website www.silberturbos.com.

Either sled you're going to decide on will likely have problems, it's a snowmobile, but you will likely be happy with your purchase if you decide to go the route of a 800.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
^^^^^Lots of good info here from flatlander_summit.

As for fuel as you were asking before, if you were always the most at the pump with your 600 and all your buddies have 600's your going to be even more at the pump with an 800. That is just the nature of the beast, more displacement needs more fuel when your riding hard. As for BRP's 800 compared to Polaris's 800 for fuel comsumption, I think they are pretty compareable but the Polaris does use a little more. I think American Snowmobiler's long term test 800 Dragon Switchback was averaging about 11 mpgs after it was fully broken in.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts