Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a 2008 M8 153 with a rebuilt engine in it for 2500. The only thing is it has been in a front end collision and needs a arms bulkhead, possibly the tunnel, and a new hood. i priced out all the parts on browns leisure world and it was $2300 for parts. is this sled worth it?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Are you gunna do all the work yourself?
If the sled needs a new tunnel, then it has been totaled, and getting a totaled sled with intentions to ride is an extreme amount of work.
That said, I would think if you wanted, you could buy that, resell by parting it out, and you could easily make a profit.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Personally I think not. If a sled is damaged all the way to the bulkhead odds are the tunnel isn't straight either. You will have almost 2 grand into it in parts by the time it's together. Which is the reason he is trying to get rid of it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya, i suppose. that is the exact sled i want lol they are hard to find here so i figured maybe worth it. They go for around 8000 here if they are all good, and for a new tunnel and bulkhead it costs $2000 so by the end i figure i would have 4500 into it if i can get the sled for 2000. just a thought, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
He must want to ride it.
If you want to do that project, i guess it shouldnt be horrible. That is a lot alot alot of work.

·
Registered
474 Posts
If its a dream sled and you can get a good deal on it (plus putting several hours and beers into it) might make your "dream sled" worth that much more to you.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
well, i suppose if you know what your doing, it wouldn't be that difficult of a repair. But how many miles are on the chassis? and how many on the rebuilt motor? That may make a big difference in the value of the sled

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the motor has 20 miles (his first ride) and i am not sure how many on the chassis. it is between this sled or another guy wants to trade me a 1999 powder special 700 with 3200 miles and a bunch of new bearings for my 580 plus 1000 dollars.. what do you guys think is better?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I don't think its worth it. Out west you can find that sled for around $5000 easy. 2007s go for $4000-$5000 And is the same sled. I would not mess with a 2008 or 2007 M8, either get a 2009 or newer or save some money and get an M7. I believe the M7 will pull with a stock 08 M8.

Also Arctic cat is coming out with a new mountain sled this year. Just waight till the spring the M8's will go down in price a bunch. Just like the dragons did. So for that same sled out here I bet you will be able to pick one up for $4000 this spring and next year.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
^^ I second that notion. I would leave the headache for someone else to get experimented on. You don't know what that sled will bring you down the road.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I would say that if you have the know how and the ambition then go for it. I have built a number of sleds from a bare chassis up. I find the work more rewarding and the ride just that much more enjoyable when I am riding something that I built from the ground up.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys, i think i am gonna hold off on the m8 and maybe get a 2010 with the H.O. next year. i might trade for a 99 powder special 700 tomorrow so that will deffinately be an upgrade lol

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Those 700s had crank problems bad. Just FYI.

Have you looked into buying an M7. My wife has one and its a great sled. Great prices around too. Lots of things you can do to the M7's. I had an 07 M8 for a while and the M7 did just as good on the hills. But the M7 you could throw around so much easier. Also you can make the 05 M7 like its a 2011 M series. everything will change over.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
WY_rider said:
Those 700s had crank problems bad. Just FYI.

Have you looked into buying an M7. My wife has one and its a great sled. Great prices around too. Lots of things you can do to the M7's. I had an 07 M8 for a while and the M7 did just as good on the hills. But the M7 you could throw around so much easier. Also you can make the 05 M7 like its a 2011 M series. everything will change over.
I didn't know the 700's had crank problems i thought the 600's did?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i cant afford to buy one this year, i start working on the rigs around here in the spring so next year i am going to get an m8 but for this year i will either keep my 580 or get the powder special.. how much problems did the 700's have with the cranks if you kept the clutch good? i always thought those sleds had crank problems from the primary having a lack of maintenace and throwing it out of balance?

·
Registered
1 Posts
WY_rider said:
I don't think its worth it. Out west you can find that sled for around $5000 easy. 2007s go for $4000-$5000 And is the same sled. I would not mess with a 2008 or 2007 M8, either get a 2009 or newer or save some money and get an M7. I believe the M7 will pull with a stock 08 M8.

Also Arctic cat is coming out with a new mountain sled this year. Just waight till the spring the M8's will go down in price a bunch. Just like the dragons did. So for that same sled out here I bet you will be able to pick one up for $4000 this spring and next year.
Maybe in Wyoming. Here in Denver, i've been watching craigslist all winter for m7's and m8's. All the newer models are over $6000.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts